This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it called the Bay of Kings?

Looking at the map, the walls of Medo are protection against Marama's Fell?

Is Ixcoatli an expansionist power at the "moment"?

Comment

• Question concerning Arete and its 'Mudra of Perfected Skill' Evocation: The Dissonant rules state the Evocation enhances one Ability at first purchase, with additional Abilities costing 2xp each. The Resonant rules, however, say that first purchase allows enhancement of Caste/Favored Abilities, but says nothing on how to expand beyond that. In addition, no real information is given for how to handle characters who are neither Dissonant nor Resonant, but rather are Orichalcum-neutral. Can you please clarify?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Quick character traits can't be reverse engineered, because that's not how they were designed. What's more likely is that I eventually revise those Charms to fit the QC system.

For now, here's my advice: when you raise one of a familiar's Attributes or Abilities, all of its dice pools that use that trait go up by one, up to the usual QC maximum of 14 dice. As usual, for dice pools not specifically listed, assume they start at 3.

Oh thank you very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
          Question concerning Arete and its 'Mudra of Perfected Skill' Evocation: The Dissonant rules state the Evocation enhances one Ability at first purchase, with additional Abilities costing 2xp each. The Resonant rules, however, say that first purchase allows enhancement of Caste/Favored Abilities, but says nothing on how to expand beyond that. In addition, no real information is given for how to handle characters who are neither Dissonant nor Resonant, but rather are Orichalcum-neutral. Can you please clarify?
          The special activation rules cover characters who aren't dissonant with orichalcum, whether or not they're resonant. The reference to a resonant character purchasing the Evocation is an editing artifact from before the special activation rules were added; it should instead refer to when the resonant character awakens the Evocation via the special activation rules. A resonant character enhancing all of her Caste and Favored Abilities is over and above the ability unlocks in the special activation rules.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anaximander View Post
            Why is it called the Bay of Kings?

Looking at the map, the walls of Medo are protection against Marama's Fell?

Is Ixcoatli an expansionist power at the "moment"?
            We're still working details for these locales, and we don't want to tie our writers' hands by posting incomplete ideas on the forums. Sorry!

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• This is unfortunately another 2nd vs 3rd edition rule query. Previous versions a solar could channel a single mote of essence to cause their anima to glow bright for a scene, allowing them to be walking torches (producing enough light to read by). Can they still do this it is not listed as one of their abilities any longer?

If the answer is no (and I am assuming it is at this point) would it be considered "Okay" for a player to "Burn" say 15-20 motes to put them selves at the Iconic/Bonfire level with out actually using those motes to do something like use a charm?

Comment

• Hey some more questions. Thanks

1) Can you use the evocation "Radiant Brushstrokes Flourish" outside of combat to write on someone who was willing or captured?

2) Can you use Peony Blossom Technique which has an anima cost, or similar combat charms, outside of combat to reduce your anima?

Comment

• A question on countering sorcery:

The situation is that you make a shape sorcery roll to cast a spell which costs 10 motes and get 5 successes. You have 20 banked sorcery motes from rituals. Someone tries to counter it and gets a 10 mote reduction.

1) Do you get to cast your spell by using your banked successes, or does the spell fail as your roll vs the counter failed to net any successes?

2) If you do get to cast your spell, does it cost 15 motes? Your roll minus the counter magic leaves you on -5 requiring 15 banked motes to reach the 10 needed. Or does the counter magic simply reduce your successes on the roll to 0 and therefore you only need to spend 10 motes?

Cheers.

Comment

• For the larceny charm "Fate-Shifting Solar Arete", when it counts another number as a 10, does that just mean it goes from being a fail to a double success, or does it count as a 10 in all ways? For example, the charm "Perfect Shadow Stillness" says you can reroll any Stealth based action but preserve the 10s. Would this also preserve the numbers that are being treated as 10s?

Comment

• What happens if someone grapple attacks you and you counter attack with a crane style throw?

1) Does this automatically stop the grapple if you succeed at the throw? Or can you not throw someone who is grappling you?

2) If it does end the grapple, do they still get to do a savaging attack on you and expend all their control rounds on it since they know they are about to lose their control rounds when the grapple ends?

Or, best yet, do you throw them but they take you with them still held in a grapple in a weird physics defying event? ;-) lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcainOne View Post
                        This is unfortunately another 2nd vs 3rd edition rule query. Previous versions a solar could channel a single mote of essence to cause their anima to glow bright for a scene, allowing them to be walking torches (producing enough light to read by). Can they still do this it is not listed as one of their abilities any longer?

If the answer is no (and I am assuming it is at this point) would it be considered "Okay" for a player to "Burn" say 15-20 motes to put them selves at the Iconic/Bonfire level with out actually using those motes to do something like use a charm?
                        Related: Is this function simply covered by the power to make one's caste mark glow? How bright is that?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcainOne View Post
                          This is unfortunately another 2nd vs 3rd edition rule query. Previous versions a solar could channel a single mote of essence to cause their anima to glow bright for a scene, allowing them to be walking torches (producing enough light to read by). Can they still do this it is not listed as one of their abilities any longer?

