This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gigaton-Falcon-Emu View Post
    Just saw this and I cannot sufficiently state how excited I am by this development! I am also very pleased by the new plans moving forward!

My question is very (not) simple, what is your vision for warstriders?

Also do you still plan to tie 'generational' themes to DB evocations?
    I just sent the warstrider system to OPP to circulate for some internal playtesting, and have spent most of today writing Evocations for All-Conquering Colossus. I'm not sure if it's a particularly visionary system. It does most of the things you'd expect giant walking god-metal armors to be able to do: going toe-to-to with humongous behemoths, pulling off incredible feats of strength, sending armies scattering before them. My goal with the design was to make the base system clean and easy to understand, and save the larger part of their complexity for individual warstrider Evocations. These are learned in the same way as any other, but they operate on the same gigantic scale as a warstrider, so they pack a hell of a whallop.

Generational themes are a big part of the Dragon-Blooded. All the artifacts you see in their book are going to be heirlooms that have been passed down through a Great House (and, wordcount permitting, a Lookshyan Gentes). There isn't any singular mechanic that represents this, but it can be reflected in many ways in the design of an artifact's Evocations.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Warstriders! One of my players is really excited about them. Could you tell us how many examples will we find in upcoming books?

Also, will Arms have guidelines for creating our own Artifacts? If yes, how detailed?

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
      Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Originally posted by putty View Post
        Speaking of Ex3 Antagonists, will there be more beings on the level of Ahlat or stronger?

I have been running an Exalted game for over a year now, and I find making powerful beings both unique and challenging one of the most difficult things as an ST.
        That's something I've heard a lot, and getting out more powerful antagonists that can be a Solar Circle boss fight is on my list of priorities.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Regarding the ever-mysterious "as of yet unrevealed" new Exalteds: when should we expect some more hints about their identities? Dragon-Blooded? The Realm? The appropriate "resonant" splat book?

Comment

Will there be any Solar antagonists among the Ex3 Antagonist booklets? I understand that we already have the true blue rules for making Solars, but it would be nice to see some Solars done out in a prebuilt package. They'd be stronger, in all likelihood, than most other Exalted QCs and pose a greater challenge that way. And also, though this might not be reflective of their design, they could be palette-swapped to serve as Abyssals in a pinch as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              That's something I've heard a lot, and getting out more powerful antagonists that can be a Solar Circle boss fight is on my list of priorities.
              Juuuust gonna put it here for the record, if the RCMP start an investigation based on a strange explosion in my basement, it's because my head self-vaporized with excitement. Please use this as evidence of no wrong-doing on Vance's part here please.

Comment

Originally posted by Keichiokami View Post
                1. In the charm Awakening Eye, it provides a free excellency of Perception+Awareness added to a Join Battle roll. I was curious as to why it was Perception and not Wits? Was it a thematic choice to make so that more observant characters have an edge via Awakening Eye? I have legit been wracking my brain over it as I now have two different characters with the charm.
                Alas, I didn't write it, so I can't say for sure what that reasoning was. I can say that players tend to be much more likely to buy up Wits than Perception, so having Charms that incentive investing it does some useful things.

2. Do you envision the incoming Cores (Dragonblooded, Existigent, and Lunar) will be the majority source for new Martial Arts and Sorcery or will there be a dedicated sourcebooks for them like Book of Three Circles and Scroll of the Monk, and only a small amount of new MA and Sorcery in the Core splatbooks?
                The plan is to have new Martial Arts styles and sorcerous spells that are thematically on point for each book (maybe not Exigents—wordcount's going to be at a premium there). On the other hand, that doesn't mean we won't do a book of sorcery (which we've definitely talked about doing) or MA.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I just sent the warstrider system to OPP to circulate for some internal playtesting, and have spent most of today writing Evocations for All-Conquering Colossus. I'm not sure if it's a particularly visionary system. It does most of the things you'd expect giant walking god-metal armors to be able to do: going toe-to-to with humongous behemoths, pulling off incredible feats of strength, sending armies scattering before them. My goal with the design was to make the base system clean and easy to understand, and save the larger part of their complexity for individual warstrider Evocations. These are learned in the same way as any other, but they operate on the same gigantic scale as a warstrider, so they pack a hell of a whallop.

