This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wern212 View Post
    Would it be appropriate to penalize characters attempting to parry flying boulders?
    The Storyteller can do that, sure.

If a penalty would be appropriate, how big would you make it?
    I probably wouldn't go over -3, and even then, that seems kinda high.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Electro View Post
      Our Socialize Supernal has found her self in a bit of a pickle! Soul Reprisal specifies that the Solar replaces all her current Abilities, Charms and Intimacies when she uses it, but it doesn't say anything about XP. Does outgoing persona retain its XP? Does this mean she effectively loses the difference in XP between her persona and her normal self? If so, what if she loses enough XP to put her below an Essence threshold?
      Your XP stays the same.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
        What rating is the Emerald Thurible?
        It's a 5-dot.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
          If I an using Lone Spark Lights the Conflagration(golden Janissary Style) and activate its mastery effect how does this interact with Disengaging? If I am surrounded by 20 blood apes and they are all around me in various range bands within medium range do I have to make a new disengage going from ape to ape over and over again and if I fail can I no longer move to attack my enemies within medium range as described by the charm?
          The need to disengage only applies to the standard move action taken on your turn, not any reflexive movement granted by Charms.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Single-handedly wrestling kaiju and warstriders is a bit beyond them.
            Would some form of cooperatively grappling enemies with Legendary Size be within Dragon-Blooded design space?

Comment

• Originally posted by autXautY View Post

Would some form of cooperatively grappling enemies with Legendary Size be within Dragon-Blooded design space?
              I could see it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                Because some things, like warstriders and airships, can only be created with First Age artifice.
                (I'm a bit slow)
                Will there be further expansion/explanations to the rules regarding this?
                Like, it's obvious that you're referring to specific things in the setting, but what about things that are functionally similar but are thematically different. Like rather than an airship, something like a normal sailing ship that flies with a hotair balloon? Or a giant flying carpet. Or if rather than a giant robot suit of armor, it's a giant claydoll ya person sits inside the head doing a special form of meditating and katas to control?

I'm really not trying to be pedantic.=>_<= It just feels really vague.

Comment

• I apologize if you're getting tired of questions like this, but how far out do you see doing a book on gods, spirits, and elementals? We've got the Immaculate styles to wallop wayward gods with, now we just need a bigger selection!

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amine Hsu View Post

(I'm a bit slow)
                    Will there be further expansion/explanations to the rules regarding this?
                    Like, it's obvious that you're referring to specific things in the setting, but what about things that are functionally similar but are thematically different. Like rather than an airship, something like a normal sailing ship that flies with a hotair balloon? Or a giant flying carpet. Or if rather than a giant robot suit of armor, it's a giant claydoll ya person sits inside the head doing a special form of meditating and katas to control?

I'm really not trying to be pedantic.=>_<= It just feels really vague.
                    First Age Artifice has nothing to do with theme; it isn't "the magitech craft ability." Whether an artifact needs to be built and maintained using First Age Artifice is based solely on what it does, not on how it's themed. A giant flying carpet that functions similarly to an airship, or a giant clay figure that functions similarly to a warstrider, would still require First Age Artifice, while a suit of magitech powered armor that mechanically functions like normal artifact armor wouldn't require First Age Artifice.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
                      I apologize if you're getting tired of questions like this, but how far out do you see doing a book on gods, spirits, and elementals? We've got the Immaculate styles to wallop wayward gods with, now we just need a bigger selection!
                      We've been writing up the pitch for such a book, and we hope to fit it in between Exigents and Sidereals if the schedule allows.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Robert Vance

Hey Vance, the unveiling of White Veil is bringing up some questions. I know you already answered in part, but it still hasn't made things clear. I didn't want to press for further details, but the discussion in another thread has progressed and the questions became more pressing. So if you can shed some light on this we appreciate it;

Unexpected Attacks:

Ambush seems to be based on the opponent being aware of you or not. A straight reading seems to say that as long as they are unaware of you and yo have greater initiative than them, the unexpected attack is an ambush.

