This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
    while a considerable amount has changed since then, are the failed attempts by Ouramos and Isidoros to make their own exalts still sticking around?
    Not exactly.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      Not exactly.
      sorry, er, I meant more "is Oramos and Isidoros attempting still a thing". Not are the results still around. I realized this might not have been clear.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
        sorry, er, I meant more "is Oramos and Isidoros attempting still a thing". Not are the results still around. I realized this might not have been clear.
        Nah, I got you. It's a somewhat complicated answer - not entirely a "yes" or a "no." The broad narrative of the enemies of the gods creating Exalted, and being so disquieted by the results as to never attempt it again, remains in place. The specific details presented in the Infernals Preview don't.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Robert Vance, how will Warstriders interact with Sorcery? Will I be able to give my Warstrider Wood Dragon Claws or an Incomparable Body Arsenal when I'm riding in it? Will I be able to use Stormwind Rider or Cirrus Skiff, and have the Warstrider fly through the air like this?

Comment

• I know Exalted generally assumes system transparancy as far as dice pools and declaring your stuff upfront for the most part, but how do you guys personally reconcile this when you want a power to be kind of an unknown? For example, assume that Volcano Cutter hadn't been printed in the corebook, and you sprang the whole eruption point business on your players in game? Would you just hand them the charm text? Make them roll for it? Give them some vague, handwavey 'stepping on that seems like it'd be dangerous'?

Comment

• Agh, it didn't get posted!

Are there lesser deities with purviews related to the Sun and Moon, kinda like the Golden Lord has been implied to be?

How common is worship of the Unconquered Sun, is that a thing people do at all? How about worship of the Sun without necessarily implicating him?

Do people worship Luna at all? Are there any Lunar deities in Creation, or is it more that they're deities of other things with association to the moon?

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                Nah, I got you. It's a somewhat complicated answer - not entirely a "yes" or a "no." The broad narrative of the enemies of the gods creating Exalted, and being so disquieted by the results as to never attempt it again, remains in place. The specific details presented in the Infernals Preview don't.
                Speaking of Izzy, now that the infernals are going Ability based charms, will we be seeing some non reclamation yozi emulating charms in the ability trees? For instance immense strength from Isidoros or maybe some linguistics from Elloge?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                  Are there lesser deities with purviews related to the Sun and Moon, kinda like the Golden Lord has been implied to be?
                  Yes; a few get name-dropped in The Realm.

Originally posted by Leetsepeak View Post
                  How common is worship of the Unconquered Sun, is that a thing people do at all?
                  Such worship is rare; being unresponsive to prayer is a handicap in this regard.

How about worship of the Sun without necessarily implicating him?
                  Worship of the sun in an animistic sense is pretty much just another form of worshiping the Unconquered Sun. Worship of another solar deity as the sun would be more common; the god is already breaking the rules by soliciting and accepting mortal worship, so claiming greater powers than she properly possesses is no great stretch.

Do people worship Luna at all?
                  Rare, as noted above.

Are there any Lunar deities in Creation, or is it more that they're deities of other things with association to the moon?
                  I'm not clear on the distinction here? A god in Luna's court isn't going to be a literal second goddess of the moon, any more than a god in Flashing Peak's court is going to be a literal second goddess of the Imperial Mountain. Associated deities are deities of associated things.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                    I'm not clear on the distinction here? A god in Luna's court isn't going to be a literal second goddess of the moon, any more than a god in Flashing Peak's court is going to be a literal second goddess of the Imperial Mountain. Associated deities are deities of associated things.
                    Thanks for the answer! Apologies, I guess what I was referring to was the idea of a deity who is associated with the moon by narrative or social affiliation but not by actual purview or position in the celestial bureaucracy.

Like... if I'm the God of War in the North, and strictly speaking "Crows" are not actually in my purview, but I am symbolically associated with them maybe because I used to hang out with the Crow Avatar a lot centuries ago or something like that.

So in this case, a god of say... mercantile trade. Who maybe appears at night often, or maybe appeared with Luna once somewhere, or maybe just has a lot of moon-themed jewelry for personal aesthetic reasons.

Is that kind of thing common, or is it more that said god might be a god with dual purviews of trade and the moon, or a god with a purview of trade-under-moonlight?

It's not really an important thing, but I hope that clarifies what I meant.

Incidentally, how does that sort of thing work? Ahlat is god of war and cattle because his position initially involved warring-for-cattle, right?

