X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its mentioned in this thread that elder exalts will have 1 or 2 essence 6+ signature charms. I understand this propably hasn't been given much priority, since a slew of other stuff are more important. I would still like to ask if its going to be more like 1 high essence ability per essence dot higher than 5 or is max 2 no matter what. Also will these signature charms be more like permanent enhancers of the charms of an ability or unique effects or both? If you don't mind giving a hint, how can high essence abilities be introduced without unbalancing the games balance?

Comment

• Originally posted by NinjaElk View Post
      In Arms of the Chosen, the Heaven and Earth Gauntlets paired smashfists have the Meteor Fist Meditation evocation that upgrades Adamantine Fists of Battle. However, two of the three effects that AFoB gives you only function when using explicitly bare hands. This seems odd when to have this evocation you'd presumably be wearing the smashfists on both hands. Do smashfists count as bare hands due to their similarity, or can you only benefit from the decisive portion of AFoB while wielding the Heaven and Earth Gauntlets?
      Meteor Fist Meditation makes the gauntlets compatible with Adamantine Fists of Battle. That'll be explicit in the error-corrected pdf.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Malfi View Post
        Its mentioned in this thread that elder exalts will have 1 or 2 essence 6+ signature charms. I understand this propably hasn't been given much priority, since a slew of other stuff are more important. I would still like to ask if its going to be more like 1 high essence ability per essence dot higher than 5 or is max 2 no matter what.
        It's not a hard cap, just a projection of how many we're likely to include in any given NPC's write-up.

Also will these signature charms be more like permanent enhancers of the charms of an ability or unique effects or both?
        There's a number of ways to approach them. The biggest thing is that they should be unique and awesome reflections of the Exalt in question's legend, but not in ways that make them unstoppably overpowering against lower-Essence characters.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Legendary size states "Decisive attacks made by smaller enemies cannot deal more than (3 + attacker’s Strength) levels of damage, not counting any levels of damage added by Charms or other magic." Does something like Throat-Slitting Shadow Atemi count as "levels of damage added by Charms"? How about Thunderbolt Attack Prana? Fatal Stroke Flash? Trying to get a feel for what actually qualifies vs what doesn't.

How are all the Craft charms supposed to interact with each other? Let's say I've got the following (with all repurchases):

Flawless Handiwork Method
          Supreme Masterwork Focus
          Experiential Conjuring of the True Void
          Unbroken Image Focus
          First Movement of the Demiurge
          Divine Inspiration Technique
          Holistic Miracle Understanding
          Mind-Expanding Meditation

We'll assume I'm Essence 5 with Intelligence 5, Craft 5 and a relevant specialty for 11 dice base. We then use the following:

Flawless Handiwork Method (reroll 6s and 10s until they fail to appear)
          Supreme Masterwork Focus (double 7s)
          Mind-Expanding Meditation (15 dice Excellency)

So we start off by rolling 26 dice, yes? So we'll give that a whirl:

10 10 10 10 10 9 9 9 8 8 7 7 6 5 5 5 5 4 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1

First things that stand out when trying to figure out what happens next:

1) Flawless Handiwork Method doesn't say that you keep the successes from rolled 10s. This should probably receive some errata to read more like Orichalcum Fists of Battle.
          2) Flawless Handiwork Method lets me reroll 6s and 10s until 6s and 10s fail to appear. Experiential Conjuring of the True Void may only be used after an Attribute + Craft roll. Same with Unbroken Image Focus. First Movement of the Demiurge is an upgrade to Experiential Conjuring of the True Void, so I assume it has the exact same timing. Divine Inspiration Technique is in the same boat. Therefore, I assume rerolling 10s and 6s occurs first. If this is wrong, please let me know.

So we'll reroll those dice and get the following:

9 8 8 7 3 1

So our new dice result is this:

9 9 9 9 8 8 8 8 7 7 7 5 5 5 5 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1

