This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    We included a sidebar on this along with Golden Janissary style in What Fire Has Wrought, which I'll show here.

Creatures of Darkness
    Creatures of darkness are foes of Creation who stalk through the night or dwell in the dark places of the world. This includes demons and undead by default, but the Storyteller is free to include or exclude beings from this category at her discretion. A benign ancestor ghost might not be a creature of darkness, while a subterranean monstrosity empowered by forbidden gods could be.

So would that mean that Abyssals, Infernals and Liminals count as Creatures of Darkness?

Comment

It's not an incredibly concrete division. There's some considerable overlap in what they can accomplish, with the difference being more one of aesthetic and form than function. Going to your example, I don't think a vast god-engine of green jade and moonsilver that sustains surrounding farmlands much like a Benediction of Archgenesis is necessarily something that should be flatly disallowed from the setting (although it's certainly the kind of miraculous infrastructure that constitutes First Age artifice).
      So as a follow up, can the reverse also be true?

Comment

• Originally posted by Therian View Post

So would that mean that Abyssals, Infernals and Liminals count as Creatures of Darkness?
        Yes, unless the Storyteller decides an individual merits an exemption. I imagine that'd be a lot more common for Liminals than the other two.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Saipjas View Post

So as a follow up, can the reverse also be true?
          The less-than-helpful answer is: it depends. Some things that artifacts do, sorcery can also do. Other things it can't; I've frequently voiced my feelings that spells shouldn't be able to create warstriders.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Korusef View Post
            Doesn't Heaven have records?
            To the devs: Are there lots of gods in Heaven and the Bureau of Fate who refuse to share their records with the Sidereals?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

To the devs: Are there lots of gods in Heaven and the Bureau of Fate who refuse to share their records with the Sidereals?
              Even if they don't -- and e.g. the change to Starmetal's origin does indicate an alteration to 2e's hyperacrimonious relationship between Sidereals and the rest of Heaven -- there are plenty of departments, divisions, and cliques in Heaven who marry a stupendous mass of records; an idiosyncratic filing system; and a small number of spirits in secretarial, administrative, or archival roles who are difficult to deal with not because they hate Sidereals but because they are bureaucrats.

Comment

Sidereals, broadly speaking, are agents of Heaven who are generally respected by the gods. That doesn't mean that the Sidereals can Hermes Conrad their way through gods-know-how-many millennia worth of records as a routine business matter.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Hermes Conrad
                  ...okay, so Hermes as a Sid, Spoken-Zoidberg, Alchemical bender, infernal professor...
                  Does Heaven have an ambassador to Stygia?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Sorry for the constant flow of questions on artifice versus sorcery/sorcerous workings. Since you feel that warstriders shouldn’t be created via artifice what areas do you feel should be the sole provence of sorcery/sorcerous workings?

Comment

• Does attacking from concealment completely break stealth, or merely provide a reflexive Awareness check for enemies where the assassin suffers a -3 penalty for remaining hidden, similar to attempting a Move or Disengage action in concealment?

The basic rules don’t say, and Observer-Deceiving Attack doesn’t clarify the matter enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saipjas View Post
                        Sorry for the constant flow of questions on artifice versus sorcery/sorcerous workings. Since you feel that warstriders shouldn’t be created via artifice what areas do you feel should be the sole provence of sorcery/sorcerous workings?
                        Creating biological life or spirits is the main one that strikes me off the top of my head. A lot of the large-scale stuff that sorcery can do with blessings, transformations, etc. would probably require First Age artifice to create an equivalent artifact, which de facto means they require sorcery.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Does attacking from concealment completely break stealth, or merely provide a reflexive Awareness check for enemies where the assassin suffers a -3 penalty for remaining hidden, similar to attempting a Move or Disengage action in concealment?

The basic rules don’t say, and Observer-Deceiving Attack doesn’t clarify the matter enough.
                          It breaks concealment.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                            Does Heaven have an ambassador to Stygia?
                            Haven't gotten to planning out those details, but it sounds like an interesting concept to me.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

It breaks concealment.
                              What good does ODA’s basic effect do? Your concealment is broken, but your opponent is looking in the wrong direction, so do they see you or not?

Comment

• Wouldn't records concerning the Primordial War be a bit moot anyway, from distortion of fact and memory by She Who Lives in Her Name pouring fire over the world?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X