This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
    A question that just recently crossed my mind. Will the Mountain Folk appear or be mentioned in 3e at some point?
    They'll get a passing mention in The Realm, but I expect it will be a while before we'll have an opportunity to give them more substantial coverage.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

They'll get a passing mention in The Realm, but I expect it will be a while before we'll have an opportunity to give them more substantial coverage.
      Good to know! It literally just hit me then that I didn't recall them being mentioned in the 3e core and wondered what their disposition would be. XD

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

• I've noticed that, between the 5-dot artifact weapons we've seen, Volcano Cutter and Stormcaller seem to be focused around an idea of "Dangerously powerful"--even harming the wielders allies in big, almost completely uncontrolled displays of power, while Black Wind seems to be very focused on being overwhelmingly good at the one task of hunting down and killing murderers.

Is this focus on wild destructive power versus exceptional focus on a single task a purposeful design paradigm for 5-dot artifact weapons, or just a coincidence from the few examples we have?

Comment

• Forgot to ask something about Heart-Eclipsing Shroud in my last bout of questions about that tree. The final text says "Motes spent activating this effect are not committed: reverting to her true Intimacies or changing to another persona requires that she use the Charm again." When you get up to "Hundred-Faced Stranger" you now have the potential of losing access to that Charm if your persona is not a social savant. Was it the intention to require Socialize 5 in all these personas lest they lose access to the ability to get out of this form or was it intended that this Charm was always available to every persona regardless of their Socialize score.

Comment

• I have a question about Stealth and the Unexpected attack rules. I might be overthinking it, but I want to check.

Originally posted by Ex3 pg 203
            An ambush is defined as an attack against a target completely unaware of the attacker’s presence—generally only possible during the first round of a fight, against a target with a lower Initiative value than the attacker. An ambush attack completely ignores the target’s Defense; the target is considered to have Defense 0 against the attack.

A surprise attack, on the other hand, is an attack launched from hiding against an opponent who knows he’s in battle and who is actively on the lookout for attacks, even if he isn’t sure exactly where all of his opponents are at the moment. A target faced with a surprise attack suffers a -2 Defense penalty against that attack.
            Emphasis mine.

The first paragraph reads to me like a character can be in a big, active fight, and even have begun spending motes and such on defense, and get ambushed. The second paragraph implies a character must not know they are in combat for an attack to be an ambush.

Which is it?

Comment

• Are smashfists and other brawl weapons generally compatible with charms/evocations that enhance unarmed attacks?

I really hope that "No" results from an overly pedantic reading.
              Last edited by mizzlfoshizzl; 04-16-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mizzlfoshizzl View Post
                Are smashfists and other brawl weapons generally compatible with charms/evocations that enhance unarmed attacks?

I really hope my ST is just being overly pedantic...
                Having a gauntlet made of god-metal is definitely not unarmed.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Speaking of, will Arms of the Chosen see the return of the God-Kicking Boot?

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Comment

• Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
                    Speaking of, will Arms of the Chosen see the return of the God-Kicking Boot?
                    God-Kicking Boots made more sense in previous editions, when kicks were mechanically distinct from punches. I spent some time trying to work up a pair of god-kicking boots for Arms but was ultimately unsatisfied with the results.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

God-Kicking Boots made more sense in previous editions, when kicks were mechanically distinct from punches. I spent some time trying to work up a pair of god-kicking boots for Arms but was ultimately unsatisfied with the results.
                      That's fair. Wouldn't be too hard for an ST to extrapolate base artifact weapon stats for them if they wanted to include 'em, at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        Having a gauntlet made of god-metal is definitely not unarmed.
                        Should we assume (e.g. when homebrewing) that outside of the specific Martial Arts that allow it, we're not supposed to be making unarmed attacks with Artifact traits? I've been unclear to what extent this is a balance thing and to what extent it's just a "we haven't gotten around to printing ways to do that yet" thing.

edit to add: this is less about those Brawl charms that buff unarmed attacks and more about doing Martial Arts; should we take as read that if we want to combine two martial arts with no common form weapons except unarmed attacks, we're accepting the drawback of having smaller base weapon stats?
                        Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 04-16-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• A small question that I realised probably wouldn't be answered for ages otherwise:
                          In 3rd ed, can ghosts still use Martial Arts after they die?
                          And can they cast spells, or is it Nephrwack-only like in 2nd ed? (Obviously the Nephwrack in the Core can use spells)

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by VoxPVoxD View Post
                            Should we assume (e.g. when homebrewing) that outside of the specific Martial Arts that allow it, we're not supposed to be making unarmed attacks with Artifact traits? I've been unclear to what extent this is a balance thing and to what extent it's just a "we haven't gotten around to printing ways to do that yet" thing.

edit to add: this is less about those Brawl charms that buff unarmed attacks and more about doing Martial Arts; should we take as read that if we want to combine two martial arts with no common form weapons except unarmed attacks, we're accepting the drawback of having smaller base weapon stats?
                            Yes. Very much yes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Yes. Very much yes.
                              Cool, my group'll appreciate the clarification. Minor followup: is it okay to assume the existence of Artifact versions of Martial Arts form weapons that don't have specific writeups in the corebook?

edit: second followup: do the reflexive Brawl charms that augment unarmed attacks work with barehanded Martial Arts?
                              Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 04-16-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Yes. Very much yes.

Well there goes my idea for Perfected Kata Bracers.

I have created a character creation tool. The thread talking about the tool can be found here.

I like the Mesoamerican look.

Comment

Working...
                                X