X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to ask something about Heart-Eclipsing Shroud in my last bout of questions about that tree. The final text says "Motes spent activating this effect are not committed: reverting to her true Intimacies or changing to another persona requires that she use the Charm again." When you get up to "Hundred-Faced Stranger" you now have the potential of losing access to that Charm if your persona is not a social savant. Was it the intention to require Socialize 5 in all these personas lest they lose access to the ability to get out of this form or was it intended that this Charm was always available to every persona regardless of their Socialize score.
    I can't speak to the intent behind Charms I didn't write. I believe you're correct - unless you invest five dots in Socialize, you may have to spend some time stuck as Matches Malone until you've gotten enough XP to raise your Socialize high enough and remember that you're Batman.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by mastroirmo View Post
      This means that if i roll more than 2 successes (if i roll 3s i should bank 6) on the roll for Living Shadow Preparedness i will automatically lose some number of banked success (it says i can use it for a "single" larceny or stealth roll, so i assume it will be 1time per activation)?

actually an essence 2 exalted will roll a lot more successes than 2...

is this just a kind of prepaid/delayed excellency that excanges 1WP for 6m?
      It's possible that you may not get the full benefit of some of your banked successes if they go over your dice cap, yeah. Note that the maximum dice limit Solars can reach is ten, not six.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Stebtabulous View Post
        Separate question about custom artifacts and hearthstone sockets:

Maybe I missed this in Arms of the Chosen, but I didn't see any guidance or tips on choosing the number of hearthstone sockets when you design your own artifact. I assumed it had to do with Artifact level but I saw a wide range (from 0 - 3) at Artifact 3, so that doesn't seem to be the case. Can you provide insight into what you were basing the number of hearthstone sockets on when designing the new ones?

I have a player in my game who really wants 2 sockets in his Artifact. Coming at this topic from another perspective, outside of potentially looking ridiculous, is there any real unbalancing that occurs when you have more hearthstone sockets in an Artifact? Otherwise, is this limit meant to encourage something?
        It's probably the most subjective part of artifact design, largely based on the size and design of the weapon. Smaller things, like chakrams or devil casters, tend to have only one or none at all; three slots tends to be reserved for two-handed weapons or stuff that's otherwise humongous.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Using Arms of the Chosen as an example, you guys are spitting out a hundred mini plot-hooks per page with secret armies, legendary heroes, forgotten kingdoms, etc. I don't expect 99% of them to EVER get expanded upon because that's not why they're introduced. My question is, do you guys keep track of all ones you've created just as a footnote? Do you have a list somewhere of Kingdoms, Heroes, Behemoths, etc that you use to make sure you're not accidentally making up the same place twice?

I'm not asking to see the list or anything, I'm just wondering how much is off the cuff as you write it and how much is somewhat planned and recorded to avoid duplication/confusion/other.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
          I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            It's probably the most subjective part of artifact design, largely based on the size and design of the weapon. Smaller things, like chakrams or devil casters, tend to have only one or none at all; three slots tends to be reserved for two-handed weapons or stuff that's otherwise humongous.
            Mechanically, a key balance point to keep in mind is that you need two or more sockets to access the powers of hearthstones with the Dependent keyword, so a second socket is a significant power boost.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

Mechanically, a key balance point to keep in mind is that you need two or more sockets to access the powers of hearthstones with the Dependent keyword, so a second socket is a significant power boost.
              Also a point worth noting!

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                Using Arms of the Chosen as an example, you guys are spitting out a hundred mini plot-hooks per page with secret armies, legendary heroes, forgotten kingdoms, etc. I don't expect 99% of them to EVER get expanded upon because that's not why they're introduced. My question is, do you guys keep track of all ones you've created just as a footnote? Do you have a list somewhere of Kingdoms, Heroes, Behemoths, etc that you use to make sure you're not accidentally making up the same place twice?

I'm not asking to see the list or anything, I'm just wondering how much is off the cuff as you write it and how much is somewhat planned and recorded to avoid duplication/confusion/other.
                We have a behind-the-scenes outline of the chronology of the eras in Arms and the general details of what was going on in each of them, but not a full compendium of plot hooks.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

We have a behind-the-scenes outline of the chronology of the eras in Arms and the general details of what was going on in each of them, but not a full compendium of plot hooks.
                  Awesome! So the implication of this is that some of these events you refer to in passing for any given artifact were made up on the spot while writing it? If so I think it's been brilliantly handled and I commend you both on your ability to make up a proper noun on the fly.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                  I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Are Manthreshers just going to be jammed into the position of just a variant of Serpent-Sting-Staves?

Are there plans for God Kickings Boots being snuck in again, or are they just like Smash Fists for your lower hands. Same with those Blood Harness things, I didn't use these spiked harnesses in 2nd ed but maybe its because they aren't here I wanted to make NPCs with them.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                      Are Manthreshers just going to be jammed into the position of just a variant of Serpent-Sting-Staves?

Are there plans for God Kickings Boots being snuck in again, or are they just like Smash Fists for your lower hands. Same with those Blood Harness things, I didn't use these spiked harnesses in 2nd ed but maybe its because they aren't here I wanted to make NPCs with them.
                      Nunchaku, iron-soled boots, and razor harnesses can all exist, as well as their artifact versions. It's very easy to come up with statlines for new weapons.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Nunchaku, iron-soled boots, and razor harnesses can all exist, as well as their artifact versions. It's very easy to come up with statlines for new weapons.
                        It is but sometimes when combining them with Martials arts it can be complicated. Some Martial Arts may work with heavy Boots but not all that allow kicking would. And as it stands we don't have a system for using Nunchaku if they don't have an art associated with them. But if they counted the same as Seven Section Staves then boom a bunch of styles can use them.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• If I use Glorious Solar Plate's "Put this over your real armor for better stats/evocations" on a suit of medium armor, am I considered to be wearing Medium (because of my real armor) or Heavy (because of GSP) armor?

"Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination."

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves"

Comment

• Originally posted by Marros56 View Post
                            If I use Glorious Solar Plate's "Put this over your real armor for better stats/evocations" on a suit of medium armor, am I considered to be wearing Medium (because of my real armor) or Heavy (because of GSP) armor?
                            GSP-upgraded armor is heavy.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I'm trying to get a better Idea for how fast you can go outside of combat, I was wondering how many range bands can you cross per turn when you aren't in combat?
                              We homebrewed that your max speed in mph outside of combat worked well as "(Dexterity + Athletics + Specialty + *Relevant Modifiers*) x2" Which works out to a top speed of 24mph before stunts, willpower, or charms, which is damn close to Usain Bolts record of 27-28mph.

I was trying to work out how much of a speed boost Racing Hare method and its ilk are, but I don't know how many range bands you can cover unassisted.

Comment

• Originally posted by MobiusHero View Post
                                I'm trying to get a better Idea for how fast you can go outside of combat, I was wondering how many range bands can you cross per turn when you aren't in combat?
                                If you're using range bands to track movement outside of combat—which is sometimes reasonable, when maneuvering and positioning is important but no one's trying to stab each other—you move one range band per turn, just like in combat.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X