This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    So, I was just looking at Titanic Fist Devastation (Weapons of the Chosen p. 29). If it does 3+ levels of damage, you can reflexively use Mammoth Slam Quake, waiving its Willpower cost.

Mammoth Slam Quake doesn't cost any Willpower, though -- only motes and charges. Should that be "waiving its mote cost" or something?
    That's an editing artifact—it just lets you use Mammoth Slam Quake reflexively.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      No. Lunars who use Martial Arts or Evocations are losing access to, or at least putting obstacles in the way of other sources of power in their Charms (animal shapeshifting and Deadly Beastman Transformation, respectively).
      A part of the Lunar play experience seems to be doing just one thing at a time, but doing that one thing extremely powerfully, and with the ability to do something completely different a moment later.

Does that seem like a fair assessment?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• How are charms like Ready in Eight Directions Stance meant to be used?

It seems like if you accept system transparency as something that applies equally to PCs and NPCs, then no one would ever attack into a player using the charm. So it functions more as a charm that says "do not attack me this turn." However, someone buying RieDS wants to be able to do what the charm sells you - being a counterattacking god - and would probably be pretty unsatisfied by that.

I ask because there was a pretty interesting discussion about this topic on the exalted discord. Some people argued that system transparency meant that a player would never attack an NPC using this and vice versa, while others saying no, that's silly, that defeats the reason I bought the charm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          A part of the Lunar play experience seems to be doing just one thing at a time, but doing that one thing extremely powerfully, and with the ability to do something completely different a moment later.

Does that seem like a fair assessment?
          I think that's misleading—put a Lunar armed with a sword and a longbow up against a Solar with the same loadout, and the Lunar's gonna look much more versatile, because she can use her Strength and Dexterity Charms with both of those.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• How will a Lunar claim territory, and is it something that you can add charms onto to enhance your territory?

Comment

• Originally posted by putty View Post
              How are charms like Ready in Eight Directions Stance meant to be used?

It seems like if you accept system transparency as something that applies equally to PCs and NPCs, then no one would ever attack into a player using the charm. So it functions more as a charm that says "do not attack me this turn." However, someone buying RieDS wants to be able to do what the charm sells you - being a counterattacking god - and would probably be pretty unsatisfied by that.

I ask because there was a pretty interesting discussion about this topic on the exalted discord. Some people argued that system transparency meant that a player would never attack an NPC using this and vice versa, while others saying no, that's silly, that defeats the reason I bought the charm.
              I didn't write it, so I can't really speak to intent. I can say that if I was building a character around it, I'd be using stuff like Peony Blossom Attack to make attacks reflexively outside my turn, which doesn't really leave my enemies with the choice to let me use a round-long perfect defense every turn.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                How will a Lunar claim territory,
                With Charms.

and is it something that you can add charms onto to enhance your territory?
                There's a lot of fun stuff you'll be able to do with your territory.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I didn't write it, so I can't really speak to intent. I can say that if I was building a character around it, I'd be using stuff like Peony Blossom Attack to make attacks reflexively outside my turn, which doesn't really leave my enemies with the choice to let me use a round-long perfect defense every turn.
                  this raised some other questions for me, so i may as well ask:

1. When the book talks about system transparency, it mentions your character knows in-character what sort of dice pool theyre facing, and that the other person has used a charm. Though, leaving aside the obvious parts about charms that are not meant to be obvious at all and would completely break down if they did so (for instance, you attempt to pierce a disguise, but get told its perfect, which tells you that the person must be a solar exalt despite your character obviously believing them to be completely undisguised and charmless), how much does this really impart? Does your enemy know you have activated ready in eight directions stance? Does he know that every single attack against you results in a counter-attack that does not reset you to base init?

2. On the flipside of this, say an abyssal uses Ready In Eight Skeletons Stance or whatever bone-based equivalent they have of this charm. Obviously it's declared in the open, so does this mean the PCs have to pretend they don't know what the charm does? Is it cheating and metagaming to say "well I dont want to take a full init counter-attack so I won't suicidally jump into one"?

3. Given that total transparency already exists for the GM, as they're the GM, and the only difference in Exalted from other systems is that players are also given a look behind the curtain as it were, are any of the following true: NPCs in Exalted are allowed to game the system as much as a PC is; PCs in Exalted are expected to take wrong decisions that they do not want to, or be guilty of Metagaming, Cheating and other such accusations; PCs and NPCs in Exalted are not equivalent when it comes to the expectations placed on them for their actions, and what is 'fair' for a PC to do is not the same as what is 'fair' for an NPC to do - for instance in the case of RI8DS a PC using it would have enemies still attack him, but an NPC using it does not make you morally bound to attack them to make the GM feel better about their charm.

