X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to a grapple when the grappler is knocked prone from a smash/sent flying with heaven thunder hammer attack? Is the grappled ended? Or is there nothing extra than the normal reductions in rounds of control?

Comment

• Originally posted by drakor View Post
      I have a question for Vance and Minton regarding how spells and armor stack for soak or hardness.

Situation: I have a character that has the core book Artifact Armor: Freedoms Cadence. (Core pg. 621) This particular armor is additional essence is spent it doesn't count as armor when attuning it. So wearing this armor casting Invulnerable Skin of Bronze (Core pg 474) and Incomparable Body Arsenal (Core Pg. 477) does only the highest soak and hardness apply or would these all stack?

Breakdown:
      Armor Soak 5 Hardness 4
      Invulnerable Skin of Bronze (Control Spell) +6 soak +6 hardness (+essence as control spell added)
      Incomparable Body Arsenal 11 soak hardness 10

Would all of this stack to a total of 22 soak and 20 hardness or would it just be Natural soak + highest total?

Everything I have read seems to indicate they would stack since IBA states it grants the benefits and drawbacks of heavy artifact armor, but doesn't seem to state it counts as being armor. ISB also states you are considered to be wearing medium armor. Freedoms Cadence states it specifically doesn't count as armor if you pay the extra motes in attunement. Thank you for the help I appreciate it !
      So, here's how it breaks down.

Freedom's Cadence=armor. Even with the attunement bonus, it won't stack with other armor—you can't just pull a chain shirt down on top of it.

Invulnerable Skin of Bronze=natural soak. You count as wearing medium armor for the purposes of Martial Arts and other stuff, because your body is now super heavy, but it's still fully compatible with armor.

Incomparable Body Arsenal=armor.

Thus, Incomparable Body Arsenal would not stack with Freedom's Cadence. Otherwise, everything's compatible.
      Last edited by Robert Vance; 11-05-2017, 08:39 AM.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Volivat View Post
        What happens to a grapple when the grappler is knocked prone from a smash/sent flying with heaven thunder hammer attack? Is the grappled ended? Or is there nothing extra than the normal reductions in rounds of control?
        Knocked prone=nothing extra. A prone combatant can grapple an upright one, both in the system and in real life.

Heaven Thunder Hammer: Depends on whether the Storyteller thinks the grappled victim should get sent flying along with the grappler or not. If they do—which is the way I would run it—then the clinch continues. If not, then there's no way for the grappler to maintain the clinch from however far away.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sagara View Post

More of an opinion than a straight up ruling in the same vein, but how would you rule an "you can see me but I'm staying unconspicuous until the deed"-ambush? Still Stealth, because you need to hide something before the deed itself? Socialize or Guile, used in an on-the-spot Read Intentions?
          What about the ambushed party? Awareness? Socialize? Investigation? The assassin would probably ping Watchman's Infallible Eye, right?
          Off the top of my head, if I were going to allow that—which I'm not sure I would—I'd make it an opposed (Manipulation + [lower of Stealth or Socialize]) vs. (Perception + [higher of Awareness or Socialize]) roll. This is biased in favor of the defender, intentionally so.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            So, here's how it breaks down.

Freedom's Cadence=armor. Even with the attunement bonus, it won't stack with other armor—you can't just pull a chain shirt down on top of it.

Invulnerable Skin of Bronze=natural soak. You count as wearing medium armor for the purposes of Martial Arts and other stuff, because your body is now super heavy, but it's still fully compatible with armor.

Incomparable Body Arsenal=armor.

Thus, Incomparable Body Arsenal would not stack with Freedom's Cadence. Otherwise, everything's compatible.
            Let me jump on this question for a moment to make sure of something: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze + Armor is only going to stack Soak and keep the best hardness, NOT stack hardness as well, right?

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

• I'm interested in another aspect of the answer. I'd previously assumed since Invulnerable Skin of Bronze and Incomparable Body Arsenal are both sorcerous transformations of the body, they'd be mutually exclusive. I guess if they can be combined the latter turns one into a big clanking iron automaton and the former layers a coat of superhard flexible bronze over it for extra invincibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post

Let me jump on this question for a moment to make sure of something: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze + Armor is only going to stack Soak and keep the best hardness, NOT stack hardness as well, right?
                Correct. Hardness never stacks unless it specifies otherwise.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by danelsan View Post

Correct. Hardness never stacks unless it specifies otherwise.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                    I'm interested in another aspect of the answer. I'd previously assumed since Invulnerable Skin of Bronze and Incomparable Body Arsenal are both sorcerous transformations of the body, they'd be mutually exclusive. I guess if they can be combined the latter turns one into a big clanking iron automaton and the former layers a coat of superhard flexible bronze over it for extra invincibility?
                    Yes, or however you want to stunt it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• When using the Nerve-Deadening Venom Atemi from Crippling Pressure-Point Strike from Snake Style on say an archer using a bow... do they take a -2 penalty to using the bow, or are just completely unable to make attacks with it?

Comment

• Originally posted by wern212 View Post
                        When using the Nerve-Deadening Venom Atemi from Crippling Pressure-Point Strike from Snake Style on say an archer using a bow... do they take a -2 penalty to using the bow, or are just completely unable to make attacks with it?
                        If your arm is paralyzed by Nerve-Deadening Venom Atemi (or severed, or turned to stone, or...) then you normally can't wield two-handed weapons. If the Storyteller decides to let you make an attack with an appropriate stunt, you'd take the penalty.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I tried to keep this as short and to the point as possible, but I kind of failed. Some questions have popped up after I asked myself the question of “Could the Hulk be modelled in a good way as a Solar?”, and then went ahead trying to stat out something along these lines. The answer is “YES”, by the way.

