Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question. Rough estimate, how much of Creation's population reside in satrapies? Quarter, half, or most?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      You can use Tireless Learner Method every time you make an end-of-story roll for Flowing Mind Prana.

No.
      Thank you !

One final question (I forgot to ask on last post my bad) : Once you you have recovered all experience spent for one particular use of Flowing Mind Prana, it is said you can't recover more experience. I assume it also means you don't roll anymore at the end of each story once you have recovered all experience from this particular Flowing Mind Prana, in regards to interactions with Tireless Learner Method ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
        One final question (I forgot to ask on last post my bad) : Once you you have recovered all experience spent for one particular use of Flowing Mind Prana, it is said you can't recover more experience. I assume it also means you don't roll anymore at the end of each story once you have recovered all experience from this particular Flowing Mind Prana, in regards to interactions with Tireless Learner Method ?
        Correct. 10char

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Nichos View Post
          Robert, Eric, you guys are awesome for doing all this.

My game is coming up on the players having to defend a city from a massive horde of demons, with multiple thousands of combatants on each side. I was curious how you would go about keeping such a huge battle sane to run, as having ten or more battle groups on the players' side and the NPCs' side each would be a gigantic slog.
          I'd recommend conglomerating each side's armies into a single battle group, or at least, fewer than ten battle groups.

And on a related note, I was wondering if Arrow Storm Technique's extra attacks were capable of hitting the same target(Like a battle group or behemoth that occupies more than one range band of space), or if it has to be one arrow per target.
          Arrow Storm Technique is limited to one attack per target, although the Storyteller can tweak that if they think it makes sense against armies or gigantic foes.
          Last edited by Robert Vance; 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
            Hm. What manner of soldier constitutes a typical Realm garrison? Local and/or foreign auxiliaries? Mercenaries? Legion-trained troops assigned to garrison duty rather than the more mobile legions? All/some/none of the above? Whatever the House can get?
            Garrison forces are provided by the satrap's house, which means pretty much whatever the house is willing and able to field. These wouldn't have been "Legion-trained troops assigned to garrison duty," insofar as the Great Houses had no authority over the Imperial legions until a couple of years ago — with the exceptions that they might field some retirees, and that Cathak, Sesus, and Tepet might have used their house legion troops for key garrison duties. I figure they were primarily some combination of peasants recruited from the house's prefectures and commoners recruited from the house's satrapies, with officers drawn from experienced garrison troops, retired legionnaires and skirmishers, and commissioned patricians. Mercenaries would be relatively rare, and auxiliaries wouldn't technically be part of the garrison.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to elaborate on this in The Realm. Even though we were able to expand the book upon being reassigned as developers, there was simply too much info to include and not enough word count to cover everything we might have wanted to. But maybe we'll get the opportunity to flesh this stuff out in an appropriate book somewhere down the line.

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
            How large or small is the typical garrison? Is it dependent on the physical size/geography of the nation in question? Population size? Relative importance defined by House matriarchs?
            It's not specified, allowing the Storyteller to set the numbers to whatever makes sense for the situation and is suitable for the story. At the moment, garrison numbers are usually significantly less than the satrap desires, as troops are being withdrawn to the Blessed Isle so they're on hand if civil war breaks out.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

I'd recommend conglomerating each side's armies into a single battle group, or at least, fewer than ten battle groups.

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I meant multiple Size 5 battle groups, and I assume you don't mean to create a Size 6 for this?

Comment

If I'm running PCs vs a Realm legion (5000+ soldiers), does it break anything if I run it as a single Size 6 Battle group, rather than 5 Size 5 Battle Groups? I know that Size only goes up to 5, but that seems much easier.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Nichos View Post

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I meant multiple Size 5 battle groups, and I assume you don't mean to create a Size 6 for this?
                  There's no theoretical upper bound on how large a Size 5 battle group can be. Splitting it into multiple Size 5 groups is solely a matter of ST convenience. If having twenty battle groups on the field is hard for you to run (god knows it would be for me), just fold 'em up.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                    If I'm running PCs vs a Realm legion (5000+ soldiers), does it break anything if I run it as a single Size 6 Battle group, rather than 5 Size 5 Battle Groups? I know that Size only goes up to 5, but that seems much easier.
                    There's some Storytelling advice on running fights against legions in The Realm, and I can boil that advice down to: don't make it just one fight.

From a theoretical perspective, a single "Size 6" battle group - assuming it follows the normal scaling for Size - is going to be weaker than two Size 5 battle groups. That can guide your decision-making in whether or not to employ that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                      Garrison forces are provided by the satrap's house, which means pretty much whatever the house is willing and able to field. These wouldn't have been "Legion-trained troops assigned to garrison duty," insofar as the Great Houses had no authority over the Imperial legions until a couple of years ago — with the exceptions that they might field some retirees, and that Cathak, Sesus, and Tepet might have used their house legion troops for key garrison duties. I figure they were primarily some combination of peasants recruited from the house's prefectures and commoners recruited from the house's satrapies, with officers drawn from experienced garrison troops, retired legionnaires and skirmishers, and commissioned patricians. Mercenaries would be relatively rare, and auxiliaries wouldn't technically be part of the garrison.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to elaborate on this in The Realm. Even though we were able to expand the book upon being reassigned as developers, there was simply too much info to include and not enough word count to cover everything we might have wanted to. But maybe we'll get the opportunity to flesh this stuff out in an appropriate book somewhere down the line.

It's not specified, allowing the Storyteller to set the numbers to whatever makes sense for the situation and is suitable for the story. At the moment, garrison numbers are usually significantly less than the satrap desires, as troops are being withdrawn to the Blessed Isle so they're on hand if civil war breaks out.

Thanks for this! It is some real good info. Do you know if there was a good resource for this in previous editions for the interim?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Are there no legal limits or limitations on how many troops the Houses can have on the Blessed Isle? I know most were forbidden from having legions until the Empress disappeared, so I assume there's also a law against having legion-sized gatherings of other house troops around?

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
                        Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
                        Some Lintha QCs
                        A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• So I guess this won't matter for a while but are sidereals going to get a different type of charmset from Solars? If the framework for solars are used for everything else, the elegant nature of the sidereal's locked charmset will be lost on something so dense.

Comment

• One of my player wants to create a "pocket dimension", a Cauldron where he could put his town-city of zealotous followers and have the ability to open a gate between Creation and the Elsewhere where his Cauldron leads to. I was thinking it would be an N/A artifact, but I didn't see any Artefact in the Core Solar nor the Arms of the Chosen (there is mension to linked portals but nothing about creating another whole dimension), but does it make sense to say it would be a First Age Artifice ? I have a little difficulty judging the difference between a N/A Artefact and a N/A artefact First Age Artifice, since N/A is already supposed to be greater ultimate works.

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
                              Are there no legal limits or limitations on how many troops the Houses can have on the Blessed Isle? I know most were forbidden from having legions until the Empress disappeared, so I assume there's also a law against having legion-sized gatherings of other house troops around?
                              The limit was, "If the Empress decides that your paramilitary force looks like a legion, she'll treat you as having broken the rule against having your own legion."

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

The limit was, "If the Empress decides that your paramilitary force looks like a legion, she'll treat you as having broken the rule against having your own legion."
                                ​So it's also a question of armament, organisation and level of training? And that if they're basically just recruits who are given a short sword, small shield and leather armour, and enough training to know which is which and be capable of maintaining basic law and order or sounding the alarm at a fort, they can theoretically have as many as they can afford or acquire without disrupting the economy of prefecture or satrapy?

​Will The Realm say whether or not Great Houses are permitted to ever conscript from territories under their jurisdiction?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                                X