Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
    are there some general guideline for who can remember sidereals?
    Being Exalted, having a high Integrity score, and having an Intimacy for the Sidereal in question are all factors that'll probably help.


    Developer for Exalted

    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

    Robert Vance's Patreon

    Comment


    • On a related note, what effect does Arcane Fate have on the Lunar/Sidereal conflict? It seems kind of hard to wage a guerrilla war against people whose individual and collective existence you keep forgetting about.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Nope.


        Yes.
        I appreciate the reply, it's great that Minton and you have this thread. Thank you!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          Correct. 10char
          Thanks very much.

          I checked back when you were telling us about Lunar dice caps in shapeshifting, but I couldn't find anything about damage.

          If our strength 3 Changing Moon turns into a tyrant lizard to fight a giant worm monster (as she's going to do next session), how many dice can she add to her damage pools with a strength excellency? I mean, I assume a Tyrant Lizard has much higher Strength than 3, but the damage pools are just damage pools (and obviously, other animal forms might have lower strength).
          Is it just 3 (because she's Strength 3), or do we need to work something out? Like, maybe it's a medium weapon and she's got 3, so she'd be adding 13, and that's what we compare it to? The issue is that animal attacks don't say whether they're medium, heavy, or whatever, attacks.

          One more question (sorry to ask so much, we really appreciate you guys sticking around here to answer all our questions) that got buried at the end of a page.

          Octavian has an excellency-esque charm that lets him add successes to rolls. It doesn't mention static values. Can he use it to increase his Parry and Resolve (on a 1 success for +1 basis)? It doesn't say it can, but as that's how excellencies generally work, I wondered if it was assumed.


          "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            If our strength 3 Changing Moon turns into a tyrant lizard to fight a giant worm monster (as she's going to do next session), how many dice can she add to her damage pools with a strength excellency? I mean, I assume a Tyrant Lizard has much higher Strength than 3, but the damage pools are just damage pools (and obviously, other animal forms might have lower strength).
            Is it just 3 (because she's Strength 3), or do we need to work something out? Like, maybe it's a medium weapon and she's got 3, so she'd be adding 13, and that's what we compare it to? The issue is that animal attacks don't say whether they're medium, heavy, or whatever, attacks.
            Dice caps don't apply to damage or soak, so the Strength and Stamina Excellencies have their own built-in maximums. The base damage/soak of your form doesn't count towards those.

            Octavian has an excellency-esque charm that lets him add successes to rolls. It doesn't mention static values. Can he use it to increase his Parry and Resolve (on a 1 success for +1 basis)? It doesn't say it can, but as that's how excellencies generally work, I wondered if it was assumed.
            I'm pretty sure I intended for Octavian and Ahlat to both be able to use their dice-adders to buff static values, and just failed to convey that in the text.


            Developer for Exalted

            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

            Robert Vance's Patreon

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              I'm pretty sure I intended for Octavian and Ahlat to both be able to use their dice-adders to buff static values, and just failed to convey that in the text.
              Both of them have a separate excellency-like defensive charm for boosting parry, so would that be their designated parry booster or are their generic excellencies also supposed to boost it?


              Infernals - To Rule in Hell
              Simple Solar > Abyssal conversion rules
              3e Dragon Kings
              My martial arts

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Lanaya View Post

                Both of them have a separate excellency-like defensive charm for boosting parry, so would that be their designated parry booster or are their generic excellencies also supposed to boost it?
                Both of their defensive Charms are a bit more involved than just a generic Excellency. They could use either, but can't stack them to cheat their dice limits.


                Developer for Exalted

                Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                Robert Vance's Patreon

                Comment


                • Does the DB charmset support lava themed attacks or do they have to use evocations for something like that?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by The Lidless Eye That Sees View Post
                    Does the DB charmset support lava themed attacks or do they have to use evocations for something like that?
                    I don't think I included any in there, but you could make custom Earth/Fire Charms that let you play Bolin.


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • Are the kinds of things that the corebook establishes about the Lunar mindset with regards to the trauma of losing Solars and being haunted by the memory of the Realm going to get a mechanical expression? Would it just be the kind of thing that informs how some Charms work, or primarily through any expressions of the Rage concept? Does getting a Caste fixed help it out any? Or is it a more abstract thing based in ways you're encouraged to play characters?


                      I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                        Are the kinds of things that the corebook establishes about the Lunar mindset with regards to the trauma of losing Solars and being haunted by the memory of the Realm going to get a mechanical expression? Would it just be the kind of thing that informs how some Charms work, or primarily through any expressions of the Rage concept? Does getting a Caste fixed help it out any? Or is it a more abstract thing based in ways you're encouraged to play characters?
                        It's going to be handled more narratively, like Essence fever is.


                        Developer for Exalted

                        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                        Robert Vance's Patreon

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          It's going to be handled more narratively, like Essence fever is.
                          ​So a kind of "this is part of the context for why Lunars in the setting are the way they are, but it's soft enough that your characters don't need to be bent to it any more than you would want" sort of thing?


                          I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            So, essentially, if you get X threshold successes over their Defence, or more (where X is the enemy's Defence), instead of adding X threshold successes, you get (Dexterity + [Charge/2]), and the extra onslaught?
                            Remember that X is actually (enemy's Defense - 1) thanks to the onslaught penalty of the first attack.

                            Comment


                            • Is there anything like a bare minimum of visitation from Luna, when a Lunar Exalts?

                              Given some examples in print, Luna might appear as a fleeting vision that might leave doubt in a new Lunar's mind that the visitation was real at all, and also leave confusion about who that person is, and possibly fail to give them a reason to care because of no obvious link between that person and their Exaltation.

                              Does every Lunar, whatever the length and form of the visitation, at least walk away knowing that the person they saw was Luna*, and that Luna was there to see and claim them, personally?


                              * And if the Lunar don't know who Luna is beforehand, the goddess at least sticks in the Lunar's mind as someone he'll recognize as Luna later once he learns about her?
                              Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 02-06-2018, 01:05 AM.


                              Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

                              My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

                              Comment


                              • Does spirit-tied pet require the subject "animal companion" already be a Familiar (meaning either the Exalted bought the Familiar Merit at character creation)?

                                To my reading, the answer is no (any "animal companion" can be the subject of Spirit-Tied Pet, otherwise deeper charms such as Beast-Mastering Behavior make little sense) and that the only effective difference between a Familiar Spirit-Tied Pet and a non-Familiar Spirit-Tied Pet would be the Familiar's "innate" ability to communicate with the Exalt, as granted by the Merit. This does imply that a Familiar would be a smarter (possibly sentient) member of it's species than a simple "animal companion" however.

                                So for Survival-focused Exalts, the Merit seems far less valuable (because of elements of Spirit-Tied Pet such as the sense hijacking and other deeper Survival charms) than to non-Survival Exalt who just wants a cool almost-sentient pet. Perhaps adding a "Doctor Doolittle" Merit would solve the issue entirely: Survival-focused Exalts take that, non-Survival Exalts take the Familiar Merit.
                                Last edited by xoff00; 02-06-2018, 01:06 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X