This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Just remembered something that's driven me crazy since the backer PDF: how the heck is nonmagical lie detection supposed to work? Guile is sorta-maybe-almost implied to be how you defend against it but "Is this person telling the truth" isn't included as something you can (directly) do by Reading Intentions.
    There's not a generic "detect lies" roll. Read intentions can certainly turn up a result of "he's trying to lie to you." You can also use the profile character action to do the whole Sherlock Holmes thing.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Should Alchemicals receive magic material bonuses with unarmed attacks, considering that they're partly made of them?

The Teller of Tales, and the Weaver of Dreams

Behold! My 2e characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Voyd211 View Post
        Should Alchemicals receive magic material bonuses with unarmed attacks, considering that they're partly made of them?
        In Second Edition: No.

In Third Edition: Still no.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• So at the end of Arms of the Chosen, I assume the reason the Forgotten Warstrider artifact's magical material is listed as (???) is a combination of tongue-in-cheek and to permit a Storyteller to align it to the best-fit PC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercury View Post
            So at the end of Arms of the Chosen, I assume the reason the Forgotten Warstrider artifact's magical material is listed as (???) is a combination of tongue-in-cheek and to permit a Storyteller to align it to the best-fit PC?
            I assume you're referring to the Forgotten Blade, as we forgot to put the Forgotten Warstrider in.

Its material is listed as ??? because its magical material is, of course, unknown. None of its Evocations are Resonant or Dissonant on account of that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Could you tell us something about gender norms in the Realm? "Properly masculine" and "properly feminine" ways of behavior, personality traits that are idealized, that sort of thing? Also, how much do these norms apply to flings one might have in far-flung provinces, such as An-Teng?

Specifically, I'm thinking about things such as the Roseblack's writeup in 1E implying that she fell for a pirate captain in the West - while I'm aware that it would be really stupid to conclude, based on that writeup, that there's a one-size-fits-all secret way to the heart of all Dynasts everywhere, I'm really struggling to conceptualize how those things happen and are viewed in polite society, I imagine Dynastic education - both in and out of classroom - puts a lot of emphasis on the inherent superiority of Realm culture and endows the scions of the noble houses with a massive cultural cache that very few outside the Realm could rival. So, what I'm trying to say is that I imagine it would be very difficult for a Dynast to relate to the life experiences of average people - or even highly sophisticated local elites! - in far-flung satrapies (and vice versa), and that distance would put a strain on the prospect of a serious relationship even beyond basic practical considerations like "this would be a scandal" and "my family would kill me". Yet I have no doubt that there are still Dynasts who fall for randos in the arse end of nowhere - so the question is, what do they see in them? What would make a non-Dynast "worthy" in the eyes of the typical Dynast? ("Varies by person", of course, is the obviously correct answer, but I'm angling for an answer in the context of the first few questions - idealized forms of gender expression that transcend cultural barriers to romantic interest, basically.)
              Last edited by aluminiumtrioxid; 12-22-2017, 08:07 PM.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
              Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• How does one build an advanced character? Do you just build a base character and then just add X amount of experience points?

The Teller of Tales, and the Weaver of Dreams

Behold! My 2e characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Voyd211 View Post
                  How does one build an advanced character? Do you just build a base character and then just add X amount of experience points?
                  I can’t answer that on this thread, but FYI any question that boils down to “what does the 3e Core say about X” is something that fans will be happy to field for you on the “Ask a Question, Get an Answer” thread.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                    Could you tell us something about gender norms in the Realm? "Properly masculine" and "properly feminine" ways of behavior, personality traits that are idealized, that sort of thing?
                    This is something that gets addressed in some detail in the Realm, but I can touch on the basics. Men get stereotyped as reckless, impulsive, hot-headed, less qualified than women for the positions of highest power. Conversely, women are stereotyped as wise, level-headed, expected not to show anger publicly, and the like.

When it comes to romance, the matriarchal structure of the Realm is something that can't be ignored. For Dynasts, a lot of it comes down to matrilineal descent—a woman's children are his houses. This has a lot of ripple effects in Dynastic society. A woman who takes a consort needn't worry about offending standards of propriety, even if she's married—after all, the children will belong to her and her house, no matter who she has them with. While Dynastic men still take consorts, having a child with one is scandalous, and liable to get your house pissed at you, and you'd better be severing ties before you think about getting married.

