This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    So it's also a question of armament, organisation and level of training? And that if they're basically just recruits who are given a short sword, small shield and leather armour, and enough training to know which is which and be capable of maintaining basic law and order or sounding the alarm at a fort, they can theoretically have as many as they can afford or acquire without disrupting the economy of prefecture or satrapy?
    Telling the Empress that your army of fifty thousand soldiers was't technically in violation of her edict because they weren't technically legionnaires was unlikely to cut much ice.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Will The Realm say whether or not Great Houses are permitted to ever conscript from territories under their jurisdiction?
    I think you'll need to provide more context before I can answer your question, as I assume you have a specific definition of "conscript" in mind.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
      Telling the Empress that your army of fifty thousand soldiers was't technically in violation of her edict because they weren't technically legionnaires was unlikely to cut much ice.
      Well, what if they're not all in the same place.

Originally posted by Eric Minton
      I think you'll need to provide more context before I can answer your question, as I assume you have a specific definition of "conscript" in mind.
      ​Any kind of system in which a Great House might leverage its authority in a satrapy or prefecture to make service in its militias or household guards a mandatory obligation rather than something that requires at least a modicum of consent after a process of recruitment. Possibly extending up to something that might rely on insinuations rather than the force of law, such as offering to relieve debts if a household or community provides some of its sons and daughters for service (although maybe not as far as it being an option to deal with convicted criminals).

​As an example, say in Arjuf Dominion, House Ledaal is building a new facility for experimenting with strange powers that's going to require a fresh security staff, would they have any recourse for sending officials among a bunch of villages and just saying "every family owes a member to the Exalted, for which you have no capacity to refuse", or would they be strictly limited to sending people around pitching such service to amenable people, and/or operating a recruitment station.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
        One of my player wants to create a "pocket dimension", a Cauldron where he could put his town-city of zealotous followers and have the ability to open a gate between Creation and the Elsewhere where his Cauldron leads to. I was thinking it would be an N/A artifact, but I didn't see any Artefact in the Core Solar nor the Arms of the Chosen (there is mension to linked portals but nothing about creating another whole dimension), but does it make sense to say it would be a First Age Artifice ? I have a little difficulty judging the difference between a N/A Artefact and a N/A artefact First Age Artifice, since N/A is already supposed to be greater ultimate works.
        Ultimately, the question to ask when making a thing First Age artifice is: is this artifact, when built in reasonable numbers by the Exalted and others capable of building it (which, for an N/A, isn't much), disruptive to the status quo of the Second Age? If yes, it should probably be First Age artifice. I think you're better situated than I am to judge whether that kind of thing would disrupt the Second Age you're portraying enough to warrant it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
          So I guess this won't matter for a while but are sidereals going to get a different type of charmset from Solars? If the framework for solars are used for everything else, the elegant nature of the sidereal's locked charmset will be lost on something so dense.
          I think we can marry elegance and "having more than four Sail Charms."

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Were Hearteaters, Umbrals, and Dream-Souled created for specific purposes, and is that purpose generally what they pursue today? Or are they like Exigents in looking for purpose?

How are overt are the ancillary Exalted in their Chosen-ness? It sound a bit like Hearteaters might be surreptitious to an extent, but are Umbrals and Dream-Souled more flamboyant?
            Last edited by Anaximander; 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              The limit was, "If the Empress decides that your paramilitary force looks like a legion, she'll treat you as having broken the rule against having your own legion."
              Another instance of the Empress not being very big on strictly defined rules, but preferring loose guidelines that she could selectively enforce as she pleased, and thus always keep her children guessing?

Originally posted by Anaximander View Post
              Were Hearteaters, Umbrals, and Dream-Souled
              Holy shit, when I glanced over this I thought I saw "Heartless, Nobodies, and Unversed" and I'm not sure I was wrong.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anaximander View Post
                Were Hearteaters, Umbrals, and Dream-Souled created for specific purposes, and is that purpose generally what they pursue today? Or are they like Exigents in looking for purpose?
                The Hearteaters were originally created to fight in the Divine Revolution, but the war scarred their very souls, transforming them into what they are now.

The Umbral Exalted and the Dream-Souled are both Chosen by their creators for a purpose, although it may not be a purpose they themselves are likely to be happy with it.

How are overt are the ancillary Exalted in their Chosen-ness? It sound a bit like Hearteaters might be surreptitious to an extent, but are Umbrals and Dream-Souled more flamboyant?
                In terms of recognizably being Exalted, instead of some kind of other supernatural entity? Someone learned enough to know what to look for will recognize them as Exalted.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• How intuitive is Sculpted Seafoam Eidolon? If I roll really high on my (Man+Occ) to make a convincing replica of the local surgeon, will it have the birthmark on her shoulder that the casting sorcerer didn't know about because that would make a higher quality illusion as the book says? Or can it only go as far as the sorcerer's knowledge allows?

Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Homebrew sorcerous initiation based on anima) | Expanded spells & charm for Elemental summoning

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    I think we can marry elegance and "having more than four Sail Charms."
                    True four was pretty underwhelming but I suppose I find shorter charm trees appealing.

Comment

• What is the difficulty of breaking an Artifact and does it depends on the Level of the Artifact ? I guess I would be considering a Feat of Strength 5+ for breaking a normal sword (from Bending a Horseshoe to Snapping Iron manacles) so is it a good guideline to consider an Artifact has a durability of its mundane counterpart +1-3 bonus depending on its level ? What do you think of a Gambit (difficulty around 4 since desarming is 3) that allows you to try a Feat of Strength to destroy the weapon of your opponent (illustrating the huge Mace-wielding Berserker splitting the sword of his parrying enemy over a huge smash) ?

Comment

• More MA questions, Single Point edition!

