Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I've seen this one asked yet, but apologies if it's a duplicate.

If someone orders a battlegroup to Defend Other or use Full Defense, do the successes from the order action add to the dice pool that determines Parry/Evasion, or does the battlegroup simply do the action with no addiional modifiers from the dice roll?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abakus View Post
      I don't think I've seen this one asked yet, but apologies if it's a duplicate.

If someone orders a battlegroup to Defend Other or use Full Defense, do the successes from the order action add to the dice pool that determines Parry/Evasion, or does the battlegroup simply do the action with no addiional modifiers from the dice roll?
      The bonuses from an order action only add to dice rolls (and if they could be used to buff Parry, battle group defend others would become ungodly cap-breaking ubertank tactic).

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        The bonuses from an order action only add to dice rolls (and if they could be used to buff Parry, battle group defend others would become ungodly cap-breaking ubertank tactic).

*dashes off to homebrew Solar War charms that do exactly that, but with like, charm caps of course*

May you live in interesting times...

Storyteller of Sun Forged Oath

Comment

• What about the other way around? Can my Solar general use Defend Other to protect his troops? Tangent to that, what happens if I use Tiger Warrior Training Technique on non-human battlegroups (summoned elementals or demons being maybe the easiest examples)?
          Last edited by serGregness; 04-10-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• We actually had a major rules uncertainty about Battle Groups come up in our game last week: Can you use Defend Other to protect a Battle Group from attacks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fata-Ku View Post
              I think it was SLS that covered this a while ago: essentially, on a per-round timeline, Disengage and Rush cancel each other out. If such a deadlock occurs (you always Disengage, they always Rush to keep up), you should switch to a chase scene (contested and/or extended Athletics or Ride rolls).

The Withdraw rules kind of assume that there are other people keeping the attackers busy.
              Yeah it seems that way. Just want to be able to explain the tactical function of it.

Another question that was asked along these lines is do charms like Lightning Speed only aid a rush or will they help someone who is the subject of a Rush?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
                We actually had a major rules uncertainty about Battle Groups come up in our game last week: Can you use Defend Other to protect a Battle Group from attacks?
                Yes, if you come up with a stunt that explains how you're doing this.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
                  Another question that was asked along these lines is do charms like Lightning Speed only aid a rush or will they help someone who is the subject of a Rush?
                  Things that say the enhance rushes don't enhance the opposed roll to resist being rushed.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• This is an "ask the developers" thread. If you aren't a developer, or quoting a post of theirs that answers a question, then don't reply. This should not be a difficult concept to grasp and thread bans are going to start being issued. Sidebar conversations between users are also not to be carried on, take those to PM if you need to conduct them.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                    Posts in this color are moderator posts
                    Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                    Forum Terms of Use
                    the Contact Us link.

Comment

• Couple of rapid-fire questions about the socialize persona tree:
                      Hundred-Faced Stranger - can you purchase Attributes in the persona with the XP it earns in play?
                      Hundred-Faced Stranger - can you purchase Craft, Lore, and Occult in the persona with the XP it earns in play?
                      Legend Mask Methodology - could sorcery be learned since it's initiated by a Charm by a created persona that it's appropriate to? (Such as a mystic)

Thanks as always!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stebtabulous View Post
                        Hundred-Faced Stranger - can you purchase Attributes in the persona with the XP it earns in play?
                        I believe the intention is that your persona's Attributes remain the same as your own, so I think it makes sense to apply the restriction on spending to both the initial slush fund of XP and XP earned it play.

Hundred-Faced Stranger - can you purchase Craft, Lore, and Occult in the persona with the XP it earns in play?
                        Based on the first answer, I think this is also no. You aren't supposed to be able to get a back-up artifact crafting persona to use over downtime, is the intent, I think.

Legend Mask Methodology - could sorcery be learned since it's initiated by a Charm by a created persona that it's appropriate to? (Such as a mystic)
                        Yes, as long as they can meet the Occult min.

(It probably wouldn't hurt anything to let them learn different spells, but that is not how LMM works as written).

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I'd like to repeat a question I had back a ways if it's all right: Does Hauberk-Summoning Gesture work the same way as Summoning the Loyal Steel (commit the cost to banish, lift it to recall), or do you pay the cost on banishing and again on recall? I do notice that it's an instant duration Reflexive charm that seems to suggest the latter, but still not totally sure.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

• Another (fairly complicated, apologies) persona question: how exactly is Hundred-Faced Stranger meant to work with Dawn abilities? There are a couple things that confuse me. First, the rules for allocating the persona's starting dots say it "cannot have a Craft, Lore, Occult or a Dawn Caste Ability rated higher than the Solar's own", but it additionally "may not have a higher number of dots spread across Dawn Abilities than the Solar has". I'd assume the first statement means that if you have archery 2, brawl 4 and no other Dawn abilities, your persona cannot have more than archery 2 and brawl 4 or any dots in other Dawn abilities, but then the second clause is entirely redundant, since it's obviously mathematically impossible to have more total dots spread across all your Dawn abilities if none of your Dawn abilities can be higher than those of the original. Second, the rules for spending persona XP specifically say it can't learn Craft, Lore or Occult dots that the Solar doesn't know, but there's no restriction on Dawn abilities here like there was in the rules for setting up the persona's original dots. The interpretations I can see are:

- Personas are always capped to whatever Dawn abilities the original has. The clause about not having more total dots is a mistake, as is leaving Dawn abilities off the list of things that can't be brought above the original's rating with XP.
                            - Personas are capped to the same Dawn ability ratings as the original when created, but can learn new ones with XP. The rule about not being able to allocate more total dots to Dawn abilities than the original is intended to apply to dots bought with XP, not to allocating its starting dots.
                            - The clause about personas being capped to the same starting dots as the original is a mistake. They can start with individual Dawn abilities rated higher than the original's as long as they don't start with more total dots in Dawn abilities, and can then freely spend XP on raising Dawn abilities that the original doesn't have.

Are any of those correct, or is it something else entirely?

Also, bonus question I noticed while typing this up: the restriction on spending XP on Craft, Lore and Occult is phrased as "With the exception of Craft, Lore, and Occult it may also learn Abilities the Exalt does not herself know". I've been assuming that means the persona can't exceed the rating of the original on Lore, Occult or any given Craft, but you could also interpret it as saying that if the original has one dot in Craft (basketweaving), the original knows Craft (basketweaving) and the persona is therefore free to buy up to five dots in it. Which is the intended reading?

My homebrew: Abyssals, Infernals, Dragon Kings, martial arts.

Comment

• Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
                              I'd like to repeat a question I had back a ways if it's all right: Does Hauberk-Summoning Gesture work the same way as Summoning the Loyal Steel (commit the cost to banish, lift it to recall), or do you pay the cost on banishing and again on recall? I do notice that it's an instant duration Reflexive charm that seems to suggest the latter, but still not totally sure.
                              It's instant—you pay 3m to banish, and 3m to recall.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                                It's instant—you pay 3m to banish, and 3m to recall.
                                Thank you!

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Working...
                                X