Yet I have no doubt that there are still Dynasts who fall for randos in the arse end of nowhere - so the question is, what do they see in them? What would make a non-Dynast "worthy" in the eyes of the typical Dynast? ("Varies by person", of course, is the obviously correct answer, but I'm angling for an answer in the context of the first few questions - idealized forms of gender expression that transcend cultural barriers to romantic interest, basically.
                    So, there's a couple things implicit in this question that need to be unpacked. The Realm doesn't view marriage and love as things that go hand in hand. Marriage is a political institution first and foremost, an obligation Dynasts are expected to live up to for the good of their house and the propagation of the blood of the Dragons. You do it for duty, not for love. If you and your spouse have a loving relationship, good for y'all, but no one's going to see that as the point of a marriage.

So, why do Dynasts fall in love or lust with people? Same reason everyone else does, I'd guess. Maybe the local prince of the satrapy you're overseeing can always put a smile on your face with a joke and plays a mean game of Gateway and is just fun to spend time with, and you'd like to do more of that with him. Maybe the pirate king is super hot. The heart is just as unpredictable in Creation as it is on Earth. While a Dynast's love affairs can be a source of scandal (what's Dynastic society without scandal?), and can definitely be a source of tension and problems within a marriage if they're indiscrete about it, there's no cultural presumption getting in the way of smooching foreigners.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• What is the level of a working to make a zombie?

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post
                        What is the level of a working to make a zombie?
                        Assuming you decide to let sorcery do that, it'd be Terrestrial. I'd personally treat that as the sole province of necromancy, but until that's actually out, it seems fair enough to let sorcerers fudge it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          For Dynasts, a lot of it comes down to matrilineal descent—a woman's children are his houses. This has a lot of ripple effects in Dynastic society. A woman who takes a consort needn't worry about offending standards of propriety, even if she's married—after all, the children will belong to her and her house, no matter who she has them with. While Dynastic men still take consorts, having a child with one is scandalous, and liable to get your house pissed at you, and you'd better be severing ties before you think about getting married.
                          ​Ahh, a reversal of how the prior Editions did it. That's good.

​The way it talked about how there was a stigma against women having extra-marital children technically made sense, but it still often felt uncomfortably like a holdover from something patriarchal. What you're talking about sounds like a much stronger idea than using a kind of matriarchal justification to wind up at the same result.

Originally posted by Robert Vance
                          So, why do Dynasts fall in love or lust with people? Same reason everyone else does, I'd guess. Maybe the local prince of the satrapy you're overseeing can always put a smile on your face with a joke and plays a mean game of Gateway and is just fun to spend time with, and you'd like to do more of that with him. Maybe the pirate king is super hot. The heart is just as unpredictable in Creation as it is on Earth. While a Dynast's love affairs can be a source of scandal (what's Dynastic society without scandal?), and can definitely be a source of tension and problems within a marriage if they're indiscrete about it, there's no cultural presumption getting in the way of smooching foreigners.
                          ​Is it still legal to marry a peasant with the requirement of getting three different judges to sign off on it?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• On the subject of marriage, how viable is it for a member of a Cadet House in the Threshold (say, Ferem) to marry a member of a Dynastic House?

And if Ferem Ladywoman does manage to marry Mnemon dudebro, would their kids be Ferems (because it's their maternal House) or Mnemons (because that's a Dynastic House)?

More generally, how do Dynasts rank themselves compared to members of Cadet Houses? I guess the Head of House Ferem (in 2nd ed, she was called the Shogun, dunno if that's still the case) is ranked lower than Cathak Cainan or V'neef, but is he/she ranked higher than a normal Dynastic Dragonblood (because she's head of a house) or lower (because she's not even from the Realm)?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• What is the Realm's stance on duels? Are they legal or not?
                              And if not, does that matter, or do people in the Realm still duel from time to time?
                              Does the immaculate order have anything to say about it?
                              Last edited by wern212; 12-23-2017, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                                This is something that gets addressed in some detail in the Realm, but I can touch on the basics. Men get stereotyped as reckless, impulsive, hot-headed, less qualified than women for the positions of highest power. Conversely, women are stereotyped as wise, level-headed, expected not to show anger publicly, and the like.

Quick followup questions: what's the Realm's male equivalent of stereotypes that are technically complimentary but still end up fucking women over, such as "women are more sensitive" translating into "therefore emotional labor is solely your job and I don't have to contribute to it one bit"? Also, traits where deviance from the idealized version of gender expression is met with universal disapproval? (The male equivalent of the phenomenon where a woman expressing strong opinions that wouldn't be seen as out of the ordinary coming from a man is being labelled as "kind of a bitch", for example.)

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                                Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Working...
                                X