You can illumine your Caste Mark indefinitely for one mote, which should cover your walking torch needs.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I've got a bunch of questions about various different Charms. Apologies if any of these have already been answered previously.

1) Single Point Shining into the Void Form can be reflexively activated if the martial artist "achieves the highest Join Battle value at the start of a fight". Several other Charms have effects when the Exalt "wins Join Battle", which I understand has been clarified to mean when the Exalt rolls higher on Join Battle than her opponents, and not necessarily her allies. Does SPSitV's reflexive activation clause require you to roll higher on JB than your allies as well? Or does it simply require that you beat all your opponents on the JB roll?

2) Mood-Inducing Music adds or subtracts dice equal to the Solar's Essence to rolls made by other characters in the scene. Is this considered a non-Charm environmental bonus/penalty? Or do bonus dice conferred by this Charm count towards the cap on dice added by Charms?

3) Soul-Nourishing Technique includes the text "The Solar’s words are bread and water to those who listen" as well as "The Solar’s words feed the audience like a nutritious meal and hydrate them like water from a fresh spring". Is this flavor text to inspire Sermon on the Mount imagery, or does this Charm actually count as temporal nourishment? Additionally, this is a simple Charm that "grants listeners automatic knowledge of the Principle being discussed without needing to make a read intentions action". Since it's based in Integrity, I'm struggling to understand the application of this Charm. Integrity isn't typically used for social influence, so you don't appear to be able to use your sermon to create an intimacy towards the same Principle in others. Also, are you not able to set your Guile to 0 against a Read Intentions roll when desired? If your goal is to impart that Principle upon others, it seems like it would be more effective to deliver this sermon via Performance, then intentionally not apply your Guile against anyone trying to Read Intentions to confirm what you're trying to convey.

4) Reed in the Wind "raises the cap on how much the Solar can enhance her Evasion by her Essence". Can this be combined with other Evasion-enhancing Charms which put me at the cap? For example, assume I am Dexterity 5, Dodge 5, Essence 3. My base Evasion is 5, and I can use Excellent Solar Dodge to increase my Evasion to 10. Can I now spend 6 Initiative on Reed in the Wind to increase my Evasion to 13?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Phoenix View Post
                              1) Single Point Shining into the Void Form can be reflexively activated if the martial artist "achieves the highest Join Battle value at the start of a fight". Several other Charms have effects when the Exalt "wins Join Battle", which I understand has been clarified to mean when the Exalt rolls higher on Join Battle than her opponents, and not necessarily her allies. Does SPSitV's reflexive activation clause require you to roll higher on JB than your allies as well? Or does it simply require that you beat all your opponents on the JB roll?
                              It follows the standard rules for winning Join Battle, i.e. you only have to beat your enemies' rolls.

2) Mood-Inducing Music adds or subtracts dice equal to the Solar's Essence to rolls made by other characters in the scene. Is this considered a non-Charm environmental bonus/penalty? Or do bonus dice conferred by this Charm count towards the cap on dice added by Charms?
                              It counts as dice from Charms.

3) Soul-Nourishing Technique includes the text "The Solar’s words are bread and water to those who listen" as well as "The Solar’s words feed the audience like a nutritious meal and hydrate them like water from a fresh spring". Is this flavor text to inspire Sermon on the Mount imagery, or does this Charm actually count as temporal nourishment?
                              It literally nourishes them as though they had food and water.

Additionally, this is a simple Charm that "grants listeners automatic knowledge of the Principle being discussed without needing to make a read intentions action". Since it's based in Integrity, I'm struggling to understand the application of this Charm. Integrity isn't typically used for social influence, so you don't appear to be able to use your sermon to create an intimacy towards the same Principle in others.
                              It's not an influence roll. Rather, your sincerity and conviction in delivering the sermon reveals the truth of your commitment to that Principle.

Also, are you not able to set your Guile to 0 against a Read Intentions roll when desired?
                              You can, but you can't force people to read your intentions (unless you have Face-Charming Prana).

4) Reed in the Wind "raises the cap on how much the Solar can enhance her Evasion by her Essence". Can this be combined with other Evasion-enhancing Charms which put me at the cap? For example, assume I am Dexterity 5, Dodge 5, Essence 3. My base Evasion is 5, and I can use Excellent Solar Dodge to increase my Evasion to 10. Can I now spend 6 Initiative on Reed in the Wind to increase my Evasion to 13?
                              Yes, it raises the dice limit for all Evasion-boosting effects you're using.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by michael allen View Post
                                What happens if someone grapple attacks you and you counter attack with a crane style throw?

1) Does this automatically stop the grapple if you succeed at the throw? Or can you not throw someone who is grappling you?

2) If it does end the grapple, do they still get to do a savaging attack on you and expend all their control rounds on it since they know they are about to lose their control rounds when the grapple ends?

Or, best yet, do you throw them but they take you with them still held in a grapple in a weird physics defying event? ;-) lol
                                Assuming you're referring to the Feather-Strewn Path effect of Mournful Crane's Cry, I think the best way to handle it is, in fact, having them maintain the grapple and pull you with them as your blow flings them about. It may defy physics, but I'd absolutely buy that as something that could happen in Lucha Underground.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X