Presumably, we've banked the 10 successes from the 10s that we've rerolled. With double 7s, we also have 22 successes for the dice still showing, bringing us up to a total of 32 successes. Now what happens? Experiential Conjuring of the True Void, Unbroken Image Focus, and Divine Inspiration Technique all have timing windows that occur once we've reached this point. Do I roll my 10 dice from Divine Inspiration Technique next? Do I buy my 26 successes from Unbroken Image Focus before proceeding further? Do I roll my 10 dice + 1 success from Experiential Conjuring of the True Void next? Does First Movement of the Demiurge only apply to the dice rolled by Experiential Conjuring of the True Void, or does it let me change 3 dice (4 9s, 4 8s, 3 7s) into a 10? When I change those dice to a 10 and I'm using Flawless Handiwork Method to reroll 10s, if I create 3 10s, does that allow me to change an additional non-success die to a 10 before I'm forced to reroll 10s? Do I apply Experiential Conjuring of the True Void and Divine Inspiration Technique simultaneously and roll those dice together, then roll the recursive dice for Divine Inspiration Technique and Holistic Miracle Understanding until those stop creating new rolls, then calculate how many non-successes I can convert to 10s with First Movement of the Demiurge, then recursively add more dice from those successes because of Divine Inspiration Technique + Holistic Miracle Understanding, then calculate First Movement of the Demiurge against those?

There's some serious "order of operations" issues with Craft that can drastically change the outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Phoenix View Post
            Legendary size states "Decisive attacks made by smaller enemies cannot deal more than (3 + attacker’s Strength) levels of damage, not counting any levels of damage added by Charms or other magic."
            Things that directly say they add levels of damage, or add automatic successes to the damage roll. So...

Does something like Throat-Slitting Shadow Atemi count as "levels of damage added by Charms"?
            No. Converting dice to successes isn't adding successes.

How about Thunderbolt Attack Prana?
            No. TAP's gotta have some weakness.

Fatal Stroke Flash?
            No, adding dice and doubling 9s aren't adding levels of damage.

How are all the Craft charms supposed to interact with each other?
            It's gonna be one of those days, isn't it? :P

1) Flawless Handiwork Method doesn't say that you keep the successes from rolled 10s. This should probably receive some errata to read more like Orichalcum Fists of Battle.
            Yeah, it should. The much easier way to parse it is to understand it as rolling an additional non-Charm die for every 10 that appears.

2) Flawless Handiwork Method lets me reroll 6s and 10s until 6s and 10s fail to appear. Experiential Conjuring of the True Void may only be used after an Attribute + Craft roll. Same with Unbroken Image Focus. First Movement of the Demiurge is an upgrade to Experiential Conjuring of the True Void, so I assume it has the exact same timing. Divine Inspiration Technique is in the same boat. Therefore, I assume rerolling 10s and 6s occurs first. If this is wrong, please let me know.
            You're right so far.

Experiential Conjuring of the True Void, Unbroken Image Focus, and Divine Inspiration Technique all have timing windows that occur once we've reached this point.
            I think the most helpful approach is not to think of things in terms of strict timing windows when it comes to things that can recursively enhance rolls. By way of illustration, I'm going to run through the effects in a somewhat arbitrary order.

Divine Inspiration Technique lets you roll a die for every three successes. Do that.

Unbroken Image Focus lets you purchase some number of successes. Do that. Note that it only counts successes on your "initial roll"—things you activate reflexively after that, like Divine Inspiration Technique and Experiential Conjuring of True Void, won't count. If Unbroken Image Focus increases your total successes enough, you might roll some more dice off of Divine Inspiration Technique.

Experiential Conjuring of True Void gives you some successes and some dice. Do that. Based on your new successes, you might roll some more dice off of Divine Inspiration Technique.

​Does First Movement of the Demiurge only apply to the dice rolled by Experiential Conjuring of the True Void, or does it let me change 3 dice (4 9s, 4 8s, 3 7s) into a 10?
            It applies to any and all dice rolled as part of that Craft roll.

When I change those dice to a 10 and I'm using Flawless Handiwork Method to reroll 10s, if I create 3 10s, does that allow me to change an additional non-success die to a 10 before I'm forced to reroll 10s?
            Yeah.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Let me ask you this, then.

1) I have 32 successes on the initial roll. I roll 1 success on my Divine Inspiration Technique roll. If I only count the 1 success in the Divine Inspiration Technique roll, then I receive no further Divine Inspiration Technique rolls. If I can add in the 2 remaining successes from my initial roll, then I do get to make another Divine Inspiration Technique roll. Similarly, the Divine Inspiration Technique rolls themselves may leave a remainder, ie, 10 successes which would grant 3 dice with 1 success remaining. If I have enough successes from those rolls to get to another multiple of 3, should I add an additional non-Charm die?