Do other deities gain this sort of power through the particulars of their purview or previously held positions?

Or do they get them from worship empowerment and association with things by worshippers?

Or can all of these things happen? Or is it something else.

Apologies, I realize these are kind of convoluted.
                    Last edited by Leetsepeak; 11-09-2017, 09:00 PM.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

Thanks for the answer! Apologies, I guess what I was referring to was the idea of a deity who is associated with the moon by narrative or social affiliation but not by actual purview or position in the celestial bureaucracy.

Like... if I'm the God of War in the North, and strictly speaking "Crows" are not actually in my purview, but I am symbolically associated with them maybe because I used to hang out with the Crow Avatar a lot centuries ago or something like that.

So in this case, a god of say... mercantile trade. Who maybe appears at night often, or maybe appeared with Luna once somewhere, or maybe just has a lot of moon-themed jewelry for personal aesthetic reasons.

Is that kind of thing common, or is it more that said god might be a god with dual purviews of trade and the moon, or a god with a purview of trade-under-moonlight?
                      If you're talking about its purview within the Celestial Bureaucracy, then clearly the answer is no. If you're talking about how the god is viewed by mortal worshipers, then clearly the answer is yes. Is there another angle to the question that I'm missing?

Incidentally, how does that sort of thing work? Ahlat is god of war and cattle because his position initially involved warring-for-cattle, right?

Do other deities gain this sort of power through the particulars of their purview or previously held positions?

Or do they get them from worship empowerment and association with things by worshippers?

Or can all of these things happen? Or is it something else.

Apologies, I realize these are kind of convoluted.
                      We're aiming to put a book on spirit courts and cults relatively early in the schedule specifically because I don't feel these are questions that have been satisfactorily addressed in earlier editions. As such, I don't want to address the question until the book's rolled around into development and the team has had an opportunity to hammer out the specifics. I wouldn't want to mislead with off-the-cuff answers that might be contradicted in print later. I hope you understand!

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by serGregness View Post
                        I know Exalted generally assumes system transparancy as far as dice pools and declaring your stuff upfront for the most part, but how do you guys personally reconcile this when you want a power to be kind of an unknown? For example, assume that Volcano Cutter hadn't been printed in the corebook, and you sprang the whole eruption point business on your players in game? Would you just hand them the charm text? Make them roll for it? Give them some vague, handwavey 'stepping on that seems like it'd be dangerous'?
                        My personal approach as a Storyteller is to give the players enough of a heads-up for them to make an informed decision without any real "gotcha" potential, although I don't spell it out in formal mechanical text.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Nilihum View Post
                          Robert Vance, how will Warstriders interact with Sorcery? Will I be able to give my Warstrider Wood Dragon Claws or an Incomparable Body Arsenal when I'm riding in it? Will I be able to use Stormwind Rider or Cirrus Skiff, and have the Warstrider fly through the air like this?
                          Varies on a spell-by-spell basis. Invulnerable Skin of Bronze only transforms your skin, so it's no good for your warstrider, but you can totally cast a Death of Obsidian Butterflies while stridering.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post

Speaking of Izzy, now that the infernals are going Ability based charms, will we be seeing some non reclamation yozi emulating charms in the ability trees? For instance immense strength from Isidoros or maybe some linguistics from Elloge?
                            That's probably the most exciting part of Ability-based Infernal Charms.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                              We're aiming to put a book on spirit courts and cults relatively early in the schedule specifically because I don't feel these are questions that have been satisfactorily addressed in earlier editions. As such, I don't want to address the question until the book's rolled around into development and the team has had an opportunity to hammer out the specifics. I wouldn't want to mislead with off-the-cuff answers that might be contradicted in print later. I hope you understand!
                              Very exciting, that book sounds like a perfectly place to address this sort of thing. Hope ancestor cults also find some wordcount in there.

Knowing about spirit courts would be super useful. I understand if answering this question also isn't worthwhile right now, but do you guys imagine spirit courts to be huge and directional like the Court of Orderly Flame in previous editions, or are they generally more local in scope?

Comment

Very exciting, that book sounds like a perfectly place to address this sort of thing. Hope ancestor cults also find some wordcount in there.
                                Seems likely!

Knowing about spirit courts would be super useful. I understand if answering this question also isn't worthwhile right now, but do you guys imagine spirit courts to be huge and directional like the Court of Orderly Flame in previous editions, or are they generally more local in scope?
                                Both, though more the latter than the former, as with most things.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X