This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Essence isn't a thing you spend XP to raise, so Flowing Mind Prana and its hypothetical upgrades isn't going to help you there.
    Oh I was thinking that Flowing Mind Prana xp was treated by others a real xp and since xp total spent xp determines essence level now. Is that not correct?

Comment

• Something I always wondered, given the 'more mysterious' take with 3E...

Does Lytek (the God of Exaltation) still exist? As soon as I heard about Exigents, I knew that character I would like to be my avatar in games (I normally ST) would be an Exigent of Lytek, whose goal is to ensure that Exaltations aren't... interrupted. (Regardless of any changes in details, if Lytek still exists in this continuity, and if the Jade Prison was still the Sidereal answer to Solar exaltation, then Lytek would not have liked their interference in his purview.) I always envisioned him as having Charms such as, I don't know, instantly detecting whether someone is an Exalt and what type--very useful for gathering up PCs--and being able to mimic the outward signs of any Exalt. I.e., he could pass himself off as a DB in the Realm, a Sidereal in Yu-Shan, etc.

Anyway, just wondering what's up with Lytek...

Comment

• Can I pay for charms xp with solar xp?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
          Oh I was thinking that Flowing Mind Prana xp was treated by others a real xp and since xp total spent xp determines essence level now. Is that not correct?
          Ah, I see. The Charm's text doesn't say it doesn't count (as Exegesis of the Distilled Form does), so while it goes against my gut instinct that goosing the XP limit is silly, I think it does count. That said, it doesn't change the process the recipient goes through to raise their Essence once they hit the required XP total (although that need not necessarily involve a pilgrimage to the Wyld).

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ulthwithian View Post
            Does Lytek (the God of Exaltation) still exist?
            Yep!10char

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              Can I pay for charms xp with solar xp?
              If a Charm has an XP cost to use (or reset), you can pay it with Solar XP. The only thing you can't spend it on is learning Charms.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

The Chosen of Wun Ja, Goddess of the Shining Metropolis. She does not choose them directly, but through city fathers; in this way, each Architect takes on the unique nature of a city, while Wun Ja is able to avoid diminishment enough that she may have multiple Architects.

This is pretty cool, thanks for giving us these details! A couple of follow-up questions this raises for me:

First, does this arrangement also mean that the city father empowering the Exigent is also less diminished than they'd otherwise be? So a less-powerful city father might be able to sponsor an Exigent without completely destroying themselves, compared to another god of similar power but no "backing" from Wun Ja?

Also, do any other powerful Celestial deities with multiple gods in their hierarchy have this sort of arrangement? I assume it's something others could do, but I'm curious if only Wun Ja has taken this approach, or if other gods are actually doing something like this.

Comment

although that need not necessarily involve a pilgrimage to the Wyld.
                  I got ya. Speaking of such things I assume Exigents return to a place of power related to their god. Like the city god exalted meditate around a great landmark of that city or what not. But I can not really think of how Liminals go about raising their essence considering their strange nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
                    First, does this arrangement also mean that the city father empowering the Exigent is also less diminished than they'd otherwise be?
                    Yes, the "cost" is shared between Wun Ja and the city father.

Also, do any other powerful Celestial deities with multiple gods in their hierarchy have this sort of arrangement? I assume it's something others could do, but I'm curious if only Wun Ja has taken this approach, or if other gods are actually doing something like this.
                    It's certainly possible, but I don't think any of the Exigent concepts we have planned involve it. I started from "it'd be cool if the Architects were all one kind of Exigent that varied based on the city they champion, which means they'd need one divine patron" and arrived at Wun Ja's current deal as a solution to that problem.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                      I got ya. Speaking of such things I assume Exigents return to a place of power related to their god. Like the city god exalted meditate around a great landmark of that city or what not. But I can not really think of how Liminals go about raising their essence considering their strange nature.
                      For NPCs in your games, I wouldn't worry about it.
                      Last edited by Robert Vance; 10-27-2017, 02:32 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                        Personally I kinda like the idea that Luna has an insane backup plan in the case of total human genocide.
                        Luna: “Plan 47-G kicks in if all of Creation gets turned into hummus...”

Sol: “Is this markedly different than the plan in case of baba ghanoush?”

Luna: “...ok jumping ahead to Plan 313W”

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Hm... What's the relationship between Wun Ja, Lookshy, and Tien Yu? Does Tien Yu count as a City Father for the purposes of Wun Ja? Does Lookshy not fall under Wun Ja's purview? Could Lookshy even HAVE an Architect, or would Tien Yu firmly disapprove of Wun Ja messing with affairs that are Tien Yu's alone?

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                            Hm... What's the relationship between Wun Ja, Lookshy, and Tien Yu? Does Tien Yu count as a City Father for the purposes of Wun Ja? Does Lookshy not fall under Wun Ja's purview? Could Lookshy even HAVE an Architect, or would Tien Yu firmly disapprove of Wun Ja messing with affairs that are Tien Yu's alone?
                            Tien Yu gets detailed in the section on Lookshy on What Fire Has Wrought; I think it's more interesting to let Storytellers decide the relationship between the two gods to best fit the needs of their games.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Ah, I see. The Charm's text doesn't say it doesn't count (as Exegesis of the Distilled Form does), so while it goes against my gut instinct that goosing the XP limit is silly, I think it does count. That said, it doesn't change the process the recipient goes through to raise their Essence once they hit the required XP total (although that need not necessarily involve a pilgrimage to the Wyld).
                              Considering it's upgrade Tireless Learner Method does explicitly say any "overage" xp doesn't count towards essence, a vastly less likely scenario, I'm inclined to think that such a limitation was either assumed to be obvious or accidentally omitted.

And,er, isn't the XP to Essence progression chart explicitly only for PC Solars?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
                                Considering it's upgrade Tireless Learner Method does explicitly say any "overage" xp doesn't count towards essence, a vastly less likely scenario, I'm inclined to think that such a limitation was either assumed to be obvious or accidentally omitted.
                                You could really read it either way. My preference is not to count it towards Essence, but I don't think I have the stronger textual argument for that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And,er, isn't the XP to Essence progression chart explicitly only for PC Solars?
                                This is true (although smart money is that PC Lunars/Sidereals/Abyssals/Infernals will likely have the same, if not a very similar, chart).

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X