This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    If someone is affected by Soul-Void Kata during combat, and then attacked while they're in the resulting trance, would it count as a Surprise attack? An Ambush? Neither?
    I'd call it a surprise attack, because I think letting it set up ambushes is too nasty.

Could you use Soul-Void Kata in response to the reflexive Read Intentions rolls made in response to Black Claw's Open Palm Caress?
    Absolutely, but you'd have to pay its cost separately for each character reading your intentions.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Is the Blood-Drinking Jewel compatible with Volcano Cutter's Grand Eruption?

My Exalted Character Creation Tool may be downloaded here. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.
      I have a rewrite of the craft system which can be downloaded here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

• Originally posted by Demac View Post
        Is the Blood-Drinking Jewel compatible with Volcano Cutter's Grand Eruption?
        Grand Eruption is pretty clear that it can only be triggered by the special pool of motes stored in Volcano Cutter.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Say a Righteous Devil stylist used Cloud of Ebon Devils to take an aim action alongside their join battle, then rolled a decisive attack with that turn one. Would that attack (assuming that it hit) allow a reflexive activation of Righteous Devil form? Technically the form's condition specifies an aim action taken the turn before, so how it affects JB rolls is a little muddied

Comment

• Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post
            Say a Righteous Devil stylist used Cloud of Ebon Devils to take an aim action alongside their join battle, then rolled a decisive attack with that turn one. Would that attack (assuming that it hit) allow a reflexive activation of Righteous Devil form? Technically the form's condition specifies an aim action taken the turn before, so how it affects JB rolls is a little muddied
            Yes. For almost all purposes, a reflexive aim is equivalent to a turn spent aiming.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Karvara's Voice of the Apocalypse says that the attack roll is made with (Charisma+Presence+Limit), but also notes that "In Limit Break, she adds ten non-Charm successes on the attack roll". Is this meant to replace the limit portion of the parenthesized formula, or is it in addition? So, if you're limit breaking, do you end up with (Charisma + Presence) + 10 autosuccesses, or (Charisma + Presence + 10) + 10 autosuccesses? The second option is nuts, yes, but it's an N/A artifact so I'm not actually sure the sane reading is the right one. :V

Edit: I want to clarify that the source of the confusion is mostly that Voice of the Apocalypse uses different formatting for its formula than Karvara's other evocations. Its other powers have the bonus dice from limit separated out, and so when the 'these dice become 10 automatic successes in limit break' feature is written differently at the end, it makes me wonder if it's supposed to work differently as well, or just be the same thing I've seen elsewhere in Karvara's write up.
              Last edited by serGregness; 12-07-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Are lunars going to be able to take some of the memories of the people they copy?
                We always kind of handwave the fact that the lunar impostor isnt able to recognize its own mother.

Comment

• So now that you have finished the writing for it, while I'm not asking for a preview, can you spill a bit about the Dragon Styles? How scary is it to come across an immaculate practitioner who has mastered one? How scary is a practitioner who hasn't gotten out of the terrestrial keyword yet?

Are there any charms in the styles you guys really like? (name is enough if you can, if not which style got an update you really like is cool too.)

Loving everything I've seen so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

• Originally posted by serGregness View Post
                    Karvara's Voice of the Apocalypse says that the attack roll is made with (Charisma+Presence+Limit), but also notes that "In Limit Break, she adds ten non-Charm successes on the attack roll". Is this meant to replace the limit portion of the parenthesized formula, or is it in addition? So, if you're limit breaking, do you end up with (Charisma + Presence) + 10 autosuccesses, or (Charisma + Presence + 10) + 10 autosuccesses? The second option is nuts, yes, but it's an N/A artifact so I'm not actually sure the sane reading is the right one. :V
                    The former.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post
                      Are lunars going to be able to take some of the memories of the people they copy?
                      Among other things.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        Among other things.
                        On that note, will there be benefits to actually eating people that other methods of obtaining Heart's Blood won't be able to replicate?

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                        Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post

On that note, will there be benefits to actually eating people that other methods of obtaining Heart's Blood won't be able to replicate?
                          I'm still up in the air on that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
                            So now that you have finished the writing for it, while I'm not asking for a preview, can you spill a bit about the Dragon Styles? How scary is it to come across an immaculate practitioner who has mastered one? How scary is a practitioner who hasn't gotten out of the terrestrial keyword yet?

Are there any charms in the styles you guys really like? (name is enough if you can, if not which style got an update you really like is cool too.)

Loving everything I've seen so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
                            Immaculate Dragon styles are structured a little differently than others. They run from Essence 1-5, which means that a Dragon-Blood who's fully mastered one is real damn scary.

As for my favorite Charm, it's gotta be Soul Mastery.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              The former.

Thanks for clearing that up! I should probably have put this in a separate post rather than hoping my edit would make it in time, but Karvara has that 'add limit noncharm dice, which turns in to 10 autosuccesses' thing in a few different places in its writeup, but Voice of the Apocalypse uses a different templating than every other instance, I think. Is that intentional, or does it merit a mention in the Arms errata thread?

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              Immaculate Dragon styles are structured a little differently than others. They run from Essence 1-5, which means that a Dragon-Blood who's fully mastered one is real damn scary.

As for my favorite Charm, it's gotta be Soul Mastery.
                              Ooh, I'm kind of psyched for Essence 5 Martial Arts charms! With that in mind, from a fluff perspective at what point is one considered to be a 'master' of a style? I'm given to understand that in previous editions it was usually 'has all the charms', but with it capping out at E5 (and the other changes to the way MA are regarded in the setting in general) that doesn't really seem reasonable.

Also, I remember you saying at some point that the Immaculate Order generally teaches Golden Jannisary to its mortal members, but are mortals forbidden or discouraged from learning the dragon styles, or is it more that the order generally doesn't see the point of it since the refining essence benefit is lost on them?

Comment

• Originally posted by serGregness View Post
                                Ooh, I'm kind of psyched for Essence 5 Martial Arts charms! With that in mind, from a fluff perspective at what point is one considered to be a 'master' of a style? I'm given to understand that in previous editions it was usually 'has all the charms', but with it capping out at E5 (and the other changes to the way MA are regarded in the setting in general) that doesn't really seem reasonable.
                                Once you've reached the form is when you start subjectively feeling like you've mastered a style, I think.

Also, I remember you saying at some point that the Immaculate Order generally teaches Golden Jannisary to its mortal members, but are mortals forbidden or discouraged from learning the dragon styles, or is it more that the order generally doesn't see the point of it since the refining essence benefit is lost on them?
                                They can learn them. "Ex-monk who Exalted" is a perfectly fine backstory for people who want to play a Solar with an Immaculate style.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X