This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

Does this imply that Exigents would be accepted into such schools? What criteria would allow this in the Realm?
    I was thinking Exigent staff, not students. That's not to say they couldn't be accepted into one of them, but it'd definitely be an aberration.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
      Just re-read the spell Silent Words of Dreams and Nightmares - am I correct to assume that you get precisely one instill action (with Int + Presence) from the spell? Or do you role play an entire dream, during which you get as many influence actions as seems appropriate?
      I tend towards the former interpretation because I read it as the entire dream being basically one instill action, though one could argue that a sorcerer appearing as herself in the dream would be able to "fire off" multiple instill actions.
      It's the former.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        I was thinking Exigent staff, not students. That's not to say they couldn't be accepted into one of them, but it'd definitely be an aberration.
        I suppose my surprised-question stands with that expectation as well, if even moreso. I'm surprised that the Realm would allow an Exalt raised by a God (seems pretty outside the Doctrine to me) to teach the Children of the Dragons.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Fluttering Cry of Warning's mastery effect allows for reflexive, off-turn activations to Defend Other, but I'm not certain what restrictions there are on when a Crane stylist can activate the Charm. Which, if any of these, are valid? [For clarity, I'm using "attacker" and "defender" to refer to how the attack would play out without the Crane stylist's intervention.]

A) Before a triggering attack is declared.
          B) After a triggering attack is declared.
          C) After the attacker's charms are declared.
          D) After the defender's charms are declared.

A seems underpowered for a mastery effect. [EDIT: whoops, I seem to have misread this Charm somewhat. I still think this option might be underpowered, though]
          B is how we've been running it at our table, but still seems ludicrously strong.
          C seems cheesy, overpowered, and not really in keeping with the spirit of the Charm
          D has no possible benefit that I can think of, but I included it for the sake of completeness.
          Last edited by Catastronaut; 05-10-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Alright, so... I guess then what kind of powers do a god-blooded get? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere in 3e.

Also, in regards to fauna and magical aspects; is it always considered magical in nature if a creature can do something to the extent of breathing fire or shocking with electricity or are those not necessarily magic in nature? Asking since we have electric eels in the actual world, and some animals who spit very hot or corrosive substances (usually insects), so would it require it to be completely magical in nature for any of those traits to be taken up a level? Just in general, what makes an animal an animal in the weird world of exalted, and what makes it inherently magical?
            Last edited by ReshyShira; 05-10-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Do you recall who wrote what in What Fire Has Wrought? I assume the sorcery is Vancian as ever, but I understand freelancers wrote some of the chapter fiction?

But sexually.

Comment

• Are liminals attribute-based exalts? What about getis? Are getiminians better at taking a punch than sids, or are they tied for most fragile celestial exalt?

Comment

• Another question came to mind: Does a Lunar's Hybrid Body also gain the special attacks/merits of the form they turn into, or is it limited to what can be expressed through released mutations?

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                    Another question came to mind: Does a Lunar's Hybrid Body also gain the special attacks/merits of the form they turn into, or is it limited to what can be expressed through released mutations?
                    If you want an animal's special attacks, you've gotta actually use its form.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Lidless Eye That Sees View Post
                      Are liminals attribute-based exalts?
                      Yep.

What about getis?
                      They may be, if my current idea for them doesn't pan out.

Are getiminians better at taking a punch than sids, or are they tied for most fragile celestial exalt?
                      To the extent that they are, it'll be counterbalanced by other trade-offs.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                        Do you recall who wrote what in What Fire Has Wrought? I assume the sorcery is Vancian as ever, but I understand freelancers wrote some of the chapter fiction?
                        Yes, but we've got a standing policy of not naming who wrote what without the author in question's permission.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                          Alright, so... I guess then what kind of powers do a god-blooded get? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere in 3e.
                          Most are going to have only benefits that can be reflected by Supernatural Merits, but the most powerful can have Charms of their own. An example of the latter is coming up in the monthly Adversaries of the Righteous releases.

Also, in regards to fauna and magical aspects; is it always considered magical in nature if a creature can do something to the extent of breathing fire or shocking with electricity or are those not necessarily magic in nature? Asking since we have electric eels in the actual world, and some animals who spit very hot or corrosive substances (usually insects), so would it require it to be completely magical in nature for any of those traits to be taken up a level? Just in general, what makes an animal an animal in the weird world of exalted, and what makes it inherently magical?
                          I could feasibly see bioelectricity being non-magical, but breathing fire is always going magic. The rule of thumb I use for separating weird fictional animals from magical creatures is to ask whether this could have feasibly existed during some lost age on prehistoric Earth. If it could, it's probably fine as an animal; if it couldn't, odds are we're talking something magical.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Catastronaut View Post
                            Fluttering Cry of Warning's mastery effect allows for reflexive, off-turn activations to Defend Other, but I'm not certain what restrictions there are on when a Crane stylist can activate the Charm. Which, if any of these, are valid? [For clarity, I'm using "attacker" and "defender" to refer to how the attack would play out without the Crane stylist's intervention.]

A) Before a triggering attack is declared.
                            B) After a triggering attack is declared.
                            C) After the attacker's charms are declared.
                            D) After the defender's charms are declared.

A seems underpowered for a mastery effect. [EDIT: whoops, I seem to have misread this Charm somewhat. I still think this option might be underpowered, though]
                            B is how we've been running it at our table, but still seems ludicrously strong.
                            C seems cheesy, overpowered, and not really in keeping with the spirit of the Charm
                            D has no possible benefit that I can think of, but I included it for the sake of completeness.
                            It works like any other defensive Charm - you activate it after the attacker declares the attack and the Charms enhancing it, but before they roll.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                              Do you recall who wrote what in What Fire Has Wrought? I assume the sorcery is Vancian as ever, but I understand freelancers wrote some of the chapter fiction?
                              We prefer to leave it to freelancers to acknowledge their own work (or not). I'd like to think they're all proud of their work, because I think the writing team has been doing a great job! But it's not my place to make that decision for them.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Vance.
                              Last edited by Eric Minton; 05-11-2018, 10:43 AM.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Hello Robert Vance !

There is some confusion going around about about when Anima Flux applies it's damage. The book says;

"At the bonfire level, she rolls one die of withering damage against all non-Dragon-Blooded characters within close range of her (including allies) at the start of each turn."

At the start of who's turn? Everyone's (each turn implies all of them, no?)? The flaring DB's?

Thanks for clarifying this, and maybe this is one is worth clarifying in the book as well.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                X