This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Craft; probably a four-dot artifact. There's a lot of places where artifice and sorcery can overlap, but I don't think creating automata should be one of those places.
    A question of my players, if i want to create a lifeform with the same QC stats, would it still be sorcery? And would it be terrestrial 3 or celestial 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by aluminiumtrioxid View Post
      sdfsdfgsdgdf';gh

So, behind the scenes peek: when I get asked a question I know has been asked before, I just go to Nishkriya and ctrl+f the subject. I found a post where I said poison didn't subtract from static values, but then reversed myself, and figured, "well, that's what I thought last time, clearly that's true!" Of course, I did not find the later post where I reversed myself again.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
        I’m a little confused now, because several of the Ambition descriptions in the section on Workings specifically mention granting objects human level intelligence, making structures animate, and similar things. So, it seems like “bring a statue to life” should be in there somewhere.
        That refers to things like creating a magic mirror that's smart enough to carry out conversations with you, or giving your laboratory Hogwarts-style architecture. Nothing particularly breaks if a Storyteller says workings can create automatons, but to me, Brass Legionnaires et al. feel like something squarely in Craft's wheelhouse that sorcery shouldn't get to pilfer.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Forgot to ask something about Heart-Eclipsing Shroud in my last bout of questions about that tree. The final text says "Motes spent activating this effect are not committed: reverting to her true Intimacies or changing to another persona requires that she use the Charm again." When you get up to "Hundred-Faced Stranger" you now have the potential of losing access to that Charm if your persona is not a social savant. Was it the intention to require Socialize 5 in all these personas lest they lose access to the ability to get out of this form or was it intended that this Charm was always available to every persona regardless of their Socialize score.
          I didn't write the Charm, so I can't speak to intention, but I don't believe it was intended to be possible to lock yourself into a persona that way.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

How is creating automata different or superior to creating an elemental?
            An elemental is a living spirit of elemental Essence, and summoning and binding spirits has long sat squarely in sorcery's purview. An automaton is a wondrous machine possessed of sentience, if not necessarily sapience. There's a whole lot of difference between those.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              Suppose there is an Essence 5 Dragon Blood who is strongly invested in one combat Ability and enough of Lore to get Dragon Vortex Attack, as well as being in possession of a level-5 Artifact that aligns with their maximized combat Ability and that they have a full range of Evocations in.

​This Exalt is in combat against a Dawn Caste Solar at Essence 2 or 3 in a warstrider, who is decently advanced in a combat Supernal Ability, but lacks an Essence 5 Charm.

​Who would you say might have the advantage?
              So many variables there (what's the Dragon-Blood's fighting style, what's the Solar's fighting style, where are they fighting, why are they fighting, what kind of Evocations do they have) that any answer I could give would just be baseless speculation. That said, my baseless speculation is not to bet against the Solar.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post

A question of my players, if i want to create a lifeform with the same QC stats, would it still be sorcery? And would it be terrestrial 3 or celestial 1?
                The QC stats of the automaton include all the things that represent it not being a living thing, so that end-run wouldn't really work. Assuming the Storyteller says, silly Vance, of course a working can make automatons, the difference between Terrestrial 3 and Celestial 1 basically comes down to whether or not you want them to be a thing that Dragon-Blooded and mortal sorcerers can make fairly easily.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• So since a Sorcerer can make an elemental or bind a demon, what constitutes a supernatural minion made from a sorcerous working as distinct from what a spell can give you?

Comment

So many variables there (what's the Dragon-Blood's fighting style, what's the Solar's fighting style, where are they fighting, why are they fighting, what kind of Evocations do they have) that any answer I could give would just be baseless speculation. That said, my baseless speculation is not to bet against the Solar.
                    ​I've considered some revisions to my original assumption, particularly not having given enough consideration to what the pilot might bring when the warstrider's Evocations aren't best suited to a situation (but its hefty attack pools, even with a penalty to hit a person-sized target, are still useful).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                      So since a Sorcerer can make an elemental or bind a demon, what constitutes a supernatural minion made from a sorcerous working as distinct from what a spell can give you?
                      Customizability and permanence.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

At this point, the only thing I can say is "after Exigents."
                        What led you to decide another setting book accompanying the next pair of splat books versus a book of sorcery or even a storyteller's guide?

Comment

• Originally posted by reseru View Post
                          What led you to decide another setting book accompanying the next pair of splat books versus a book of sorcery or even a storyteller's guide?
                          The two highest-priority supplements for us, outside of the splatbooks, were a dedicated setting book and a Storyteller's Guide. We scheduled our releases accordingly.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

An elemental is a living spirit of elemental Essence, and summoning and binding spirits has long sat squarely in sorcery's purview. An automaton is a wondrous machine possessed of sentience, if not necessarily sapience. There's a whole lot of difference between those.
                            Okay, but what's the practical difference?

Crafting automata is a bigger investment than continuously summoning elementals. What are the advantages?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                              Okay, but what's the practical difference?

Crafting automata is a bigger investment than continuously summoning elementals. What are the advantages?
                              The biggest difference is that automatons last longer than a year and a day, and aren't single-mindedly bound to a single task. As for other advantages, y'all've got the stat blocks, so you can compare and contrast.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• So do dragon-blooded still have physical tells that show breeding?

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                                The two highest-priority supplements for us, outside of the splatbooks, were a dedicated setting book and a Storyteller's Guide. We scheduled our releases accordingly.
                                Just wondering if it's okay to ask if sidereals are after exigents.

Comment

Working...
                                X