I realise that the answers vary depending on group, but it would be good to know what is the developer intent for system transparency here and how it should apply to charms that essentially rely on baiting the opponent into making a mistake.

Comment

Off the top of my head, I'd call it a major crafting project that can only be attempted in the Demon City. We may give it more attention in the future.
                    Something like firedust costs Resources 1 in the south but 2 everywhere else. How is the case with Yozi venom?

Comment

• A few questions about Lookshy's leadership if that's cool...

- Do previous edition canon characters like Maheka Lespa (Taimyo of the Third Field Force, General Staff member, and Matriarch of Gen Maheka) stand?

- If so, how does the power relationship work between Lespa and Dazan, given that he's Chumyo and she's General Staff, but she's his Gen Matriarch?

- How does matriarch status work in the patrilineal Gen structure of Lookshy? Obviously, assuming previous canon stands, matriarchs are common (Teresu, Maheka, and Yushoto were all led by women; only Amiliar explicitly has a male patriarch), but unless they wed adopted outcastes into their Gen, their children would all be in their husbands' Gentes, which, ala men in the Realm, and women in the historic-to-modern West, would tie them more strongly in that direction.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• "If she uses a ritual that allows her to reflexively gather sorcerous motes for a turn, this counts as if she had used a shape sorcery action—sorcerer-assassins often find such techniques efficacious in their chosen trade, allowing them to fluidly switch between fighting and shaping spells."
                        What does this mean in the context of shaping spells? Sounds like the character could setup a ritual in advance to feed her motes as she fights, and once it's full cast the spell instead of attacking? Am I understanding this correctly?

Virtuous Guardian of Flame

A sorcerer with this as her control spell may awaken Evocations from it, enhancing the guardian’s defensive power or wielding it offensively.
                        What does the VGoF act as when wielded as a weapon? Medium Artifact?
                        Last edited by ReshyShira; 05-24-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I think that's misleading—put a Lunar armed with a sword and a longbow up against a Solar with the same loadout, and the Lunar's gonna look much more versatile, because she can use her Strength and Dexterity Charms with both of those.
                          ​Huh, I can already see the shape of distinct mechanical and play experiences between three Exalted there; Solars are incentivized to use a variety of smaller Charms in combination, a representation of the image of heavy exertion; Dragon Blooded need to manage their Auras and the elements therein, covering both the picture of their elemental Essence being a flowing thing that needs to be martialled and that their strength is limited by what is incompatible within them; and Lunars have a number of Charms that can't be used in combination, but can have varied options owing to being able to apply multiple kinds of Charm to one kind of attack, or one Charm that can enhance multiple forms of attack.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Clownpiece View Post
                            1. When the book talks about system transparency, it mentions your character knows in-character what sort of dice pool theyre facing, and that the other person has used a charm.
                            That's not correct; the book says that the player knows what they're facing, not the character. (p. 216)

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

That's not correct; the book says that the player knows what they're facing, not the character. (p. 216)
                              In that case, how much is transferrable to IC knowledge? When you see someone spend a bunch of motes and throw 20 dice at you, you - for someone relying on DV for defence, anyhow - boost your DV higher to try and stop this attack. This is an in-character action taken from the knowledge that is apparently only available to the player, not the character. How much is this knowledge transferrable? Does this mean that enemies cannot tell, at all, that you have used RI8DS or other such effects? Does this mean that even if you the player know, your character is not allowed to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clownpiece View Post
                                In that case, how much is transferrable to IC knowledge? When you see someone spend a bunch of motes and throw 20 dice at you, you - for someone relying on DV for defence, anyhow - boost your DV higher to try and stop this attack. This is an in-character action taken from the knowledge that is apparently only available to the player, not the character. How much is this knowledge transferrable?
                                Clearly your character is aware of the danger on a general level, otherwise their actions in response make no sense. There are any number of ways to interpret this, from "My opponent's fist is glowing and setting the air on fire, that's scary!" to "My opponent's perfect stance and quick, accurate delivery means I need to guard myself against this attack" to "I just have a bad feeling about this." Your character does not know anything about motes or dice or specific Charms. (Barring the occasional Charm whose effects are sufficiently apparent and memorable to be recognizable in-character as some sort of signature technique, of course.)

Originally posted by Clownpiece View Post
                                Does this mean that enemies cannot tell, at all, that you have used RI8DS or other such effects? Does this mean that even if you the player know, your character is not allowed to?
                                The Storyteller benefits from transparency to the same extent as players, and non-player characters benefit from transparency to the same extent as player characters.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

Working...
                                X