Pretty Good Iaijutsu Princess is a Dragon-Blooded practicioner of Single Point style, fighting against some dude with a fancy name and a bunch of Melee Charms. She is at Initiative 14, her sword is at 18, and we're currently at initiative count 15, when her opponent is launching a decisive attack against her.

1. If she already attacked on her sword's initiative during that turn, can she use Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash to clash the incoming attack without using up her attack action for the next turn? I can see three possible answers:
                        a/ No, because SP Form says she can make one attack per turn. While she may use whichever initiative track, there is no distinction between "her" attack action and "her sword's", even on the gameplay abstraction level, and the Terrestrial-keyword effect on Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash is very explicit in that if she already made an attack that turn, then it uses up her attack action for the next.
                        b/ Yes, because earlier, she only used up her sword's attack action, which is separate from her own, just like it is for a Celestial practicioner (even if she faces more restrictions on actually using the two on the same turn).
                        c/ As per b/, but she retroactively needs to pay a surcharge of one Willpower for making two attacks in the same round.

2. If the answer to the previous question is a/, can she effectively get three attacks in one turn by smacking someone with an attack made with her sword's initiative, clashing another with Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash by using up her attack action for the next turn, and then paying a Willpower to be able to attack on her own initiative tick as well?

3. In a dramatic reveal, her opponent turns out to have been wielding Gnomon all along! He launches a decisive attack supplemented by Final Hour Hastening! Princess is unimpressed and parries, causing her opponent to lose two more initiative, putting him at 11 when the action is resolved. Can she unleash Fatal Stroke Flash against him on her next turn?
                        a/ Yes - he made an attack and dropped to a lower initiative count than her own. This is literally the trigger condition for the Terrestrial-keyworded effect of FSF.
                        b/ No - the cost of Charms is paid before the action they enhance is resolved (I'm pretty sure there is an explicit rule for this in the core somewhere). By paying 2i into Final Hour Hastening, her opponent reduced his initiative to 13, so when the attack action was resolved, he could not have dropped below Princess in initiative, since his was already lower than hers, therefore FSF does not trigger.

4. Is the bonus damage from Fatal Stroke Flash always capped by the stylist's own, or is it capped by whichever initiative track was used to launch the attack? Similarly, if a FSF-enhanced attack made with the sword's initiative fails, does her own initiative fall equal to her enemy's (the literal reading of the rules), or does her sword's do so?

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                        Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFamiliar View Post
                          How intuitive is Sculpted Seafoam Eidolon? If I roll really high on my (Man+Occ) to make a convincing replica of the local surgeon, will it have the birthmark on her shoulder that the casting sorcerer didn't know about because that would make a higher quality illusion as the book says? Or can it only go as far as the sorcerer's knowledge allows?
                          I'd treat "this can't be the real surgeon, because it doesn't have his birthmark!" as the result of a successful roll to see through the illusion. In theory, it doesn't really make sense for your illusion to include information you aren't aware of, but in practice those fine details are largely below the level of mechanical resolution.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                            What is the difficulty of breaking an Artifact and does it depends on the Level of the Artifact ? I guess I would be considering a Feat of Strength 5+ for breaking a normal sword (from Bending a Horseshoe to Snapping Iron manacles) so is it a good guideline to consider an Artifact has a durability of its mundane counterpart +1-3 bonus depending on its level ? What do you think of a Gambit (difficulty around 4 since desarming is 3) that allows you to try a Feat of Strength to destroy the weapon of your opponent (illustrating the huge Mace-wielding Berserker splitting the sword of his parrying enemy over a huge smash) ?
                            Artifact weapons and armor generally can't be broken without magic that makes it possible.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
                              More MA questions, Single Point edition!

Pretty Good Iaijutsu Princess is a Dragon-Blooded practicioner of Single Point style, fighting against some dude with a fancy name and a bunch of Melee Charms. She is at Initiative 14, her sword is at 18, and we're currently at initiative count 15, when her opponent is launching a decisive attack against her.

1. If she already attacked on her sword's initiative during that turn, can she use Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash to clash the incoming attack without using up her attack action for the next turn?
                              She'd need to pay the point of Willpower to attack twice.

3. In a dramatic reveal, her opponent turns out to have been wielding Gnomon all along! He launches a decisive attack supplemented by Final Hour Hastening! Princess is unimpressed and parries, causing her opponent to lose two more initiative, putting him at 11 when the action is resolved. Can she unleash Fatal Stroke Flash against him on her next turn?
                              Yes. An enemy's Initiative can still drop beneath your own even if it was already below yours to begin with (also potentially relevant for Crane Form).

4. Is the bonus damage from Fatal Stroke Flash always capped by the stylist's own, or is it capped by whichever initiative track was used to launch the attack? Similarly, if a FSF-enhanced attack made with the sword's initiative fails, does her own initiative fall equal to her enemy's (the literal reading of the rules), or does her sword's do so?
                              It cares about the Initiative track used to make the attack.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                                Yes. An enemy's Initiative can still drop beneath your own even if it was already below yours to begin with (also potentially relevant for Crane Form).
                                Well that's a revelation (although in hindsight, it should've been obvious considering the specificity of OWTB's wording). Does initiative spent on the attack (using the Piercing tag or Charms like Demon-Crushing Wolf Bite) also trigger FSF, or was it specifically meant for cases where making (or rather, missing with) the attack itself causes the opponent to drop in initiative?

Evocations for the demonic tattoos gained from the Pact with Mara sorcerous initiation || Pyre-Kindler (Soulsteel and Red Jade Grimscythe, Artifact 3) || Tenebrous Descent (Stormcaller's Black Jade Reaver Daiklave cousin, Artifact 5)
                                Advice for running the corebook shikari antagonists

Comment

Working...
                                X