Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry if this question has been asked (but I could not find anything in the thread about it)

The two DB charms Vibrating Strings Defense and Three-String Prana each create an attack that can be made out to medium range.
    Are these still restricted by the "must make an aim action before making an attack out to medium+ range"-rule?

Comment

• I'm pretty damn sure Vance has said that charms that grant ranged attacks to normally non-ranged abilities don't need to aim, but I can't find the actual quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kim View Post
        Sorry if this question has been asked (but I could not find anything in the thread about it)

The two DB charms Vibrating Strings Defense and Three-String Prana each create an attack that can be made out to medium range.
        Are these still restricted by the "must make an aim action before making an attack out to medium+ range"-rule?
        Per the sidebar on page 260, they are not.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
          So sounds like quite powerful effects, are these things sorcery can do to an exalt?
          Sorcery could do that, yeah. Raksha Charms are another big source of them.

How does one mess with an exalt's soul anyway due to that exaltation being in there?
          Soul-warping is probably the least common—not because of anything to do with Exaltation, but because it's harder to come up with effects that would make sense as that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            So, no breaking down the weapons and armor of a Wyld Hunt to make something new like Vengeant, or cannibalizing a storied Dynastic warstrider to make your own titan of the battlefield?

Or at least, no more reward for doing so than others enjoy?
            That's just a thing you do when describing where you come up with the raw materials for an artifact, not a Charm.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              Soul-warping is probably the least common—not because of anything to do with Exaltation, but because it's harder to come up with effects that would make sense as that.
              Does Soul Mastery count?

Comment

• Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post

Does Soul Mastery count?
                Nah. 10char

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Probably War. Larceny, if you're cheating.
                  Since Kes isn’t a military strategist, can we assume he’s found a non-conventional way to play applying pure mathematics (Lore), to the frustration of traditional players?
                  Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-18-2018, 12:33 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Three things to note: The War excellency adds dice, the Lore excellency adds successes, and Kes can add successes to his gateway pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Since Kes isn’t a military strategist, can we assume he’s found a non-conventional way to play applying pre mathematics (Lore), to the frustration of traditional players?
                      Rolling Lore to play a game seems like a reasonable approach at the table, and wouldn't require a Charm or special technique. While Attributes and Abilities are presented as wholly discrete things on a character sheet for purposes of game mechanics, that doesn't make them wholly discrete things in the setting any more than they are in real life.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

That's just a thing you do when describing where you come up with the raw materials for an artifact, not a Charm.
                        Do you mean it is not a Lunar Charm, or that it would not be an appropriate crafting Charm for anyone, given the balance of the crafting system?

Because striking someone multiple times in one turn would only be a way to describe a single attack action, but there’s also Hammer On Iron Technique to let me do it in a way that mechanically rewards that description.

Charms let you fulfill certain story beats in a stronger way. Someone in Creation could theoretically have a Charm that helps them craft new artifacts better when they are breaking down existing artifacts to do so.

But I can see how, as an Exalted Charm, that might introduce a crunchiness to “exotic ingredients” that you specifically want to avoid, as a way to steer clear of the similar problems as plagued Second Edition’s demon-cannibalizing Helltech.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

Rolling Lore to play a game seems like a reasonable approach at the table, and wouldn't require a Charm or special technique. While Attributes and Abilities are presented as wholly discrete things on a character sheet for purposes of game mechanics, that doesn't make them wholly discrete things in the setting any more than they are in real life.
                          Does it fit Kes’ character to play the opponent as much or more than the game? With his Socialize Ability helping him to read their minds and predict their moves?

I remember the comic about the one time he played a game with Mnenom and completely turned the conversation around on her, defeating her in her mind and turning the music of her summoned demon harpist against her.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Since Kes isn’t a military strategist, can we assume he’s found a non-conventional way to play applying pre mathematics (Lore), to the frustration of traditional players?
                            oh right Kes, whoops.

Eric is wise.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                              Do you mean it is not a Lunar Charm, or that it would not be an appropriate crafting Charm for anyone, given the balance of the crafting system?

Because striking someone multiple times in one turn would only be a way to describe a single attack action, but there’s also Hammer On Iron Technique to let me do it in a way that mechanically rewards that description.

Charms let you fulfill certain story beats in a stronger way. Someone in Creation could theoretically have a Charm that helps them craft new artifacts better when they are breaking down existing artifacts to do so.

But I can see how, as an Exalted Charm, that might introduce a crunchiness to “exotic ingredients” that you specifically want to avoid, as a way to steer clear of the similar problems as plagued Second Edition’s demon-cannibalizing Helltech.
                              If it's a Charm for anyone, it's not Lunars. I'm not sure who'd get it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• [Solar] Charms have minimums: Ability and Essence requirements. They also have costs: costs in motes of Essence; Essence which is the purest and most absolute form of the Solar’s being—her skills, her physical attributes, her memories, her emotions, her very existence—and which she must draw from in order to fuel her supernal actions. [Solar] Charms are derived constantly and always from the Solar’s personal Abilities and her living Essence.

This chapter deals with the Charms of the Solar Exalted—great manifestations of supernal excellence, divine might, and impossible prowess.
                                Each Terrestrial Charm is an expression of elemental power channeled through the Dragon-Blood’s superhuman mastery of an Ability.
                                Can you share with us ahead of time how the nature of Lunar Charms will be described?

The source of Solar Charm's seems to be a Solar's whole existence, channeled through a superhuman mastery of an Ability. Obviously, there's more of their own human strengths involved, rather than the inherited power of five elemental forces.

I naturally assume the channel for the Lunar Charms are their Attributes, but does the narrative description of their power source differ from that of the Solar Exalted, and how?
                                Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 05-18-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X