Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you kindly for the response, Eric. I imagine this has been a very big month for you, community-relations wise. You and Robert and Stephen have been very available and very patient with all of us amateur social scientists who want this that and the other thing.

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
    It's probably closer to ten per year?
    Ah, I see. You're highballing "few." That's fair!

(I have a whole rant about how maddeningly imprecise that word is; the TLDR version is "for some people it means less than ten, for some people any more than three and you're no longer 'a few.'" It's nobodies fault but it can be annoying.)

Not a lot, but consider that there aren't a lot of students in any of the four great secondary schools. 10,000-ish Dragon-Blooded Dynasts spread across all ages means something like a thousand secondary school students at any one time. So you're only going to have an annual enrollment of, what, a couple of hundred students? in all secondary schools combined. So the Heptagram is very exclusive, but only by one order of magnitude.

(This is off the cuff, so my numbers above are ballpark at the very best; I welcome corrections from someone with better statistical information, but preferably in another thread so as not to clutter up this one.)
    I'll spare you the numbers, but I can say this agrees with my own back-of-the-envelope math.

Additional secondary school questions while the topic is raised, if i may...

1) I have been assuming that those who Exalt in their later teens are still welcome to enroll as freshmen. That is, every year the secondary schools are going to have a new crop of fifteen-year-olds but with a non-trivial number of sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen year olds in the mix, who will be taking the same courses and are part of the same cohort. You won't be turned down as "too old" just because your Exaltation spent some additional time in the oven. Is this correct?

2) Which secondary school or schools have the highest proportions of un-Exalted Dynasts accepted? I usually assume Spiral Academy but I can see an argument for Cloister of Wisdom.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

• I don't know if this has been asked already, as this is a rather dense thread, but this question just occurred to me.

Will we see any information on the Elemental Dragons themselves for 3E (in contrast to the idealized Immaculate Dragons), or possibly any lesser dragons?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aredin View Post
        I don't know if this has been asked already, as this is a rather dense thread, but this question just occurred to me.

Will we see any information on the Elemental Dragons themselves for 3E (in contrast to the idealized Immaculate Dragons), or possibly any lesser dragons?
        You'll almost certainly see information on lesser elemental dragons (beyond Fakharu, who's in the core). Probably won't see much more about the Five Elemental Dragons.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
          Could Solars have a version of Passion-Inflaming Artistry, or would that lead into the dangerous realm of getting 40 successes on a social roll?
          It would need a different mechanical implementation, for the reasons you identify, but they could get Charms that play in that space.

How would you handle someone wanting to just make an entirely mundane sculpture that was beautiful enough to provoke enough emotion to act like an Inspire action on those who see it? Would they roll separately for the crafting and the inspiring? Can you just not do that without a specific charm? Is that just subsumed into the ST fiat that the craft outcomes are part of?
          There's no basis for it in the system. The player of a character is always free to declare their character is emotionally affected by a piece of artwork.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Can we get a sidebar type thing on how the Houses react when a Dynast exalts as something other than Dragon-Blooded? Is a House stigmatized for spawning an Anathema? What about a Sidereal/Exigent?

Comment

• Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
              Thank you kindly for the response, Eric. I imagine this has been a very big month for you, community-relations wise. You and Robert and Stephen have been very available and very patient with all of us amateur social scientists who want this that and the other thing.
              That's what we're here for!

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
              1) I have been assuming that those who Exalt in their later teens are still welcome to enroll as freshmen. That is, every year the secondary schools are going to have a new crop of fifteen-year-olds but with a non-trivial number of sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen year olds in the mix, who will be taking the same courses and are part of the same cohort. You won't be turned down as "too old" just because your Exaltation spent some additional time in the oven. Is this correct?
              Such students would typically attend one of the lesser secondary schools for patricians and un-Exalted Dynasts, and transfer in to one of the four great secondary schools after Exaltation.

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post
              2) Which secondary school or schools have the highest proportions of un-Exalted Dynasts accepted? I usually assume Spiral Academy but I can see an argument for Cloister of Wisdom.
              I figure it's the Spiral Academy and the House of Bells, due to wealthy and prestigious patrician families with longstanding bureaucratic and military traditions paying the necessary price to get their most talented mortal scions into those institutions. I'm not sure if the Cloister even accepts mortal students at all; they can't master their Essence, and a school built on Immaculate principles seems unlikely to look favorably upon mortal students who seek to show themselves equal to the school's Dragon-Blooded student body.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Page 25 of the core - and one of the new DB Craft Charms in the manuscript preview released yesterday - says that Creation turns around the axis of the Pole of Earth. How does that work with the stars and sun on a flat world?

