This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lionmanguy View Post
    Okay I have to ask, is the Eye of the Fire Dragon one of the artifacts in the ninth chapter?
    It is not.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Aleksay View Post
      why there are no more Virtues (the main moral pillar of the Creation), and what do Fair Folk eat then? Their whole concept was built around Mirrors of the Virtues.

I mean for me they always were something like 4 additional elements, just like fire, earth, water, air and wood, making whole number of elements 9. So, is there any way to build them into the new edition system in the most organic way?
      Virtues proved to be superfluous with Intimacies.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by wern212 View Post
        Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. If I have a puzzle that my Solar Savant solves through a Intelligence + Lore roll, and she rolls 5+ successes, would that trigger Incomparable Savant Surety (Arms of the Chosen 46) or similar effects?
        Are you introducing a fact that you then use to solve the puzzle, or is the Storyteller just calling for a Lore roll as a way to solve the puzzle?

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Aredin View Post
          I'm looking to read up on Lookshy in prior editions while waiting for these highly anticipated books to drop. Now that you've gotten so far along on your work with DBs, any suggestions for setting the foundation, and possibly things to avoid?

Any other members of the community that feel like they want to chime in feel free to message as well, DB's are something I have been unable to try yet, and not for lack of interest.
          Exalted: The Outcaste, from First Edition, was the main source on Lookshy that we consulted while developing What Fire Has Wrought, although it's worth noting that it depicts Lookshy as having waay more warstriders, skyships, and similar than they do in Ex3.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by wern212 View Post
            If a battle group hits someone for 4i damage while they are at 2i, do they go to -2i or to 0i with 2 health levels of damage.
            By a strict reading, the former, but enh.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Somewhat related to a previous question:
              If I ambush someone, everyone rolls Join Battle, and presumably if I lose Join Battle I've given myself away to their Wits+Awareness roll and it's not an ambush.

What if the person I'm ambushing (let's say an Exalt and important NPC who doesn't have Surprise Anticipation Method) is asleep? Do they still roll Join Battle? Roll but they can't use Awareness charms? Or only roll after they've been woken up (it seems fair to suggest being stabbed wakes them up)?

My Exalted characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                Somewhat related to a previous question:
                If I ambush someone, everyone rolls Join Battle, and presumably if I lose Join Battle I've given myself away to their Wits+Awareness roll and it's not an ambush.

What if the person I'm ambushing (let's say an Exalt and important NPC who doesn't have Surprise Anticipation Method) is asleep? Do they still roll Join Battle? Roll but they can't use Awareness charms? Or only roll after they've been woken up (it seems fair to suggest being stabbed wakes them up)?
                I think it's fair to say a sleeping person automatically fails Join Battle.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

If his parents had never formally informed the house matriarch of his birth, he'd be treated as an outcaste. The Great Houses are barred from adopting outcastes, and since claiming that an unrelated outcaste was actually a relative would be an easy workaround, policies must be in place to close that loophole.
                  That's what I've thought- thanks! It actually made me to evolve the character to something I think is much cooler than what the basic idea was :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Oh, I've got something that's been bugging me for awhile.

Are there respectable non-secondary school paths to a career and education among Dynasts?

I'm thinking in terms like "we could send our boy to the House of Bells, but my cousin, a famous and recognized General, has offered to take them on campaign into the satrapies as their batman." Or "one of my Hearthmates is renowned as a doctor; apprenticing my daughter to them may pay higher dividends than sending them for formal education." Or "my sifu has gone into seclusion, but still takes students; perhaps that's a better spot for my daughter than sending them into the Immaculate Order to learn martial arts."

Is this a done or not-done thing?

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      I think it's fair to say a sleeping person automatically fails Join Battle.
                      If the sleeping character is a dramatically interesting PC, NPC, Exalt etc. can they oppose the ambush attack with their normal magic (i.e. Seven Shadow Evasion), or are they unable to declare charms whils unconcious?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zardoz View Post

If the sleeping character is a dramatically interesting PC, NPC, Exalt etc. can they oppose the ambush attack with their normal magic (i.e. Seven Shadow Evasion), or are they unable to declare charms whils unconcious?
                        It's just like a normal ambush, i.e. can't use defensive Charms unless you have something like Reflex Sidestep Technique or a Charm with a built-in exception.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Zardoz View Post

I'm not Robert, but you'll note that the scenario he was responding to specifically called out that the person in question is "an Exalt and important NPC who doesn't have Surprise Anticipation Method" (emphasis mine) and "is asleep."

Without Surprise Anticipation Method or other equivalent Charms, or a Charm or artifact or something that specifically bypasses the normal rules, you cannot engage your Charms while unconscious. And even Surprise Anticipation Method is extremely narrowly tailored; it only lets you engage Awareness Charms while unconscious in order to make you not unconscious anymore, at which point you can engage your Charms normally. You usually can't declare something like Seven Shadow Evasion while asleep; you need to wake up first.

It is a very good idea to attack an Exalt while they sleep! If that Exalt doesn't have Awareness Charms you are likely to get in some good free hits while they have a very limited number of ways use their Exalted-ness against you!

Having said all this, the terminology is a bit confusing to me, especially the reference to "failing" a Join Battle roll. My understanding is that you can't fail that roll; nor can you succeed at it. Join Battle establishes Initiative, which is an entirely relative thing.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            It's just like a normal ambush, i.e. can't use defensive Charms unless you have something like Reflex Sidestep Technique or a Charm with a built-in exception.
                            Sorry, I meant to say charms you'd normally be able to use in an ambush. Which I believe you previously ruled Seven Shadow Evasion can be?

On the subject of reflex sidestep technique, does it allow you to bypass the normal rules of charm declaration (I.E. all charms have to be declared before dice are rolled), or are you limited to only activating dodge charms that can be used post-roll, such as drifting leaf elusion?

Comment

• If I'm hidden in combat with Stealth, and I'm in close range of an enemy (who can't see me because I'm stealthed, but does know I'm around as the fights continued a while), do I need to disengage to move away?

My Exalted characters:
                              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
                                Oh, I've got something that's been bugging me for awhile.

Are there respectable non-secondary school paths to a career and education among Dynasts?

I'm thinking in terms like "we could send our boy to the House of Bells, but my cousin, a famous and recognized General, has offered to take them on campaign into the satrapies as their batman." Or "one of my Hearthmates is renowned as a doctor; apprenticing my daughter to them may pay higher dividends than sending them for formal education." Or "my sifu has gone into seclusion, but still takes students; perhaps that's a better spot for my daughter than sending them into the Immaculate Order to learn martial arts."

Is this a done or not-done thing?
                                One of the key selling points of the Realm's secondary schools is networking. The Dynasty is one big old-girls'-club where things get done in large part based on one's connections, and the secondary schools are where young Dynasts establish those connections with their fellow students. (And the concentrated education from some of the finest teachers in the Realm in a wide range of subjects is nothing to sneeze at, either.) Skipping over these benefits to get an early start on the sort of hands-on experience that graduates will get anyway? That doesn't look like a good trade to Dynastic parents and matriarchs.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X