This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

The former. Good catch; we'll clarify in layout.

We thought it was only 20-30 students in the whole academy, and for our Heptagram campaign, I was going to design each and every student in the Academy...

If there is 20-30 per year I... I think I will not do it XD

Comment

• Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post

We thought it was only 20-30 students in the whole academy, and for our Heptagram campaign, I was going to design each and every student in the Academy...

If there is 20-30 per year I... I think I will not do it XD
      Eric means a few dozen at any given time, so you could go ahead and do it.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Not sure if this is the right place as I assume Vance and Eric aren’t the chief decision makers here, but maybe Rich can chime in.

There are a variety of fan developed character creation and number crunching/tracking resources out in the wilds of the internet. This ranges from actual programming of applications, to masterfully created spreadsheets, cleverly designed charm cascades, and auto-calculating form-fillable pdfs. One of the big things we see is folks fear of being harangued (legally) for adding charm text as a part of the those resources, that material is definitely a need to make many of these be functionally useful. With the Anathema project sort of officially supported as a part of the Ex3 KS, even if it didn’t materialize, what level of support will OPP offer those independent contributors to the game? Can we dub a new person or group as the inheriter of the support anathema was previously targeted to receive? If that can’t be provided, is there a process for appealing to the license holders to move an initiative forward to get a character and resource management application supported officially?

Craft rewrite.
        Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Who can I thank for the Distaff?

My character got chased by dogs the other night, and if it weren't for the ability to spin a quick weighted net to throw over them, he probably would have had to hurt them in order to get away, and that wouldn't have been any fun.
          That would be me. Glad to hear it's been serving you well!

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
            The chapter fictions are great. Amazing job, guys.
            Yeah, our fiction writers did great work! I'm happy that so many people are appreciating the results.

Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
            Have any of the Iselsi elders got plans for what happens after their Vendetta comes to fruition and the other Great Houses lie in ruins? What does the Realm look like in the aftermath of their revenge? Is there a Realm at all? Do they care at this point?
            The Iselsi elders keep their own counsel; each doubtless has her own plans for the future, however nihilistic.

Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
            Just for fun: I've been re-watching Xena: Warrior Princess (because there wasn't enough ham or cheese in my media diet already), and she's obviously the quintessential Dawn. If you're familiar, what do you think her Supernal Ability is?
            It's been forever since I watched the show, but my first instinct is Thrown.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              Does the Spiral Academy really put more emphasis on refining one-on-one persuasion techniques (Presence) than it does writing skills for communicating with many readers (Linguistics)? I know there’s courtly protocol and sociology-political training, but that’s covered by Socialize. I would think training government functionaries for a massive bureaucracy would put more emphasis on writing?
              The Outer Coil turns out government functionaries; the Spiral Academy turns out leaders trained to oversee and direct those functionaries.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Robert Vance

So, just to get a last clarification when you say at Sense-Destroying Method that :

"In combat, touching an unwilling character is a difficulty 1 Brawl or Martial Arts gambit."

You're saying this just for that specific Charm? And if so, Essence Disruption Attack mentions that it requires a touch like the pre-requisite, but does not state that rules for that specific touch, should we infer it is to be the same rules as the pre-requisite?

I ask because there is a history of some rules being in Charms, instead of their specific section. So we can't take that a "touch your target Gambit" for any other situation will be the same, and that every eventual Charm that requires touch will have their own rules?

And for eventual Charm Creation guideline, what is the reasoning behind this? Is it the consequence of the touch? Not wanting the Charm to be an opener, or to require more setup?

Thanks for engaging!

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                  Robert Vance

So, just to get a last clarification when you say at Sense-Destroying Method that :

"In combat, touching an unwilling character is a difficulty 1 Brawl or Martial Arts gambit."

You're saying this just for that specific Charm? And if so, Essence Disruption Attack mentions that it requires a touch like the pre-requisite, but does not state that rules for that specific touch, should we infer it is to be the same rules as the pre-requisite?