Obviously, the build would be based on Brawl, Resistance, and Athletics. Can’t have any dependency on equipment. The questions below doesn’t really come up until a significant amount of Experience Points have been sunk into charms in the high essence across multiple abilities, but they’ll be important to how problematic it would be to get this Hulk-based Solar landing in the middle of your city via “Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique”.

Paying for Charms with Anima
                          Activating “Ascendant Battle Visage” costs 3 Levels of Anima, but it’s Reflexive. Does this mean that if the character spends enough Essence during the Join Battle Roll (let’s say maxing out the JB Roll + activating some other Reflexive Charms), then immediately after (but not as part of the JB roll) ABV could be activated?

1b) If he has to wait until something actually happens to be reflexive towards, like getting attacked, would activating it then be quick enough to get the option to use the Clash-features of the charm?

Base Initiative and Orichalcum Fists of Battle
                          The reference in this charm of being “at base Initiative or lower”, how does this work together with charms that adds to your Base Initiative upon reset?

OFoB itself words it’s change as “base Initiative is increased by one”, which I assume to be a valid wording for enjoying the benefits of being “at base Initiative or lower” since it’s the charm itself. However, there are other wordings for other abilities, such as:

Dawn Anima: “add half her Essence score (round up) to her base Initiative upon re- setting to base after a successful decisive attack.” Does this modification qualify the Dawn to be “at base Initiative or lower”? Let’s say it’s a Essence 5, with OFoB active. Base Initiative would then be 7 (3 + 1 + 3) when the Anima is at Bonfire.

Other cases, like “Striving Aftershock Method” says that “the Solar may use this Charm, adding +2 to her base Initiative value.” Does this addition of Initiative qualify for getting the “at base Initiative or lower” effects of OFoB? In which case, the Base Initiative could with the same example as above be at 9.

Dice Caps for Damage
                          With the above questions in mind, how should the combination of the added damage you get through the various “increased base initiative”, [Essence] from OFoB (when at “base initiative”), and the additional dice for each dot of Strength bought via Increasing Strength Exercise? Is there a limit on how much can be added to your Base Decisive Damage?

OFoB and ISE and Hammer on Iron Technique
                          When using HoIT, you take your initiative and divide it evenly between the number of attacks to fuel the damage of the attack. However, OFoB says “her decisive damage gains (Essence) bonus dice” and ISE says “each dot of increase also raises the base damage of her decisive attacks by one.”

Should both of these just add to the Initiative, and then the total be split evenly among the number of attacks you do? By wording along I would say that OFoB at least would add it’s bonus to each of the attacks after the initiative has been distributed evenly, and ISE could be read the same way. How should this work?

I kind of think that if combining OFoB, ISE, and Dawn Anima with a HoIT enhanced by Fivefold Fury Onslaught gives you 6 attacks each with 12 Decisive Damage, with Double 10s, reroll 1s and 10s, and ignoring Hardness… it might be a bit crazy? But again, you’ve basically committed your whole pool of essence to charms, are Essence 5, and have a significant amount of charms bought to achieve this..
                          Last edited by Rouharu; 11-05-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Activating “Ascendant Battle Visage” costs 3 Levels of Anima, but it’s Reflexive. Does this mean that if the character spends enough Essence during the Join Battle Roll (let’s say maxing out the JB Roll + activating some other Reflexive Charms), then immediately after (but not as part of the JB roll) ABV could be activated?
                            Correct.

1b) If he has to wait until something actually happens to be reflexive towards, like getting attacked, would activating it then be quick enough to get the option to use the Clash-features of the charm?
                            Reflexive Charms don't require you to take a reflexive action to use them unless they specifically enhance that kind of reflexive action.

The reference in this charm of being “at base Initiative or lower”, how does this work together with charms that adds to your Base Initiative upon reset?
                            If they're Instant-duration boosts like Striving Aftershock Method, they only raise your base Initiative in that instant. If they're longer than instant, like Orichalcum Fists of Battle, your base Initiative is raised for the duration of the Charm.

Dawn Anima: “add half her Essence score (round up) to her base Initiative upon re- setting to base after a successful decisive attack.” Does this modification qualify the Dawn to be “at base Initiative or lower”? Let’s say it’s a Essence 5, with OFoB active. Base Initiative would then be 7 (3 + 1 + 3) when the Anima is at Bonfire.
                            Yes, the Dawn Anima raises your base Initiative for as long as your anima is at bonfire.

Is there a limit on how much can be added to your Base Decisive Damage?
                            There's no cap.

When using HoIT, you take your initiative and divide it evenly between the number of attacks to fuel the damage of the attack. However, OFoB says “her decisive damage gains (Essence) bonus dice” and ISE says “each dot of increase also raises the base damage of her decisive attacks by one.”

Should both of these just add to the Initiative, and then the total be split evenly among the number of attacks you do? By wording along I would say that OFoB at least would add it’s bonus to each of the attacks after the initiative has been distributed evenly, and ISE could be read the same way. How should this work?
                            Your reading is correct—Hammer on Iron and similar Charms specifically refer to dividing up Initiative, not damage.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

Your reading is correct—Hammer on Iron and similar Charms specifically refer to dividing up Initiative, not damage.
                              HULK SMASH!!!

Thank you so much for quick replies and wonderful engagement with us, Vance!! You and the team rock!

Comment

• Looking back at Games of Divinity, I can't seem to find a reference to Malfeas ever having been king of the Yozis/Primoridals in that original write-up.

​If it matters, is that a detail that is likely to be retained?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X