This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by garammasala View Post
    I've got a question about Feats of Strength used for combat purposes.

Say I've got an Essence 1 Athletics Supernal Solar with Nine Aeons Thew and its prerequisites. A Dragonblooded swordswoman that has witnessed that he is a dangerous heretic, but has not realized he is anathema, steps forward to challenge and kill him in single combat. The venue is a residential city street.

The Solar accepts, activating all their supplemental and reflexive strength charms, plus a full excellency, and lands a respectable but not overly optimistic 35 successes. I've no idea how big a thing that might allow someone to pick up, but the Solar conservatively picks up a nearby house.

The Dragonblooded spends her turn activating a scene-long defensive buff or shooting a wind-carried message to her distant friends to go fetch the Wyld Hunt, or something else that doesn't disrupt my example.

The Solar then attempts to place the house into the nearby space the Dragonblooded is currently occupying.

How do I handle this, mechanically?
    "Note that even though the Exalted may be able to exercise divine strength beyond the limits of mortal men, they’re still constrained by their size—no matter how strong a Solar is, he still can’t uproot a mountain, because there’s no way for him to get leverage on something that big. At best, he could tear loose great boulders, or rip open a seam in a cliff face with his hands." (Exalted, p.230)

The Solar could demolish a house pretty trivially with that level of strength, and could wave around a rafter or support beam as a weapon—I'd call it a heavy mundane melee weapon with the Bashing, Improvised, Reaching, Smashing, and Two-Handed tags, maybe house-ruling in a couple bonus points of Overwhelming due to its size and mass. But a house isn't a single indestructible unit; it wouldn't hold together when the Solar grabs a corner and pulls.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
      "Note that even though the Exalted may be able to exercise divine strength beyond the limits of mortal men, they’re still constrained by their size—no matter how strong a Solar is, he still can’t uproot a mountain, because there’s no way for him to get leverage on something that big. At best, he could tear loose great boulders, or rip open a seam in a cliff face with his hands." (Exalted, p.230)

The Solar could demolish a house pretty trivially with that level of strength, and could wave around a rafter or support beam as a weapon—I'd call it a heavy mundane melee weapon with the Bashing, Improvised, Reaching, Smashing, and Two-Handed tags, maybe house-ruling in a couple bonus points of Overwhelming due to its size and mass. But a house isn't a single indestructible unit; it wouldn't hold together when the Solar grabs a corner and pulls.
      Alright, to use an example from the book itself: replace "house" with "yeddim".

It's not as snazzy, but at least the book is clear that comic-book physics function at least up to the size of a yeddim. They're 15 tons. The Solar tries to place a 15 ton yeddim in the area that the Dragonblooded occupies.

How does wielding a 30,000lb animal compare mechanically to wielding a sword?

Comment

5. (I said I wasn't going to ask any questions about the new Exalt types. But this seemed potentially reasonable. And I'm kind of dying to know, myself.) When the current developers consider the vague, unsolidified conceptual thought-space of Getimians, is there a particular fictional character they could ominously name that might put someone else into the same ballpark of possibility?
        Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Nox, from Wakfu, isn't a perfect match, but hits on a lot of the themes that matter.
        Ohhhhh my god. That's just. really exciting.

Comment

It's not as snazzy, but at least the book is clear that comic-book physics function at least up to the size of a yeddim.
          Does it? "Pick up an X" is not the same thing as "Swing an X around fast enough and hard enough to hit someone with it with lethal force." The world's best weightlifters can deadlift half a ton, but that's a far cry from hitting you with a half-ton barbell.

There are three issues in play here that I am seeing right now. "How does physics work?" is a bit ambiguous in a world full of magic and stunts, and "What is cool?" is subjective. But the third factor is gameplay, and my feeling at the moment is that "Mythical enchanted weapons are okay, but the real path to ultimate combat prowess is swinging prehistoric megafauna at people" is a problematic approach for the game to take.

Still, Vance may come and overrule me.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• This is a question to both Devs:

Outside of the Realm and Lookshy what new and exciting thing about Dragon Blooded are you looking forward to us find out about the most?

