This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maltry View Post
    If I wanted a character to wander in the dreams of others, dispensing wisdom or guiding the unconscious, how would I best be suited to doing that? Some comments from the former devs implied that they might think that dreams were Lunar territory. But the themes of predator seem to override or outpace the hidden insight and potentially gentle wisdom I'm looking for in that concept. Dreamsouled, as I said, seem more focused on narrative than story. Flash over substance, as it were. I could see an Exigent filling the role certainly. You can always describe a god of *something*. But it feels to me as though an Exigent of wisdom who impinged on Luna's domain of dreams might come under fire from her, and one of wisdom would fall under the auspices of the Unconquered Sun, who seems little given to such a subtle medium.

What do you think is the right space for that kind of character? Someone who draws out a person's true nature, or seeks to soothe their inner demons as they sleep? Even one who seeks the hidden wisdom in mortal's dreams?
    I could certainly see that as a concept for a No Moon, although if you want your Charms tailored to oneiromantic themes, the flexibility of an Exigent might better serve you. Sorcery can also deal in dreams, as might the Evocations of a specialized artifact.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by wern212 View Post
      What would be the best way to handle an army mounted on elephants/mammoths?
      I want to have 100+ combatants on say 20 elephants attack, but I'm not sure if I should just make it a Size 3 Battle Group of "Soldiers on Elephants", or have a battle group of soldiers and one of the elephants, or what the solution here is.
      Because I do like the idea of the elephants being able to attack, but am not sure if splitting the group won't just cause more headaches.
      It's best handled as a single battle group. If you want to represent the elephants attacking, that could be done with the same rules for letting an individual rider have his mount attack, and benefiting from the battle group's traits.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
        So you... pay the Charm's cost?
        By default, the Charm doesn't interact with decisives at all, so I'm not clear on what "use Pearlescent Filigree Defense to defend against a decisive attack" means.
        Yeah, you have to pay the cost.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by VX3 View Post
          Then do you think that during character creation the player will have some degree of authorship as to the nature of their character’s divine patron? Like I’ve always been possessed by a desire to play the Chosen of Silence for instance. In my mind, God of Silence presides over quiet cracks and crevices, awkard silences and also that deep ravine at the end of the world where entities whose hurt fall on deaf ears go to (not to) die.
          Of course.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Possessed View Post
            I know I am already over 10 pages late for this conversation but as a Fair Folk player I would hope that when the time comes for them to finally get their own book, which will unfortunately be years from now, they would get as complete book as any of the other classic core splats. That is to say I resent the very idea they would be simplified for ST use any more than the Solars were or the Dragon-Blooded will be. That is to say they deserve full treatment along side the rest of the classic hardback book earning splats.

Do take into consideration that though my kind are a minority I have always disliked Exalteds humanocentric worldview, even if I do like Exalted immensly, which is why my favourite exalts have always been those further removed from humanity, and heavily elemental DBs, and it is also thelikely reason for my dislike of solars. The Fae have from their 1st ed incarnation forward given me, and others who like their inhumanity, something exiting and challenging to play. They are my breath of fresh air and a nice dose of Chaos in Creation and offer me something exiting beyond it as well.

So while I do get that Fae players are a minority yet I would still hope that after 4 to 5 years of waiting we would get a book meant equally for players and ST’s just like with the other main splats.

Sorry for the rant but this is a matter close to my Heart Grace.
            Fair Folk are still too far down the road for me to give any accurate projection of what the book containing them will look like.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are the Yozi's contactable by humans(exalted or other wise) who wish to bargain with them for power, or is that more something that 3rd and 2nd Circle demons handle? Obviously the faustian "sell your soul" operation seems unlikly, but "build a temple in my name/sacrifices/oblations/etc" seem plausible.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                Are the Yozi's contactable by humans(exalted or other wise) who wish to bargain with them for power, or is that more something that 3rd and 2nd Circle demons handle? Obviously the faustian "sell your soul" operation seems unlikly, but "build a temple in my name/sacrifices/oblations/etc" seem plausible.
                I think it's possible. The negotiations aren't going to resemble any sort of conversation between humans, but it's possible.
                Last edited by Robert Vance; 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  I think it's possible. The negotiations aren't going to resemble any sort of conversation between humans, but it's possible.
                  Contacting a Third Circle and bargaining for power would be orders of magnitude easier though, right? And more likely to result in an understandable conversation?

Comment

​Are their humanoid bodies not even able to speak?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Can Yozis still use their subsouls as a proxy, if need be?

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Contacting a Third Circle and bargaining for power would be orders of magnitude easier though, right? And more likely to result in an understandable conversation?
                        Can Yozis still use their subsouls as a proxy, if need be?
                        Yep. 10char

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​Are their humanoid bodies not even able to speak?
                          The issue isn't that they can't speak, but the massive communication barrier of trying to talk with someone whose mind is so many degrees of magnitude smaller than yours.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Hmmm.....

​Yyyyeah, I have sufficient literary reference points to personally reconcile that with humanoid bodies.

So be it!

​EDIT: Conceited. That's another thing I'm concerned about being in this thread. Apologies.
                            Last edited by Isator Levi; 02-14-2018, 05:04 PM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

So, what's that mean? The three unrevealed Exalt types—which, I might as well go ahead and name as the Hearteaters, the Umbral Exalted, and the Dream-Souled—are going to be optional canon. Individual Storytellers are going to be free to include them in their games, and get pointers on how to do so, but the rest of the line isn't going to be written around the assumption that they exist. Right now, we aren't planning to release dedicated splatbooks for them. Instead, since Exigents is already going to double as the homebrew-your-own-splat book, the plan is to include them in an appendix, laying out their overarching themes and concepts, describing their Charmsets with enough detail for individuals to homebrew their own takes, laying out their backstories, and giving some advice on how to integrate them into your game. Depending on the response to them, we might revise whether or not they get a splatbook later down the line.
                              Are they optional in the same way that Alchemicals or Infernals are optional—assuming those two are still optional—or are they even more optional than that? For instance, if not using the Hearteaters, would it be more that "there were once ancient monstrous exalts that we locked in a box and threw the key into the void" or "no, their mythical patron The Hollow Undersun almost certainly never existed"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anasurimbor View Post
                                Are they optional in the same way that Alchemicals or Infernals are optional—assuming those two are still optional—or are they even more optional than that? For instance, if not using the Hearteaters, would it be more that "there were once ancient monstrous exalts that we locked in a box and threw the key into the void" or "no, their mythical patron The Hollow Undersun almost certainly never existed"?
                                The Storyteller decides whether or not they're canon in the individual game they're running.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X