Host of The Deliberative Podcast
                Owner/Admin of DeepWyld.com
                Original Creator of the complete nWoD conversion of Fantasy Grounds 2

Comment

• Originally posted by PneumaPilot View Post
                  Page 25 of the core - and one of the new DB Craft Charms in the manuscript preview released yesterday - says that Creation turns around the axis of the Pole of Earth. How does that work with the stars and sun on a flat world?
                  That's metaphorical; the world is full of dynamism and change, while the Pole of Earth is fixed and unchanging. It does not indicate actual physical rotation.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Hey guys, just wanted to add my appreciation for the new book. I had been about to take a little break from running Exalted, but from the moment I read the first excerpt I've been completely re-energized about the game.

My question: What sort of environmental/situational penalties are applied to your static Defense values. There are several Dragon-Blood charms that seem to work off the assumption that penalties are applied there. Is it just the table in the corebook. Would darkness apply? Robert, I remember you answered a question for me a while back that seemed to indicate that blindness wouldn't effect your Defense. Is that still accurate?

Comment

• Originally posted by marin View Post

Eric means a few dozen at any given time, so you could go ahead and do it.
                      Ah, okay, I missread.

If we do the High School game (we are waiting for our Mage: the Ascension game to finish, although we are in our last arc) I will do it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
                        Hey guys, just wanted to add my appreciation for the new book. I had been about to take a little break from running Exalted, but from the moment I read the first excerpt I've been completely re-energized about the game.
                        Thanks!

My question: What sort of environmental/situational penalties are applied to your static Defense values. There are several Dragon-Blood charms that seem to work off the assumption that penalties are applied there. Is it just the table in the corebook.
                        There's not a codified listing, just what the Storyteller adjudicates. "You're trying to dodge attacks while standing knee-deep in quicksand? Okay, that sounds like a minus so-and-so penalty to me."

Would darkness apply? Robert, I remember you answered a question for me a while back that seemed to indicate that blindness wouldn't effect your Defense. Is that still accurate?
                        Yep, I'm told that's what the original developers intended.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                          For superior and legendary projects, does Ephemeral Form Composition apply to just one interval or all intervals of the affected project?
                          All intervals.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Measure of Hope View Post
                            I'm loving the kickstarter previews. The book continues the trend of seeding intriguing story hooks left, right, and centre, which I really appreciate. I love that Dragonbloods can now perform trivial feats of elemental manipulation as an anima ability, and I'm already thinking of ways to incorporate that into stunts (sending a chill breeze racing up someone's spine as you roll to intimidate them, for instance). The chapter fictions are great. Amazing job, guys.
                            Thanks!

My reading of the latest DB:WFHW preview is that a Charm isn't in-Aspect for the purpose of xp cost simply by virtue of having the matching elemental keyword. So, for instance, a Fire Aspect who didn't choose Archery as Favoured pays full price for Boughs of Burning Autumn. Is this correct?
                            Correct. Basically, when determining whether a Charm gets the Aspect/Favored discount, it's the Ability that matters, not the element.

Dragonbloods don't get free excellencies. If I wanted a quick hack to make them more viable as PCs in a mixed game, would changing this so they get bonus excellencies be a good way to do that, or are the additional benefits of those Charms powerful enough that you wouldn't recommend it?
                            If you want to power them up, I'd recommend giving them only a limited number of free Excellencies, unlike Solars, who can pretty trivially start with ten. Each Dragon-Blooded Excellency has a little bit more added on to it, so that'd basically be starting them with 25 Charms.

Given that Sidereals are the subtlest of Exalts, it's always struck me as odd that Sidereals didn't get Elsewhere-storage Charms when most other Exalt-types did. Is that likely to change this edition? If not conceptual-elsewhere, do you intend to give Sidereals another cool way to avoid scrutiny for carrying around their panoply?
                            I suspect they'll have something.

Does anything break if Wyld Shaping Technique is house-ruled to return wasted xp from a failed WST attempt? Say, at the end of the current story, to avoid players spamming it when they fail? It just seems incredibly punitive compared to other xp-cost Charms and effects which all refund their cost if the investment is destroyed or becomes irrelevant.
                            The net impact of that change is probably going to be that players are going to be more willing to turn to Wyld Shaping, and more likely to attempt shaping things they don't have great odds of succeeding on. I don't think that will cause major breakage.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Does anything break if Dragon-Blooded PCs get to take one Signature Charm when they’re still at Essence 2 to reflect being prodigies?

I ask because I don’t want to start at Essence 3, but I also don’t want to completely gate off the coolest toys, so a I thought having the trade off of getting to pick only one of them for early access might strike the right balance - but I don’t know if i’m missing any major traps here i’m not forseeing.
                              Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-11-2018, 05:07 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Are Shields considered Appropriate Cover for the Take Cover action, and if so, would they count as Light or Heavy?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                                X