This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

To elaborate on this, being married to a mortal may be seen as a punishment by the Dragon-Blooded scion and their peers, but it's almost never intended as such; a Dragon-Blooded child is far too valuable an asset to waste on spite. While DBs usually marry other DBs, marrying one to a mortal is not uncommon, whether for political connections, pedigree, or major concessions from the mortal's parents in marriage negotiations.

(In some cases, marriage to a mortal may be a sign that the house has long-term plans for the scion, as a male Dynast normally returns to his mother's household should he outlive his marriage.)
    Ah, I was wondering about what happened to widowers. It came up in the House Tepet thread. We were wondering why Tepet Arada, a man, lives with House Tepet and not some other house. I assume he's a widower (he is normally depicted as quite old) and so returned to House Tepet.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      There's a whole chapter of NPC write-ups. Many of them are notable figures in the Realm, but there are some that are just useful types of characters to drop into your game, like an itinerant Immaculate monk or a magistrate.
      Ah, cool. That does sound quite useful actually. This, I assume, is in the Realm book, rather than the DB book?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Ah, cool. That does sound quite useful actually. This, I assume, is in the Realm book, rather than the DB book?
        It's in What Fire Has Wrought.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Is the Empress known to have wielded Sapphire Circle?
          I suspect she still had the Mantle of Brigid and mastery of its Evocations, but don't want to drill down into the precise mechanics of it quite yet.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are the Saltspire Cities in Third Edition a satrapy of the Realm?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Ah, I was wondering about what happened to widowers. It came up in the House Tepet thread. We were wondering why Tepet Arada, a man, lives with House Tepet and not some other house. I assume he's a widower (he is normally depicted as quite old) and so returned to House Tepet.
              As a further clarification, marriage doesn't make a man legally change Great House affiliation. Ledaal Kes didn't become a Ragara when he married Ragara Szaya. He is, however, expected to be loyal to Ragara Szaya and her household, and through them, to House Ragara. This is how the Empress' husbands were expected to behave, and how house matriarchs' husbands are expected to behave, and this goes a long way toward normalizing putting the wife's house first. But a Dynastic husband is also expected to be a filial son. Hence, divided loyalties.

Some husbands go to great lengths to prove their loyalty to their wife's house or to their mother's house. Some prefer not to make waves, trying to avoid a situation where their loyalties are tested. And historically, many husbands in the Imperial service made a point of placing their devotion to the Empress above their loyalties to either house — an approach that's causing them difficulties now that the Empress has vanished.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by SmilesWithFangs View Post
                On page 215 of the 1ed Lunars book there's a "Blight: Beast Form" that seems to allow the mutant to shift into a beastman. Basically, same question for that.
                Thanks.
                You required a separate, Abomination-level mutation to have a battle form setup in 1e. It was called, appropriately enough, Alternate Form, and gave you a completely unmutated form and a mutated form. Beast Form was just a package deal for being a beastman, which was odd, because all the other time they had mechanical breakdowns for them on the books, the mechanics used a number of specific mutations rather than the package-deal blight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

As a further clarification, marriage doesn't make a man legally change Great House affiliation. Ledaal Kes didn't become a Ragara when he married Ragara Szaya. He is, however, expected to be loyal to Ragara Szaya and her household, and through them, to House Ragara. This is how the Empress' husbands were expected to behave, and how house matriarchs' husbands are expected to behave, and this goes a long way toward normalizing putting the wife's house first. But a Dynastic husband is also expected to be a filial son. Hence, divided loyalties.

Some husbands go to great lengths to prove their loyalty to their wife's house or to their mother's house. Some prefer not to make waves, trying to avoid a situation where their loyalties are tested. And historically, many husbands in the Imperial service made a point of placing their devotion to the Empress above their loyalties to either house — an approach that's causing them difficulties now that the Empress has vanished.
                  This makes me curious, what sort of divided loyalties do female dynasts have? In terms of kin.

From my understanding love is not much of a binding factor to your arranged husband (although I imagine that a sort of comfortable understanding is not the most uncommon thing), you have said before that you are not typically at all attached to your father's house and that you were raised within your own mother's house.

Also, is being an involved and openly affectionate parent frowned on or just eccentric?

As usual, thanks for feeding our endless hunger for Realm trivia!

Comment

• Wasn't there a bat-folk society in previous Editions, with Terrestrial Exalted among their numbers?

Are they getting mentioned in What Fire Has Wrought?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      Wasn't there a bat-folk society in previous Editions, with Terrestrial Exalted among their numbers?

Are they getting mentioned in What Fire Has Wrought?
                      They aren't.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Trying for the long shot, because I *guess* it's NDA'ed. One of my players wanted to create a Immaculate Dragon Style emulator, so I'm trying to cook up a "until the book is out" version of those styles, based on their 2ed iteration, and using the Shikari in the core as a reference point.

So, are there any important changes in thematics and weaponry that I should be mindful of? I keep remembering reading that Wood Dragon is going from bow to staff, but I can't find a reference for the life of me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sagara View Post
                          Trying for the long shot, because I *guess* it's NDA'ed. One of my players wanted to create a Immaculate Dragon Style emulator, so I'm trying to cook up a "until the book is out" version of those styles, based on their 2ed iteration, and using the Shikari in the core as a reference point.

So, are there any important changes in thematics and weaponry that I should be mindful of? I keep remembering reading that Wood Dragon is going from bow to staff, but I can't find a reference for the life of me.
                          Just the staff thing.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are Ledaal Kes and Ragara Szaya still a very happily married couple? I liked them.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Are there any circumstances where a DB might be able to initiate into the Celestial Circle as a whole? If not, could one build more artifacts like the Emerald Thurible that allow the casting of a particular Celestial Spell by a Terrestrial Sorcerer or is that artifact better off as a one off item?
                              Last edited by BrilliantRain; 10-08-2017, 06:19 PM.

Placeholder

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                                Are Ledaal Kes and Ragara Szaya still a very happily married couple? I liked them.
                                They're still around, and they both appear in What Fire Has Wrought.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X