Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you attune artefacts, they become much lighter for you.
    Does this include artefact armour when you're not actually wearing it?

Basically, my Warstrider is damaged, and currently I can't ride in it. So I want to carry it, or perhaps build a big sled and pull it. I can pump my Strength to 8, and there's entries at Strength 7 like "lift an elephant" and "carry a giant statue over one shoulder", but elephants aren't made of orichalcum.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Is the fact that some weapons don't have artifact variants a game-balance decision, or just a result of limits on word count?

F.ex. is it supposed to be possible for a 'hooked dailkave' or an artifact war fan you can use with Crane Style to be a thing, or is that not in the game because it could be too strong?

Comment

• Query: With regards to White Veil Style's Owl Clutches at the Night:

After missing with an attack, the stylist conceals her attempt, requiring her victim and other onlookers to roll (Perception + Awareness) against (her Essence + Manipulation) to realize she attacked.
        Is this a roll off, i.e. the White Veil Stylist rolls her Ess + Manipulation total as a dice pool to generate a difficulty? Or is it that her total Ess + Manipulation is the difficulty to notice? In either case, would specialties apply to the calculations for the White Veil Stylist?

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
          Query: With regards to White Veil Style's Owl Clutches at the Night:

Is this a roll off, i.e. the White Veil Stylist rolls her Ess + Manipulation total as a dice pool to generate a difficulty? Or is it that her total Ess + Manipulation is the difficulty to notice? In either case, would specialties apply to the calculations for the White Veil Stylist?
          It's a flat difficulty of the stylist's (Essence + Manipulation). Specialties don't apply.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by limaxophobiac View Post
            Is the fact that some weapons don't have artifact variants a game-balance decision, or just a result of limits on word count?

F.ex. is it supposed to be possible for a 'hooked dailkave' or an artifact war fan you can use with Crane Style to be a thing, or is that not in the game because it could be too strong?
            It's the latter. Any weapon could have an artifact equivalent.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
              When you attune artefacts, they become much lighter for you.
              This is true for artifact weapons, but not artifact armors or warstriders.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                Ah, fair enough.
                And I guess Godspeed Vanguard is probably significantly heavier than an elephant. Maybe I can put it on some kind of sled.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

So artifact armour is a LOT heavier than mundane armor?

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
                  Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
                  Some Lintha QCs
                  A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post

So artifact armour is a LOT heavier than mundane armor?
                    It's "bulky, rigid, and immobile," not heavier. Artifact weapons aren't heavier than normal weapons because the magical materials are denser than mundane metal; they're heavier because they're gimungous.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

It's "bulky, rigid, and immobile," not heavier. Artifact weapons aren't heavier than normal weapons because the magical materials are denser than mundane metal; they're heavier because they're gimungous.
                      So, the magical materials are only super hard without being brittle, but not actually heavy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fenrir666 View Post
                        So, the magical materials are only super hard without being brittle, but not actually heavy?
                        With the proviso that I know very little about metallurgy, I think that's right.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

With the proviso that I know very little about metallurgy, I think that's right.
                          Hardness only affects the scratch test - what it cuts or what cuts it. Steel is a good deal harder than lead, but if you speed a chunk of lead up fast enough, it can go through a steel car door without much trouble. Given that the 5MM also tend to be resistant to puncturing and bludgeoning, would it be better to assume that the magical materials are simply just resilient in a number of mostly unspecified ways?

Comment

• Been a while since I've been here, but our Exalted game is starting up again, so... Can you use Rumour of Form on a roll with no 1s in order to make the reflexive stealth roll, or can you only attempt the stealth roll if you get lucky and your opponent rolls a 1?

To ask further on a question Vance has somewhat answered previously - does your ruling on Stalking ~Wolf Attitude mean that you can't sneak up on someone using Easily Overlooked Presence, or can you join battle and -then- Easily Overlooked Presence + Stalking Wolf Attitude to follow someone unseen but not hiding. You're still stalking, after all. I assume you could still ambush in this instance, since you're attacking without your target having any idea that something is wrong.
                            Last edited by Rowanas; 06-11-2018, 04:04 AM.

This post was made in a factory where hyperbole and sarcasm are handled.

Comment

If anything, the weight comes from the density of the material. A giant sword of styrofoam is still super light weight, if incredibly unwieldy. I'd imagine that the forging process greatly increases the density of the weapon so as to increase the amount of force it can apply, but without attunement it's too heavy to use effectively (like the magical armor from Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess). I'd imagine that artifact weapons are large because the attunement in them will make them as light as a typical sword of mortal make, so there's less reason to make them smaller (except perhaps that it may become unwieldy).

Also Vance, regarding poisons, does the penalty it inflicts apply to your static values (resolve, guile, parry, etc.) or is it only for die pool actions? I know that Wound Penalties specifically calls out that it applies to your static values, but the penalty from poisons does not.

Comment

• Is an official version of the Five Trials sorcerous initiation planned to be published? Either way, any timeframe on the Bridget/sorcery book?

Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Homebrew sorcerous initiation based on anima) | Expanded spells & charm for Elemental summoning

Comment

Working...
                                X