Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There seems to be increasing space for Abyssal narratives and more variety in the Underworld, are there significant powers (The Dual Monarchy is an old favorite of mine) that can provide an Abyssal with a "3rd Way" between Solar Transformation and eventual/total depravity?

And given the focus on variety of goals and temperament in Deathlords, do one of them offer a possible path?

Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it.
    - Mark Twain, a Biography

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      We'll be going with the previewed concept, but it's not that Abyssals gain Charms based on the Deathlord they serve. Rather, as Abyssal Charms branch out and develop, they emulate the themes and powers of the Deathlords, much as those of the Solars emulate the Unconquered Sun. An Abyssal who serves the Mask of Winters (or no Deathlord at all!) is free to take Charms that invoke the themes of the Silver Prince or the First and Forsaken Lion.
      How is this going to square with the canonically undefined Deathlords?

Like, there's always been 13 Deathlords, but only 9(ish? I can't think of more) have been canonically defined. Should we expect the others to get explicitly defined, implicitly defined by 'Abyssal charms which draw on unnamed but themed Deathlords', just have Abyssal charms draw on those defined Deathlords, or some other clever solution?

A tinkering effort at bringing Raksha into Ex3: Fair Folk: The Beautiful Thieves

A tinkering effort at bringing fate ninjas into Ex3: Sidereals: Where Fate Has Led - Album of the Charm Trees thereof.

Comment

• Do you have some media recommendation for inspiration on Liminals and Getimians?

Comment

• Originally posted by Janissary87 View Post
          There seems to be increasing space for Abyssal narratives and more variety in the Underworld, are there significant powers (The Dual Monarchy is an old favorite of mine) that can provide an Abyssal with a "3rd Way" between Solar Transformation and eventual/total depravity?
          The only significant power the Abyssals need to find a third way is themselves.

And given the focus on variety of goals and temperament in Deathlords, do one of them offer a possible path?
          It's possible to serve several of the Deathlords while still being able to consider yourself genuinely righteous.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            The only significant power the Abyssals need to find a third way is themselves.
            Undoubtedly.

My question pertains more to support systems and power structures. A Solar or Lunar, and to a greater degree Dragonblooded or Siderial, can exert their power through systems and administrations that an Abyssal can't. Further, the term structure of the Abyssal seems to (at least at this point in the previews) place a significance on service, so I'm asking if there's going to be a way for Abyssals to channel this beyond the trope of genocide camp administrator.

I guess my question has more to do with the Underworld than the Abyssals individually, with the question being will there be space for Abyssals in the Underworld to have someone or something to fight (or organize, administrate, etc) without the player feeling like they're running into a brick wall?

Sure, any Exalted can be an emperor unto themselves, but I find a story much more rewarding when the actions of a character have a direct influence on those under their power. The idea of running diplomacy or "a divided kingdom must unite" games with the bizarreness of doing it in the Underworld intrigues me, but the 1st and 2nd ed sort of stood in the way of that by putting the entire underworld squarely under the heel of the Deathlords.

Blasphemy? No, it is not blasphemy. If God is as vast as that, he is above blasphemy; if He is as little as that, He is beneath it.
            - Mark Twain, a Biography

Comment

The idea of running diplomacy or "a divided kingdom must unite" games with the bizarreness of doing it in the Underworld intrigues me, but the 1st and 2nd ed sort of stood in the way of that by putting the entire underworld squarely under the heel of the Deathlords.
              The Underworld is no more under the heel of the Deathlords than Creation is under the heel of the Realm, and there's lots to do in Creation.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Creation's night sky works basically the way the classical world thought of the sky, right? The stars are fixed relative to one another, there are five planets (the maidens) that move relative to the stars and one another?

Assuming yes, do the positions of constellations change over the course of the year a la the classical concept of the rotation of the celestial sphere, or are Creation's stars totally static?

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

• Originally posted by Aretii View Post
                  Creation's night sky works basically the way the classical world thought of the sky, right? The stars are fixed relative to one another, there are five planets (the maidens) that move relative to the stars and one another?

Assuming yes, do the positions of constellations change over the course of the year a la the classical concept of the rotation of the celestial sphere, or are Creation's stars totally static?
                  Rando pedantry, but there are seven classical planets (sun and moon move too y'know.) <_<

And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                    Rando pedantry, but there are seven classical planets (sun and moon move too y'know.) <_<
                    Yeah, but we already know the Sun and Moon's deals in Creation, and I was trying to group Exalted-ontologically-related entities together in my question rather than stick to classical astronomy.

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

Also, if I recall correctly, the stars other than the sun and, in this case, moon are supposed shift about unpredictably, whereas the moon's nightly course is predictable and comforting in comparison.

(Am I recalling it correctly? I thought past developers said something to that effect.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Aretii View Post
                        Creation's night sky works basically the way the classical world thought of the sky, right? The stars are fixed relative to one another, there are five planets (the maidens) that move relative to the stars and one another?

If we ever feel the need to specify this, we'll probably call it out in Sidereals. We're not deciding before then in case it ends up being relevant to how astrology works.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                          The Underworld is no more under the heel of the Deathlords than Creation is under the heel of the Realm, and there's lots to do in Creation.
                          Really, the Underworld is probably less dominated by the Deathlords than Creation is by the Realm. The Deathlords collectively control less territory than the Realm -- First and Forsaken Lion is the only one who really has an "empire" as such. (And even that might change, given that the map of the Underworld is aparrently being redrawn.) They're also at odds with each other, while the Realm is much more unified (at least for the time being.)

Previous editions chose to focus heavily on the Deathlords, but there's plenty of room to broaden that focus. I'd particularly like to see more about the Dual Monarchs, who I've always thought were underused. I'd also like to see more glimpses of the past -- ancient or even prehuman societies that have long since vanished from Creation, but endure in the Great Below. Earlier editions touched on this a bit, but there's room for a lot more. And then there's whatever power the Liminals serve.... I just wish I knew when we'd get to see this stuff!

Comment

I guess my question has more to do with the Underworld than the Abyssals individually, with the question being will there be space for Abyssals in the Underworld to have someone or something to fight (or organize, administrate, etc) without the player feeling like they're running into a brick wall?
                            That's a major goal in regard to how we're designing the Underworld.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by DSPaul View Post
                              I'd also like to see more glimpses of the past -- ancient or even prehuman societies that have long since vanished from Creation, but endure in the Great Below.
                              Prehuman societies reflected in the Underworld would have to be ones that still existed at the time the Neverborn were killed, wouldn't they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post

Prehuman societies reflected in the Underworld would have to be ones that still existed at the time the Neverborn were killed, wouldn't they?
                                The origin of the Underworld is not the same as it was in past editions.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X