This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    I just bought the Iron Siaka pdf, and I notice there's nothing about Resplendant Destinies. Should we assume that Iron Siaka will generally turn up disguised, and if she doesn't she'll be hard to remember, or is it not a thing at all?
    Resplendent destinies still exist, but they'll be a bit more involved than we could fit in her entry. For now, use the description of them in the Sidereal antagonists section.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Piff View Post

... except, uh, the Realm handles this issue just fine with some fancy stories and social constructs.

I think you're dramatically overselling the difficulty of such an indoctrination - particular when backed with sprinkles of actual truth.
      I'm not saying "it's so difficult it almost never happens." I'm saying "it doesn't happen a lot, and that shouldn't be the fanbase's default view of Lunar interactions with outcastes."

Also, comparing Lunar Exalted to 'patron gods and temporal leaders' kinda undersells Lunar competency, an issue with past editions.
      How is it underselling someone to compare their relationship to a dominion to that of a conquering king or a deity worshiped by nations?

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post

Does this mean that, technically, the Mouth of Peace or similar ranking Immaculate could declare a particular Solar or Lunar to not be Anathema?
        That would be theologically controversial, to say the least. I'd expect that to prompt accusations that the Mouth has been subverted or replaced by an Anathema impostor, and possibly a schism within the Order.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          I'm not saying "it's so difficult it almost never happens." I'm saying "it doesn't happen a lot, and that shouldn't be the fanbase's default view of Lunar interactions with outcastes."
          ​Would you also say that it's a bit easier to be brought into line with a system based around the government of other Dragon Blooded, because they're other Dragon Blooded and not Lunars, and hence there's a stronger sense of "this is a system in which I can assume the top positions, that are obviously occupied by Dragon Blooded" or "I'm not serving some random person, I'm serving great-grandmamma", as well as the kind of natural bond between Dragon Blooded Essences that lets them form Sworn Kinships?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Resplendent destinies still exist, but they'll be a bit more involved than we could fit in her entry. For now, use the description of them in the Sidereal antagonists section.
            I thought it might be something like that, thanks.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

​Would you also say that it's a bit easier to be brought into line with a system based around the government of other Dragon Blooded, because they're other Dragon Blooded and not Lunars, and hence there's a stronger sense of "this is a system in which I can assume the top positions, that are obviously occupied by Dragon Blooded" or "I'm not serving some random person, I'm serving great-grandmamma", as well as the kind of natural bond between Dragon Blooded Essences that lets them form Sworn Kinships?
              I think the Realm and Lookshy definitely have that going for them, even if the Realm's promise of potentially being able to assume the top position is illusory. That said, the Realm's also had multiple Great House uprisings against the Empress, and is currently teetering on the brink of civil war, so it's hardly a perfect system.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• In the DB Medicine Charm, Rebirth of Ivy and Flesh, it mentions that crippling injuries 'that could eventually heal or recover from naturally' are also valid targets, and that the healed player may allow for wood-like scar tissue to be generated instead of normal tissue. My question is more about crippling injuries that don't heal naturally, like missing fingers, an eye plucked out, or even a whole leg severed by a daiklaive. Are these valid targets as well, or does the wound simply heal them to stumps? I ask this because for the past few nights, I have been hounded by images of a man looking at me, one eye bloodshot, the other made of amber, with bark ringing the socket. He gestures at me with a wood-dragon's claw for a right hand, and curses the golden-warrior that made him so utterly twisted and hideous.

AND I MUST MAKE HIM REAL.

Popping in from time to time.

Comment

• what would be the ambition level to create something with Legendary Size?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brasstreader View Post
                    In the DB Medicine Charm, Rebirth of Ivy and Flesh, it mentions that crippling injuries 'that could eventually heal or recover from naturally' are also valid targets, and that the healed player may allow for wood-like scar tissue to be generated instead of normal tissue. My question is more about crippling injuries that don't heal naturally, like missing fingers, an eye plucked out, or even a whole leg severed by a daiklaive. Are these valid targets as well, or does the wound simply heal them to stumps?
                    They'd only heal to the extent they normally would, but with cosmetic plantiness.

I ask this because for the past few nights, I have been hounded by images of a man looking at me, one eye bloodshot, the other made of amber, with bark ringing the socket. He gestures at me with a wood-dragon's claw for a right hand, and curses the golden-warrior that made him so utterly twisted and hideous.

AND I MUST MAKE HIM REAL.
                    Maybe some kind of upgrade Charm?

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post
                      what would be the ambition level to create something with Legendary Size?
                      Depends on the nature of the thing. If you want to crossbreed a yeddim with a centipede (why), that'd be a Terrestrial working. If you want to create a many-handed titan guardian to march at the head of your armies and trample your foes underfoot, you're probably gonna want a high-end Solar working.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I'm not incredibly familiar with how detailed Destinies got in previous editions, but my impression from the Ex3 Core is that they tend to fill into tropes (or more accurately memes, but that's has a bit of a different connotation)--the core cites the "friendly town drunk," but I could imagine many others such as the Wise Sifu, the Angry Drill Sergeant, and the Haughty Bureaucrat. Is the current thinking that Destinies will still operate as tropes/narratives? Or do you all think there going to be a substantial departure from that?

And as a bonus question: I reread the introductory fiction recently, and Eastern Star doesn't appear to be using a Destiny at all! Is the idea of a Sidereal in a mixed circle walking around without a destiny going to be explored in the future?

Comment

• So I recently realized a rather interesting design dilemma where Attribute Charms are concerned: the broader in scope you make one the less room for flavor there is, but the narrower you make it the closer it gets to being an Ability Charm in disguise. How are you handling this? Is there a particular balance you're trying to strike between different parts of that spectrum? Is there some way you've hit on that I can't think of right now to make Charm X still "feel" like (e.g.-) a Charisma Charm rather than a War Charm even though it only enhances order actions? Are you just winging it? Really high-level question, I know, but I just can't stop wondering about it.

Comment

The Realm discusses this more thoroughly, but long story short, the Sidereals were smart enough not to write themselves into the list of Anathema.

So, how do the Sidereals never get mistaken for anathema, or be found problematic to the Deeb's Immaculate Faith if there's stronger exalted that have been canonized as being never problematic?

Comment

• For the artifact-compatible DB Craft Charms with a duration of "One project," do you really have to keep (e.g.-) 15m committed for the entire time that daiklave is in one of your craft slots? Because that could easily be a REALLY long time both in- and out-of-setting.

Comment

• What are the developers’ opinions on past depictions of Lunars who spent multiple centuries so depressed that they did nothing in all that time but sleep or effectively sleepwalk?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                                X