Comment

• I have some questions about Battle Groups that are coming up in my current game.

Can a Battle group delay their actions to clash?

Can I command a battle group to join battle giving it bonus dice on its roll to join battle?

How do I run Intelligence based war actions when my player is not at the front lines? Do I send instructions for my generals that trigger my command actions at later times? Or if I am in the back lines at the time giving them actions every turn or do I need to roll join battle even if I am all the way away from the front line.

If I am between my battle group and the living tower are other powerful being is there any way I can defend my battle group if me and the battle group are in the same range band with him?

Comment

• Is the Cathedral of Sublime Anihilation large enough to hold religious services in?

Comment

• Will there still be "tiered" character creations in certain splats, like Terrestrial Dynast/Outcaste or Sidereal Loyalist/Ronin?

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War, First Draft pdf<NEW

Comment

but the real path to ultimate combat prowess is swinging prehistoric megafauna at people"
                    This is the answer to 99% of Creation's problems.

Comment

• If a Lunar gets a limb cut off in an alternate form, does it go werewolf and change back into the Lunar's normal limb, or does it stay as the alternate form's arm?

Comment

Does it? &quot;Pick up an X&quot; is not the same thing as &quot;Swing an X around fast enough and hard enough to hit someone with it with lethal force.&quot; The world's best weightlifters can deadlift half a ton, but that's a far cry from hitting you with a half-ton barbell.

There are three issues in play here that I am seeing right now. &quot;How does physics work?&quot; is a bit ambiguous in a world full of magic and stunts, and &quot;What is cool?&quot; is subjective. But the third factor is gameplay, and my feeling at the moment is that &quot;Mythical enchanted weapons are okay, but the real path to ultimate combat prowess is swinging prehistoric megafauna at people&quot; is a problematic approach for the game to take.

Still, Vance may come and overrule me.
                        While not strictly exalted per se, I remember reading in Scion (1st edition) about Scions being able to pick up a car by the tailpipe and smack a titanspawn with it. It aknowledged that while physics said they should have just ripped the tailpipe off, the strength of their legend allowed the car to stay together, in accordance with their intent. Please don't lynch me if that's not correct, I'm working off a years old memory.

I know Scion and Exalted are different settings; however, it wouldn't​ be too hard to work that into an athletics or brawl charm. Or even just a stunt, depending on the ST. I know I'd allow smacking warstrider with a guild caravan as a 2+ point stunt with my group. But I also allow some stunts to emulate a single charm effect, because I hate my life.

Comment

• What sort of behemoths can we look forward to wrestling with Titan-Straightening Method?

Comment

• Here's a pair of questions i've been hankering for an official answer to for some time:

All-Sundering Strike: If a charm has a roll twice and pick the best/worst result mechanic, if it does not *explicitly* say charms used to enhance the first roll enhance the second for free as this charm does, does that mean you must pay the full cost of all charms used to enhanced both rolls? I'm looking specifically at Elusive Flicker Evasion as a point of comparison.

Seventeen Cycles Symphony: This charm talks about destroying or undoing a sorcerous working. However, on page 489 of Ex3, the text is pretty specific that a sorcerous working can never be countered/distorted/undone. The closest one can do is to create your own sorcerous working that tries to achieve the opposite effect, and it goes on to describe how the original effect still isn't actually undone, but mitigated. Is this charm setting a precedent for an exception to this rule on sorcerous workings, or is the description in error when it says it straight up removes a sorcerous working?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              Arms of the Chosen contains a warstrider created to fight in the Niobraran War.
                              Is it possible for you to reveal the name of this majestic work of fish-murder?

Also can you give us some insight on how the Realm views warstriders? By which I mean are they still viewed as mostly appearance-based things (used for highly visible and low-risk things) and siege weapons? Or are they now more in line with the 'nuclear option' so to speak?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                                Right now I currently have ice-based Charm as being Air and Water at the same time.
                                Cool. Would lightning be Air and Fire at the same time?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                                X