This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by VioletDreamer View Post

These sound great! Any hints as to what you guys are imagining Raksi to have been doing in this edition?
    She's a renowned elder of the Silver Pact, a master sorcerer with the considerable knowledge and power of the Book of Three Circles at her command, and the devil-god queen of the Thousand Fang Army Total Control Zone. It's not a huge change from past editions; more of a subtle refinement in presentation that lets her be what she's always supposed to have been.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      She's a renowned elder of the Silver Pact, a master sorcerer with the considerable knowledge and power of the Book of Three Circles at her command, and the devil-god queen of the Thousand Fang Army Total Control Zone. It's not a huge change from past editions; more of a subtle refinement in presentation that lets her be what she's always supposed to have been.
      Something I think SLS mentioned that I kind of agree with is that her 1e depiction was a lot more sane and together, just kind of also tyrannical and manipulative. Would "rational actor" be probably a better way to think on her in contrast with 2e's more simplistically-depicted Hollywood psychotic?

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

Something I think SLS mentioned that I kind of agree with is that her 1e depiction was a lot more sane and together, just kind of also tyrannical and manipulative. Would "rational actor" be probably a better way to think on her in contrast with 2e's more simplistically-depicted Hollywood psychotic?
        Oh god yes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Hi all,
          A question regarding "Agile Dragonfly Blade" and "One Weapon, Two Blows":
          As far as I understand the text, Agile Dragonfly would raise your initiative by 3. How does that help triggering One Weapon, Two Blows?
          Could you please elaborate on a scenario on how would you use it as both my players and me were baffled by the apparent uselessnes of this charm.

Thanks,
          András

Comment

As I recall from First Edition chapter fiction, Raksi was not originally part of the Pact, thought the Pact was silly, and deliberately tried to disgust and horrify the Pact Lunars who visited her by serving them roasted human babies.

I really don't mind Raksi being changed into a contributing member of the Silver Pact, because in First Edition she didn't seem to serve a point as anything other than a Chaotic-Evil Dungeon Boss for Solar players to kill in order to take her uniquely powerful magic book.

On which note, is Raksi being toned down at all? Like, she at least doesn't try to provoke other Lunars into killing her because of her atrocities, so that they can try to ignore the things she's doing to the mortals around her territory so long as it happens far away from the people the other Lunars care about?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Getimians are the only one to get that kind of mechanical framework overhaul, because we foresaw there being a lot of desire to play Getimian PCs. More simplified, Storyteller-friendly Charm sets are likely to show up for plenty of stuff (raksha come to mind).
              But don't you think people will think all the new Exalts are cool af like Getimians, too? I think we all jumped on them because they're in a unique position of how much we know of them: unlike Liminals and Exigents they don't get a spread, but unlike the other new ones they still get a sidebar all about them. Developers gave lots of hints over the years, too.

I guess I'm asking what makes you think it's Getimians rather than just general hype? It's hard to be hyped about Greek model guy or brooding ghost girl I know nothing about, you know?

Comment

• Originally posted by fridgewind View Post
                Hi all,
                A question regarding "Agile Dragonfly Blade" and "One Weapon, Two Blows":
                As far as I understand the text, Agile Dragonfly would raise your initiative by 3. How does that help triggering One Weapon, Two Blows?
                Could you please elaborate on a scenario on how would you use it as both my players and me were baffled by the apparent uselessnes of this charm.

Thanks,
                András
                One Weapon, Two Blows triggers when you make a withering attack that drops an enemy from an Initiative higher than yours to an Initiative lower than yours. If you're at Initiative 4, and you knock someone from Initiative 10 down to 8 (raising yourself to 7 in the process), that wouldn't normally trigger One Weapon, Two Blows—but if you use Agile Dragonfly Blade, it would.
                Last edited by Robert Vance; 02-10-2018, 01:32 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by reseru View Post
                  But don't you think people will think all the new Exalts are cool af like Getimians, too? I think we all jumped on them because they're in a unique position of how much we know of them: unlike Liminals and Exigents they don't get a spread, but unlike the other new ones they still get a sidebar all about them. Developers gave lots of hints over the years, too.

I guess I'm asking what makes you think it's Getimians rather than just general hype? It's hard to be hyped about Greek model guy or brooding ghost girl I know nothing about, you know?
                  It's not just that people will think the Getimians are cool, but that Getimians will be well-suited as player characters. If there's going to be 2+ people playing Getimians at the table, having Castes and and differentiated Charm trees is a helpful feature that's worthy the complexity added.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Would you envision Lilith as still being Changing Moon, and if so, would there be an idea of how to represent her that fits more with that?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      On which note, is Raksi being toned down at all? Like, she at least doesn't try to provoke other Lunars into killing her because of her atrocities, so that they can try to ignore the things she's doing to the mortals around her territory so long as it happens far away from the people the other Lunars care about?
                      She'll still serve up babies to her occasional guests as a mind game and a power play. However, the mortal cultures within Raksi's dominion aren't poorly treated—by an large, they regard her as their benevolent divine patron.
                      Last edited by Robert Vance; 02-10-2018, 11:34 AM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

It's not just that people will think the Getimians are cool, but that Getimians will be well-suited as player characters. If there's going to be 2+ people playing Getimians at the table, having Castes and and differentiated Charm trees is a helpful feature that's worthy the complexity added.
                        On the reverse side, Dragon Kings wouldn't be as suitable as player characters, because while you could have Pteroks and Mosoks in the south, the hot and arid conditions mean that only the Anklok would actually be at home there. So the different species don't really work very well as "Castes".

Would raksha still have Castes? I imagine they're at least not going to have the complicated mess of eight or more different Castes, each of which can invert into its opposite.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        She'll still serve up babies to her occasional guests as a mind game and a power play. However, the mortal cultures within Raksi's dominion are poorly treated—by an large, they regard her as their benevolent divine patron.
                        That last sentence seems contradictory.

Who is poorly treating the mortals within Raksi's dominion except Raksi herself, and why would they view her murderous tyrrany as benevolence?

Is she actually protecting them from a powerful raksha freehold, or something?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                          Would raksha still have Castes? I imagine they're at least not going to have the complicated mess of eight or more different Castes, each of which can invert into its opposite.
                          Almost definitely not the weird combinatory explosion they used to have.

That last sentence seems contradictory.

Who is poorly treating the mortals within Raksi's dominion except Raksi herself, and why would they view her murderous tyrrany as benevolence?

Is she actually protecting them from a powerful raksha freehold, or something?
                          Should have been "aren't" poorly treated; whoops.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Would that benevolent treatment extend to her having a reputation as being an excellent means of disposing of surplus babies?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

One Weapon, Two Blows triggers when you make a withering attack that drops an enemy from an Initiative higher than yours to an Initiative lower than yours. If you're at Initiative 3, and you knock someone from Initiative 10 down to 5, that wouldn't normally trigger One Weapon, Two Blows—but if you use Agile Dragonfly Blade, it would.
                              Knocking someone from 10 to 5 init would raise you from 3 to 9, in most situations. Does OWTB not factor in your own increase in initiative, or am I just reading way too much into things again?

Comment

• Originally posted by ElOhTeeBee View Post

Knocking someone from 10 to 5 init would raise you from 3 to 9, in most situations. Does OWTB not factor in your own increase in initiative, or am I just reading way too much into things again?
                                Nah, I just goofed up the math. I'll edit that to fix it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X