Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Heaven's Ladder was ultimately just a bit too goofy to make sense as a formalized fighting style practiced in Creation.
    Nooooooooooooo!

    (There goes an image I had in my head of a Chosen of Journeys pc)


    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

    Comment


    • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

      Nooooooooooooo!

      (There goes an image I had in my head of a Chosen of Journeys pc)
      Fear not; I wouldn't rule out a style that revolves around improvised weaponry, nor an artifact ladder.


      Developer for Exalted

      Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

      Robert Vance's Patreon

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        I've been thinking a lot lately about the applications of soft power, and am now on the thought about how that might apply to the Realm. If among the duties of the Immaculate Order are promulgating compelling positive narratives about the Realm (and negative narratives about its enemies) that give it a good image in the eyes of people even when its military or political influence is limited.

        ​Would it be consistent for the Realm to ever abandon satrapies, either because their value has been exhausted or they become tumultuous enough to be not worth the cost of holding them?
        The Empress had a strong interest in maintaining the Realm's aura of invincibility and in denying the Anathema places to gather their forces. Even when the River Province satrapies went over to the League of Many Rivers, the Empress maintained the fiction of control via Greyfalls' paper status as the "Eastern Threshold Administrative District," which theoretically encompasses the entirely of the Scavenger Lands (even as the Scavenger Lands say otherwise). When a satrapy became too tumultuous to hold, she sent in the Imperial legions to pacify it. When a satrapy's ability to provide tribute diminished, she might transfer the satrapial lease to another house better capable of husbanding its resources; fold the satrapy into an adjacent satrapy; or simply reduce the tribute required of it.

        Since the Empress' disappearance, the Great Houses have withdrawn their forces from many of their less profitable satrapies. But even so, those satrapies officially remain part of the Realm.


        Developer for Exalted.

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
          When a satrapy became too tumultuous to hold, she sent in the Imperial legions to pacify it.
          That's kind of a contradiction in terms, isn't it?

          ​Does it undermine the Realm's aura of invincibility if they leave a place on their own terms, having thoroughly gutted it?


          I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

          Comment


          • You talked about how, if the combination of Lunar Charms and Martial Arts Charms was too strong, you would drop the idea of allowing Lunar Charms to combo with Martial Arts Charms.

            Did you ever consider instead dropping Lunar Exalted from “neutral” with Martial Arts Charms to “Terrestrial”?

            It would make sense that the Attribute-based Celestials would find more power in applying their Attribute magic to Martial Arts than in the Martial Arts Ability-based Charms themselves.


            Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

            My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              That's kind of a contradiction in terms, isn't it?
              A satrapy can certainly prove too tumultuous for its satrapial garrison to hold. But few forces could withstand the full might of the Imperial legions under the Empress' rule, and even then, brinksmanship was a factor.

              Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              ​Does it undermine the Realm's aura of invincibility if they leave a place on their own terms, having thoroughly gutted it?
              Of course. Abandon the populace to heresy? Allow banditry to fester and bedevil neighboring satrapies? That would be an unacceptable show of weakness, and a contradiction of the Realm's embrace of the Perfected Hierarchy.


              Developer for Exalted.

              Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                You talked about how, if the combination of Lunar Charms and Martial Arts Charms was too strong, you would drop the idea of allowing Lunar Charms to combo with Martial Arts Charms.

                Did you ever consider instead dropping Lunar Exalted from “neutral” with Martial Arts Charms to “Terrestrial”?

                It would make sense that the Attribute-based Celestials would find more power in applying their Attribute magic to Martial Arts than in the Martial Arts Ability-based Charms themselves.
                I'm not precluding any balance options at this point.


                Developer for Exalted

                Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                Robert Vance's Patreon

                Comment


                • How familiar are either of you with Fullmetal Alchemist? It just occurred to me that the first anime has some really good Liminals inspiration in it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                    How familiar are either of you with Fullmetal Alchemist?
                    Pretty, although I still need to finish Brotherhood.

                    (I still need to finish...a lot of media).

                    It just occurred to me that the first anime has some really good Liminals inspiration in it.
                    Doesn't it? ^_^


                    Developer for Exalted

                    Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                    Robert Vance's Patreon

                    Comment


                    • Forgery and counterfeiting: Larceny or Craft/Linguistics?

                      Comment


                      • This may have been asked before, but I couldn’t find it. Are there any corebook Martial Arts Styles that absolutely should not be allowed to be used together? What about styles that should only be allowed to be used together unarmed?

                        For context, I was considering building an artifact weapon that specifically allowed both Snake and Ebon Shadow to be used together with it and I was worried I might break something.


                        ....

                        Comment


                        • Does the Legendary Size merit's crashing immunity apply to poisons?
                          Where does Yozi venom come from?


                          I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                            Of course. Abandon the populace to heresy? Allow banditry to fester and bedevil neighboring satrapies? That would be an unacceptable show of weakness, and a contradiction of the Realm's embrace of the Perfected Hierarchy.
                            Darn.

                            ​Is there any process in the setting that you think would make for a better depiction of a legacy of imperialism or colonialism in which an external power does exploit the territory to its limit and then abandons the inhabitants to deal with the consequences?

                            ​Sure there's the thing in which some of the satrapies are being withdrawn from, but that's an ongoing process in the game's Year Zero, while I'm thinking of something where it would have left a legacy of bitterness.


                            I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                              Darn.

                              ​Is there any process in the setting that you think would make for a better depiction of a legacy of imperialism or colonialism in which an external power does exploit the territory to its limit and then abandons the inhabitants to deal with the consequences?

                              ​Sure there's the thing in which some of the satrapies are being withdrawn from, but that's an ongoing process in the game's Year Zero, while I'm thinking of something where it would have left a legacy of bitterness.
                              The Realm isn't the only imperialist power in Creation; it's just the most successful one.

                              There may be the occasional place where the Empress withdrew because the place was gutted? But there would be an excuse, someone else to point the finger at. Like, "The Anathema Jochim tore through here and killed everyone, leaving only a wasteland thick with hungry ghosts, so there's sadly no one left for the Realm to protect," while ignoring some handful of survivors. But "The Realm wrecked this place itself and now can't be bothered to clean its own mess up" wouldn't have flown under the Empress' watch; it wasn't the image she (and some of the major power groups she catered to) wanted to sustain.
                              Last edited by Eric Minton; 02-23-2018, 09:35 PM.


                              Developer for Exalted.

                              Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                                Forgery and counterfeiting: Larceny or Craft/Linguistics?
                                Forging a letter so that it appears to be from someone else = Linguistics.

                                Forging a travel permit, a promissory note, currency = Larceny or an applicable Craft.


                                Developer for Exalted

                                Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                                Robert Vance's Patreon

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X