2) Should I be leaving 10s on the table and rolling additional dice then, or do I scoop and reroll those 10s with each roll? Let's say that I make 3 Divine Inspiration Technique rolls and each of those rolls has a single 10 in the results. If I have to reroll those immediately, then I don't get to count them for First Movement of the Demiurge to change a non-success to a 10. If I keep them and simply roll an additional non-Charm die for each 10, then I do get to count them for First Movement of the Demiurge.

3) I assume First Movement of the Demiurge makes no distinction between the initial dice roll and all of the Divine Inspiration Technique rolls? Let's say I had 2 7's on the initial roll and get another 7 on a Divine Inspiration Technique roll. I get to change a non-success to a 10 now, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Phoenix View Post
                1) I have 32 successes on the initial roll. I roll 1 success on my Divine Inspiration Technique roll. If I only count the 1 success in the Divine Inspiration Technique roll, then I receive no further Divine Inspiration Technique rolls. If I can add in the 2 remaining successes from my initial roll, then I do get to make another Divine Inspiration Technique roll.
                Divine Inspiration Technique keys off the total of all your successes; it won't discriminate between your initial roll and successes generated by it or other effects, and adds them together.

Similarly, the Divine Inspiration Technique rolls themselves may leave a remainder, ie, 10 successes which would grant 3 dice with 1 success remaining. If I have enough successes from those rolls to get to another multiple of 3, should I add an additional non-Charm die?
                Yep.

2) Should I be leaving 10s on the table and rolling additional dice then, or do I scoop and reroll those 10s with each roll? Let's say that I make 3 Divine Inspiration Technique rolls and each of those rolls has a single 10 in the results. If I have to reroll those immediately, then I don't get to count them for First Movement of the Demiurge to change a non-success to a 10. If I keep them and simply roll an additional non-Charm die for each 10, then I do get to count them for First Movement of the Demiurge.
                As a Sanity-Saving Concession, I think just rolling an extra dice for each 10 is easier in all ways. It may be that rerolled 10s weren't intended to count towards First Movement of the Demiurge, but I don't think a self-nerfing interaction like that was intentional.

3) I assume First Movement of the Demiurge makes no distinction between the initial dice roll and all of the Divine Inspiration Technique rolls? Let's say I had 2 7's on the initial roll and get another 7 on a Divine Inspiration Technique roll. I get to change a non-success to a 10 now, correct?
                Correct.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Cool, thanks for clarifying all of that. I think that qualifies as a legendary social goal, so you can vent the point of Limit I just gave you by asking about Craft.

Comment

• Can I use Defend Other to prevent the swarm of Obsidian butterflies from hitting my friend? Would doing so hit me twice (since it rolls to hit everyone)?

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5 , Vol 6
                    Many Limbed Manual
                    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here
                    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      No. TAP's gotta have some weakness.
                      Does Thunderbolt Attack Prana work on a surprise attack or an ambush? It doesn't say it doesn't, but it requires crossing a considerable distance in 'a brilliant, essence-laden arc', which seems like it might give a bit of warning.

Comment

• Quick Dev Question - Would Spell: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze be able to be used with the charm Diamond Body Prana?

Comment

• Originally posted by drakor View Post
                          Quick Dev Question - Would Spell: Invulnerable Skin of Bronze be able to be used with the charm Diamond Body Prana?
                          No. Diamond Body Prana is incompatible with armor, and Invulnerable Skin of Bronze is considered wearing armor for the purposes of effects that are incompatible with such.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
                            Does Thunderbolt Attack Prana work on a surprise attack or an ambush? It doesn't say it doesn't, but it requires crossing a considerable distance in 'a brilliant, essence-laden arc', which seems like it might give a bit of warning.
                            Yes. By the time you're pulling out your signature move FX, it's too late for them to defend.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                              Can I use Defend Other to prevent the swarm of Obsidian butterflies from hitting my friend?
                              Yes.

Would doing so hit me twice (since it rolls to hit everyone)?
                              Yes, ff it beats your Parry and the sorcerer elects to direct it against you, rather than your ward.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

Yes, if it beats your Parry and the sorcerer elects to direct it against you, rather than your ward.
                                Hmmm I always played it that these sort of area attacks all happen in the same instant and as such you note down your defense for the moment then the DoOB hits you at the same time and even if it hits you if it cant overcome both defenses added together it doesn't hit the defend other target. So you get Piccolo Defending Gohan type of moments. Being able to decide to hit one target over another on a indiscriminate area attack seemed kinda weird to me.

Is this how it works for all area attacks? In these kind of situations do you suffer onslaught on one of the attacks how do you decide which one?

Comment

Working...
                                X