I ask because there is a history of some rules being in Charms, instead of their specific section. So we can't take that a "touch your target Gambit" for any other situation will be the same, and that every eventual Charm that requires touch will have their own rules?
                  I may end up just clarifying it so it's "here how this set of Charms works" rather than "here's UNIVERSAL RULES FOR TOUCH ATTACKS" in layout.

And for eventual Charm Creation guideline, what is the reasoning behind this? Is it the consequence of the touch? Not wanting the Charm to be an opener, or to require more setup?

Thanks for engaging!
                  It builds in an Initiative cost and some variance.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Could Solars have a version of Passion-Inflaming Artistry, or would that lead into the dangerous realm of getting 40 successes on a social roll?

How would you handle someone wanting to just make an entirely mundane sculpture that was beautiful enough to provoke enough emotion to act like an Inspire action on those who see it? Would they roll separately for the crafting and the inspiring? Can you just not do that without a specific charm? Is that just subsumed into the ST fiat that the craft outcomes are part of?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

The former. Good catch; we'll clarify in layout.
                      ... the Heptagram only takes five to seven students a year?

I mean. I get that sorcery isn't a popular career path in the Realm, but that's one-half a student per house per year. This seems... low.

Anyway, I have two questions in this vein:

First, if you can't get into the Heptagram, is Pasiap's Stair considered a viable second choice despite its lesser status? (Pasiap's Stair is the only non-Heptagram secondary school specifically called out as having a sorcery track, albeit one that's battle-magic focused. But maybe you want that if you're a Cathak or Sesus.)

Secondly, do the Sidereal faculty at the Heptagram still sorcerously enjoin their students from being able to talk about their Sidereal-ness, or given the fact that Sidereals are not Anathema anymore and that at least some people know they exist and uphold the Realm, do they just not care?

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• Originally posted by Murcushio View Post

... the Heptagram only takes five to seven students a year?

I mean. I get that sorcery isn't a popular career path in the Realm, but that's one-half a student per house per year. This seems... low.
                        It's probably closer to ten per year? Not a lot, but consider that there aren't a lot of students in any of the four great secondary schools. 10,000-ish Dragon-Blooded Dynasts spread across all ages means something like a thousand secondary school students at any one time. So you're only going to have an annual enrollment of, what, a couple of hundred students? in all secondary schools combined. So the Heptagram is very exclusive, but only by one order of magnitude.

(This is off the cuff, so my numbers above are ballpark at the very best; I welcome corrections from someone with better statistical information, but preferably in another thread so as not to clutter up this one.)

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
                        Anyway, I have two questions in this vein:

First, if you can't get into the Heptagram, is Pasiap's Stair considered a viable second choice despite its lesser status? (Pasiap's Stair is the only non-Heptagram secondary school specifically called out as having a sorcery track, albeit one that's battle-magic focused. But maybe you want that if you're a Cathak or Sesus.)
                        The Heptagram's low enrollment stems from the small number of potential students who have both the aptitude and a family that's interested in training their child as a sorcerer. They aren't actively turning away potential sorcerers to deliberately keep their enrollment down.

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
                        Secondly, do the Sidereal faculty at the Heptagram still sorcerously enjoin their students from being able to talk about their Sidereal-ness, or given the fact that Sidereals are not Anathema anymore and that at least some people know they exist and uphold the Realm, do they just not care?
                        There isn't any active effort by Sidereals to share their identities with Heptagram students, so such precautions aren't necessary. And there isn't a significant long-term Sidereal presence there in any event; they're sufficiently few in number that they can't afford to dedicate several operatives to training Realm students in sorcery.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Robert Vance Thanks!

Comment

• Would you say that Sidereals turning up at the Heptagram is relatively unremarked upon because it's not uncommon for them to feature guest lecturers of mysterious providence, and they kind of disappear into the mix?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Are we likely to see many (or any) new Charms in the Dragon-Blooded companion PDF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Phoenix_Kensai View Post
                                Are we likely to see many (or any) new Charms in the Dragon-Blooded companion PDF?
                                We've hit a stretch goal that adds Charms to it, plus whatever custom Charms backers add.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X