Two situations:

1. I successfully stealthed, and no opponent is aware of me. I roll 10 on join battle, opponent rolls 12, he does a decisive attack against someone else and is now at initiative 3. I attack him on my turn, he is unaware of me, my initiative is greater and this is the first round. Is this attack an ambush or a surprise attack?

2. Similar situation, but on the first round the opponent does withering attack and I delay until my turn passes. On the second round he does a decisive attack and resets to base and I decide to attack him. He is completely unaware of me, my initiative is greater, but it is now the second round. Is this an ambush or surprise attack?

Now for a bit more clarification;

Surprise Attacks seems to say that while you if you know the opponent is somewhere, then it is not an ambush anymore, but a surprise attack. This seems to imply that even though they may not know where an opponent is, they must know that he is, as an distinct opponent.

If this reading is right why does an undetected attacker who performed undetected attacks not be capable of keep ambushing people? This is not only for stealthed Birdsong over Blades, but for similar effects, like Killing Shroud Technique, which says that the attack itself is undetectable and if you incapacitate your target while under the Charm's effect, it is undetected.

And if its not about knowing about a specific attacker, but general hostility, why does making people forget about specifically you with Mind Shroud Meditation let you ambush people mid-battle?

I know this may seem a bit knitpicky, but these mechanics are very powerful, and being clear on them is important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

First Age Artifice has nothing to do with theme; it isn't "the magitech craft ability." Whether an artifact needs to be built and maintained using First Age Artifice is based solely on what it does, not on how it's themed. A giant flying carpet that functions similarly to an airship, or a giant clay figure that functions similarly to a warstrider, would still require First Age Artifice, while a suit of magitech powered armor that mechanically functions like normal artifact armor wouldn't require First Age Artifice.
                          This is a distinction that makes sense in the face of things like the Golden Viper, but feels as though it could have been clearer in the original description.

​I also feel as though it may contradict the answer to a question that I once asked Vance about different methods of making an artificial intelligence, but I'd need to look back at precisely what was asked and answered.

​EDIT: Actually, never mind that second sentence; I had asked about differences between regular and First Age Artifice at N/A, and he gave an example of an intelligence governing a paradise city as the latter. That's fairly clear.
                          Last edited by Isator Levi; 05-05-2018, 06:16 PM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                            1. I successfully stealthed, and no opponent is aware of me. I roll 10 on join battle, opponent rolls 12, he does a decisive attack against someone else and is now at initiative 3. I attack him on my turn, he is unaware of me, my initiative is greater and this is the first round. Is this attack an ambush or a surprise attack?
                            Ambush. The mechanic cares about your Initiative at the time you attack, not the result of your Join Battle roll.

2. Similar situation, but on the first round the opponent does withering attack and I delay until my turn passes. On the second round he does a decisive attack and resets to base and I decide to attack him. He is completely unaware of me, my initiative is greater, but it is now the second round. Is this an ambush or surprise attack?
                            Surprise attack. Without something to let you ambush outside the first round, you're not ambushing.

Surprise Attacks seems to say that while you if you know the opponent is somewhere, then it is not an ambush anymore, but a surprise attack. This seems to imply that even though they may not know where an opponent is, they must know that he is, as an distinct opponent.
                            It's not about their knowledge of the ambusher as a specific combatant.

And if its not about knowing about a specific attacker, but general hostility, why does making people forget about specifically you with Mind Shroud Meditation let you ambush people mid-battle?
                            Because that's how the Charm works.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

We've been writing up the pitch for such a book, and we hope to fit it in between Exigents and Sidereals if the schedule allows.
                              Does that mean Sidereal are going to be the 5th type released or am I reading way too much into them being the splat mentioned here?

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizu View Post

Does that mean Sidereal are going to be the 5th type released or am I reading way too much into them being the splat mentioned here?
                                That's our current intention, but it's far enough down the line that its placement in the schedule isn't set in stone.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X