Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any advise on how to construct a charmset or a new exalt splat? Things to keep in mind? Potential pitfalls to avoid?

I hope that some of these questions may be answered in the Exigents book but as that's been pushed back it'll be a long time before we can get these answers otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
      So I am curious, will the lunar strength excellency be usable to meet minimums for a feat of strength or will that be in different charms like Yeddim's Back Method? (I will absolutely accept "haven't planned that far" as an answer).
      Haven't pinned down solid answers for a lot of that stuff so far. What I concretely know is:

-Appearance Excellency absolutely can't let them raise their Appearance to determine how much non-Charm bonus dice they add, because that'd be super broken.

-Stamina Excellency should probably let them boost their soak, because otherwise it's hands-down the weakest of their Excellencies.

The Tepet preview has me so very very very excited for dragon bloods. You guys are doing absolutely amazing work! Keep it up!
      Thank you! I've really been thrilled by the response to it.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
        Do you have any advise on how to construct a charmset or a new exalt splat? Things to keep in mind? Potential pitfalls to avoid?

I hope that some of these questions may be answered in the Exigents book but as that's been pushed back it'll be a long time before we can get these answers otherwise.
        The most important advice I can offer is: don't do any more work than you have to! If you're homebrewing a Charmset that is going to be used by one player character at your table, you absolutely don't need to write the hundreds of Charms that Solars and other Exalted meant to sustain a very large number of player characters have. If you can work out the fifteen Essence 1 Charms they want to start with, and procrastinate writing anything else until they actually want to buy new Charms, I think it'll do just fine.

Think about Charms and power balance holistically as a unified set of effects working together in conjunction, rather than evaluating them one-by-one.

Get other folks to read it and tell you what's unclear to them, playtest it, iterate.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
          Favorite demon of each circle(If you have 1 for each)?
          Favorite elemental?
          Favorite God?
          Keep in mind that these are the kind of answers that are going to change on a day-to-day basis.

Favorite 1CD: Neomah

Favorite 2CD: Sigereth

Favorite 3CD: Munaxes

Favorite Elemental: The First Wood Spider

Favorite God: Lytek

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

Favorite Elemental: The First Wood Spider
            As in the first ever? Or the one from First Edition?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

As in the first ever? Or the one from First Edition?
              The First Wood Spider is the name of a Lesser Elemental Dragon of Wood whose head is all spidery.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                Could you or Holden explain why Lunars can now add a second Attribute rating to their dice-caps when Lunars can already start with the Spirit Shape of an elephant or tyrant lizard?

Our intention was that when Lunars transform into something other than human form, anything in excess of their normal Attribute ratings counts as dice added by magic. We didn't intend to let you have three different floating "true" ratings like in previous editions, as it tended to encourage gaming the system by picking certain extreme animals for your totem shape. Remember, also, that compared to 1e and 2e, persistent scene-long dice boosts of any amount are quite rare in EX3 and thus significantly more valuable, so having them built straight into base capabilities is a pretty big coup for Lunars.

I cannot, of course, speak to what the current devs intend to do with Lunar forms and dice caps, as I'm no longer in the design loop lol. It's entirely possible that when they get to the Lunars hardback, they'll introduce a completely different dice cap for playable Lunars than what the core suggests, if they have a different design idea. Good design means going with the best idea when the rubber hits the road, not the first one to be suggested in print.

Former Exalted developer.
                --
                Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
                Follow my RPG ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

-Stamina Excellency should probably let them boost their soak, because otherwise it's hands-down the weakest of their Excellencies.
                  Absolutely true, but I suggest careful consideration of whether preventing Excellency value imbalance (esp. if they're free like with Solars) is more important than the amount of design space lost if the excellency semi-comprehensively covers major competency niches like "soak boost" and "damage boost." It's easy to lose HUGE swathes of design space to one or two powers without meaning to when working with Attribute Charms. They're by far the trickiest things to manage in the entire system, in no small part because they don't look as thorny as they really are.

Former Exalted developer.
                  --
                  Holden Reads the entire classic World of Darkness
                  Follow my RPG ramblings on Twitter.

Comment

The First Wood Spider is the name of a Lesser Elemental Dragon of Wood whose head is all spidery.

Comment

Haven't pinned down solid answers for a lot of that stuff so far. What I concretely know is:

-Appearance Excellency absolutely can't let them raise their Appearance to determine how much non-Charm bonus dice they add, because that'd be super broken.

Thank you! I've really been thrilled by the response to it.
                      I'm very glad to hear that about the stamina excellency and appearance excellency.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Also.

Hi Holden!

Comment

Well, not all excellencies are created equal, right? It's not like Solars get much more use out of their Resistance Excellency. Stamina and Resistance are almost always used together, after all.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
                        Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
                        Some Lintha QCs
                        A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Edit: Never mind, hang on.
                          Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 09-29-2017, 01:38 PM.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Holden View Post
                            Our intention was that when Lunars transform into something other than human form, anything in excess of their normal Attribute ratings counts as dice added by magic.
                            That is great to have confirmed!

It's honestly what I was hoping for, but because it wasn't printed in the core book, the possibility had slipped from my mind.

(Well, you say "Attribute", but animals don't have Attribute ratings, so I imagine you mean "dice pools".)

We didn't intend to let you have three different floating "true" ratings like in previous editions, as it tended to encourage gaming the system by picking certain extreme animals for your totem shape.
                            Yeah, was really happy to see that gone, along with form lock.

Right now, the only thing that makes your Spirit Form more of a "true form" than other animal shapes is that you start with it and it exposes your Tell to people to recognize later.

Remember, also, that compared to 1e and 2e, persistent scene-long dice boosts of any amount are quite rare in EX3 and thus significantly more valuable, so having them built straight into base capabilities is a pretty big coup for Lunars.
                            Right.

Actually, I can see that as a fair justification for making physical Lunar Charms more mote-expensive; fewer bursts of physical power in balance against better sustained physical power.

I cannot, of course, speak to what the current devs intend to do with Lunar forms and dice caps, as I'm no longer in the design loop lol. It's entirely possible that when they get to the Lunars hardback, they'll introduce a completely different dice cap for playable Lunars than what the core suggests, if they have a different design idea. Good design means going with the best idea when the rubber hits the road, not the first one to be suggested in print.
                            Of course.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

And now I regret having a severe arachnaphobe as one of my players...ah well. Sounds cool anyway.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Is the Vale of the Reverie located on the Blessed Isle or elsewhere?

Also, I assume Sworn Hearths on the level of young Dynastic adventurers needs very little explanation, but how does it work for Dragons that are more established? Does Tepet Niruz have a Sworn Hearth comprised of subordinates working in the satrapy, or would their Hearthmates have been scattered across Creation thanks to duty calling them elsewhere?

I'm sure there's room for both of these things happening to any group, I'm just curious about how it tends to go with the Dynasty.

EDIT: And a third question: Are you currently imagining Lunars still using quick character stats for their animal forms, or will they be presented in a different format for Lunar usage in particular?
                                Last edited by Leetsepeak; 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Working...
                                X