Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you supposed to model land-sea combat? eg. I have lightning ballistae on my coastal defences and ships are coming in. I can't make Positioning rolls so can't engage in naval combat. But Ships have way too few hull levels for me to just make decisive attacks with them.

Or if I have a battle group of elementals that shoot laser beams as their ranged attack. Do I roll (Cha+War) vs the enemy captain's (Wits+Sail)?

Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Homebrew sorcerous initiation based on anima) | Expanded spells & charm for Elemental summoning

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFamiliar View Post
      How are you supposed to model land-sea combat? eg. I have lightning ballistae on my coastal defences and ships are coming in. I can't make Positioning rolls so can't engage in naval combat. But Ships have way too few hull levels for me to just make decisive attacks with them.

Or if I have a battle group of elementals that shoot laser beams as their ranged attack. Do I roll (Cha+War) vs the enemy captain's (Wits+Sail)?
      I'd probably run it as normal combat. If you want to sink a ship with a lightning ballista, that's a feat of strength.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Is there anything that the rest of the party besides the ship captain can do during a Sail conflict, anyway?

Comment

• What difficulty of feat of strength would you need to smash a ship (say, a Realm trireme) with either a warstrider or lightning ballista? Presumably it's a feat requiring Strength 7? (But Strength 5 might let you make a hole so it sinks?)

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post
            Is there anything that the rest of the party besides the ship captain can do during a Sail conflict, anyway?
            Their actions could potentially grant bonuses or penalties to one party's opposed Sail roll, as adjudicated by the Storyteller. The core naval combat system doesn't make provisions for anything more complex than that, although the Storyteller could certainly allow it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              What difficulty of feat of strength would you need to smash a ship (say, a Realm trireme) with either a warstrider or lightning ballista? Presumably it's a feat requiring Strength 7? (But Strength 5 might let you make a hole so it sinks?)
              Destroying an entire ship in one fell feat is probably a Strength 10 feat. You're correct that a lower-level feat might damage a ship badly enough to start it sinking without obliterating it outright.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• If i want to break the mast of a ship with my supernatura skill with the bow and arrow, how would i roll the feat of strength?

Comment

• So, I've been told that this is also the place to raise balance concerns we might be having with WFHW...

Is there any chance we could have Petal-Strewn Pavane looked at? It's hugely more mote-efficient than the Athletics excellency (and it may also get you more dice unless you have a specialty in rushes), cancels flurry penalties, and also adds a non-Charm autosuccess and the ability to ignore difficult terrain in Wood Aura.

Basically, a character who has this Charm and Effortlessly Rising Flame has no reason not to use this on every combat movement roll unless they're crashed, easily garnering the equivalent of 7 dice for 2m 1i (assuming mote-initiative value parity, this is twice as mote-efficient as the excellency of the relevant ability!). Moreover, since they have no reason not to, they can also fire off a Performance-based influence, effectively also making this an extra action charm. So, a typical use-case of this can garner somebody the equivalent of 10 dice on a movement action (+5 base, +3 flurry cancellation, +2 from the non-Charm autosuccess), plus three dice on a Performance-based action and +1 Defense until the end of next turn (also flurry penalty cancellation). For two motes. And on difficult terrain, the Charm has the potential to be even better.

I don't think being restricted to light armor and the Perilous keyword does enough to balance out the sheer amount of stuff this Charm adds.

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                  Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• How does Mists of Eventide interact with battle groups? What happens if part of a large battle group is afflicted or crashed and knocked unconscious? Does the whole BG lose initiative or is it taken out of their magnitude to represent sleeping soldiers?

If I use the control effect, do I get take part/all of the BG as my own, reducing the opponent BG's Size? How do they make attacks if their initiative is fixed and I just drained it all with Mists? Or if it doesn't affect BG initiative because it's inherently fixed, how do I use the control spell effect?

Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Homebrew sorcerous initiation based on anima) | Expanded spells & charm for Elemental summoning

Comment

• As steel is a relatively new phenomenon historically, does this mean that in places like the threshold states and other places further towards the rim would see far more work-hardened iron swords than in the realm?

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                        As steel is a relatively new phenomenon historically, does this mean that in places like the threshold states and other places further towards the rim would see far more work-hardened iron swords than in the realm?
                        Historical newness gets weird in a post-apocalyptic setting. I think the availability of steel fluctuates with societies' access to necessary resources and level of metallurgical technology, which does mean that the Realm is going to have more steel weaponry than places that aren't the Realm.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFamiliar View Post
                          How does Mists of Eventide interact with battle groups? What happens if part of a large battle group is afflicted or crashed and knocked unconscious? Does the whole BG lose initiative or is it taken out of their magnitude to represent sleeping soldiers?
                          Battle groups can't be crashed by Initiative damage - the poison would just deal Magnitude damage to it. In-game, this Magnitude damage is going to be represented by some combatants falling asleep.

If I use the control effect, do I get take part/all of the BG as my own, reducing the opponent BG's Size?
                          You only get one dude per point of Willpower spent.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                            So, I've been told that this is also the place to raise balance concerns we might be having with WFHW...

Is there any chance we could have Petal-Strewn Pavane looked at? It's hugely more mote-efficient than the Athletics excellency (and it may also get you more dice unless you have a specialty in rushes), cancels flurry penalties, and also adds a non-Charm autosuccess and the ability to ignore difficult terrain in Wood Aura.

Basically, a character who has this Charm and Effortlessly Rising Flame has no reason not to use this on every combat movement roll unless they're crashed, easily garnering the equivalent of 7 dice for 2m 1i (assuming mote-initiative value parity, this is twice as mote-efficient as the excellency of the relevant ability!). Moreover, since they have no reason not to, they can also fire off a Performance-based influence, effectively also making this an extra action charm. So, a typical use-case of this can garner somebody the equivalent of 10 dice on a movement action (+5 base, +3 flurry cancellation, +2 from the non-Charm autosuccess), plus three dice on a Performance-based action and +1 Defense until the end of next turn (also flurry penalty cancellation). For two motes. And on difficult terrain, the Charm has the potential to be even better.

I don't think being restricted to light armor and the Perilous keyword does enough to balance out the sheer amount of stuff this Charm adds.
                            I'll flag it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post
                              If i want to break the mast of a ship with my supernatura skill with the bow and arrow, how would i roll the feat of strength?
                              That's probably better handled by a gambit.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Is the legion garrison in Fajad manned by a Mnemon or a Cathak legion? I know that historically the garrison commander and satrap are from different houses, but I'm not sure about how much this situation has changed after the Realm leagions were divvied up. The current commander is a Mnemon, but is she a Mnemon working in a Cathak legion?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                                X