Generational themes are a big part of the Dragon-Blooded. All the artifacts you see in their book are going to be heirlooms that have been passed down through a Great House (and, wordcount permitting, a Lookshyan Gentes). There isn't any singular mechanic that represents this, but it can be reflected in many ways in the design of an artifact's Evocations.
                  I will not lie I am incredibly pleased by this, I am going to be greedy and ask. Are we getting ballpark figures for how many warstriders different groups have like previous editions?

I do not mean an exact number so much as a good enough idea to be able to conclude whether X number of warstriders is too many/too few for this faction. Similarly will we get a similar idea for other power artifacts (like five dots and N/A) or do you think that will either never come or is more the subject for a future book?

Comment

Congratulations!

I'd be curious to know if the Bestiary and the Antagonists books will offer support for existing material such as Ephemeral Induction Technique and the Eclipse anima power?

The homebrewing aspect of Artifacts has obviously been on the forefront and I'm sure Arms gives us plenty of perspective to them, so I'm putting up a big wish to help out the Storytellers and Pokémon masters alike. More latent/magical/poachable abilities and guidelines to building/balancing QCs would be most welcome! Perhaps even a small write-up on the mechanical nature of the Fair Folk?!

Looking for an online game or a place to discuss Exalted in real time? Check out the Exalted Gaming Discord server. The UCS would.

Comment

Congrats again on the new devs! I hope Holden and John live goodly, and I hope they write more fluff because I liked their fluff. They are good writers.

Lunars have always been my favorite splat and that Lunar writeup sounds amazing.

Are the Rakshas gonna have a thematic overhaul or are they gonna stay alien? I read somewhere that the Fair Folk were originally supposed to be different.

Comment

My goal with the design was to make the base system clean and easy to understand, and save the larger part of their complexity for individual warstrider Evocations.
                        Words cannot describe how overjoyed reading those words made me!

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumi View Post
                          Congratulations!

I'd be curious to know if the Bestiary and the Antagonists books will offer support for existing material such as Ephemeral Induction Technique and the Eclipse anima power?

The homebrewing aspect of Artifacts has obviously been on the forefront and I'm sure Arms gives us plenty of perspective to them, so I'm putting up a big wish to help out the Storytellers and Pokémon masters alike. More latent/magical/poachable abilities and guidelines to building/balancing QCs would be most welcome! Perhaps even a small write-up on the mechanical nature of the Fair Folk?!
                          We want the Bestiary and Antagonists material to provide lots of support for running games, and adding new Eclipse Charms and familiar tricks is part of that. In an ideal world, every single spirit write-up would introduce at least one new Eclipse Charm.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Anaximander View Post
                            Regarding the ever-mysterious "as of yet unrevealed" new Exalteds: when should we expect some more hints about their identities? Dragon-Blooded? The Realm? The appropriate "resonant" splat book?
                            I wouldn't expect to see anything really substantive on them until, at the very earliest, Lunars are done. Hints, though—hints you might get sooner. :3

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Alas, I didn't write it, so I can't say for sure what that reasoning was. I can say that players tend to be much more likely to buy up Wits than Perception, so having Charms that incentive investing it does some useful things.

The plan is to have new Martial Arts styles and sorcerous spells that are thematically on point for each book (maybe not Exigents—wordcount's going to be at a premium there). On the other hand, that doesn't mean we won't do a book of sorcery (which we've definitely talked about doing) or MA.

Thank you so much for your quick responses. I understand how important word count will be for Exigents. The insight to building charms will be more than enough to make up for not having more spells and MA in that particular book. ^_^

May you live in interesting times...

Storyteller of Sun Forged Oath

Comment

Vance and Minton. I'm going to lob you guys a soft ball question to start out, and then ask something more difficult.

Boxers or briefs? This is important because it strikes the the heart of the sort of people who will be running the Exalted line.

And then next question since I know if I don't ask, someone else will. What is your opinion on having a development process that is a bit more open to the community? I notice you posted that little Arms of the Chosen preview. Is that something we can generally expect will happen in the future, or will this be just a one time thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X