This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KFinigan View Post
    I'm seeking clarification for Living Shadow Preparation.

Firstly, are the successes provide charm successes as per the general charm limitations on pp. 251? I'm pretty sure they should be.
    Yes.

There's a line of text in Miracles of the Solar Exalted which states that banked successes are always non-Charm, even if not otherwise specified. I strongly recommend disregarding that line for balance purposes.

Secondly, the charm text states "Banked successes can be reflexively applied to a single Larceny or Stealth action". Does this exhaust the entire bank of successses or only those required in the action, leaving the remainder for future uses -- one action at a time?
    They all get added to one single action.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

In Ex3, we're going with the First Edition presentation of the Salinan Working.
      Good.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      I don't think I could see it in Solar Lore. If I wanted to make it, what I'd probably do is have it be a Socialize Charm that works by way of an extradiegetic retcon—something like "I know a guy," where the Solar is such a well-traveled socialite that she finds herself encountering people she's spoken to before anywhere she goes.
      ​It may be that the thing that I have in mind is more appropriate to the Infernal that I was imagining it for anyway, and some application of their own powers rather than sorcery.

​The specific scenario I had in mind was of an Infernal who walks into the midst of a warzone, and through the compelling power of his voice gets all of the combatants to briefly lay down arms and listen as he proselytizes, the memory of which is then buried deep in their minds.

​The Infernal is banking on later provoking the nation that the troops belonged to deploying forces against him, and arranging it through sorcerous means that it just happens to consist of 90% of troops who were present when he spoke.

He would go out to meet the troops personally, revive the memory of his sermon for them, and with a bit of a push manage to win over their defection, thus ensuring that the enemy actually delivered a sizable army right to his doorstep.

(His first command, as a show of their newly pledged loyalty, is to engage in decimation)

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• So, can I ask. I know astrology is going to be different but how exactly does Thulos use astrology if he's been removed from fate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
          So, can I ask. I know astrology is going to be different but how exactly does Thulos use astrology if he's been removed from fate?
          Sidereal astrology is an inborn power of the Sidereal Exalted. They could no more be denied it by outside intervention than they could their Charms.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Sidereal astrology is an inborn power of the Sidereal Exalted. They could no more be denied it by outside intervention than they could their Charms.
            I see. But they're still essentially bureaucratic actions right? Man, it's been a while since I read sidereals so I could be remembering it incorrectly.

Comment

So they can now use it without needing to be triple signed by a few gods?

Comment

The section on poison penalties specifies that they subtract from actions, not static values.
                I realise this is going back a bit but I find this ruling odd. Isn't the application of a static value an action that would fall squarely into the reflexive category? The Glossary definition of action is very broad and would encompass pretty much everything a character does. Also it has odd effects like saying the Blind flaw doesn't effect your ability to parry.

Also assorted places in the book describe the application of static values as an action, such as the rules for stunts on page 187 saying "If the stunted action is the application of a static value (such as using Defense to block an opponent’s leaping sword slash), then that static value rises by 1." As well as the description for reflexive type charms on pg 253 saying "A reflexive Charm creates a reflexive action or enhances a non-dice action, such as applying Defense against an attack...".

I was under the impression if a penalty was to explicitly not apply to static values it would use the term "dice-pool".

Comment

• The tendency with 3E is to hew more closely to 1E than 2E in terms of lore, but are there areas where 2E's is preferred, or areas where the lore doesn't suit 3E in both cases and you're making up new stuff?

Do the Dream-Souled have a caste equivalent that is determined by different kinds of dream their patron liked when evaluating them? Like, dreams of rage become Lollipop Dream-Souled, or dreams of sadness become Acorn Dream-Souled.

Comment

• Do the Lunar Tattoos help ward against Sidereal astrology or a similar effect?

Also, can a Lunar's tells be aspects of their human form that sticks whilst in other forms? If so are there any examples of what the tells can't be?

Comment

• Can we get, in adversaries maybe, an example of why the wyld hunt and the Dragon blooded and sidereal expended so much time and resources to appease the ghosts of solars they killed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaek View Post

I realise this is going back a bit but I find this ruling odd. Isn't the application of a static value an action that would fall squarely into the reflexive category? The Glossary definition of action is very broad and would encompass pretty much everything a character does. Also it has odd effects like saying the Blind flaw doesn't effect your ability to parry.

Also assorted places in the book describe the application of static values as an action, such as the rules for stunts on page 187 saying "If the stunted action is the application of a static value (such as using Defense to block an opponent’s leaping sword slash), then that static value rises by 1." As well as the description for reflexive type charms on pg 253 saying "A reflexive Charm creates a reflexive action or enhances a non-dice action, such as applying Defense against an attack...".

I was under the impression if a penalty was to explicitly not apply to static values it would use the term "dice-pool".
                        He already corrected himself on that a few posts later.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDDM84 View Post
                          Can we get, in adversaries maybe, an example of why the wyld hunt and the Dragon blooded and sidereal expended so much time and resources to appease the ghosts of solars they killed?
                          Maybe! 10char

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ReshyShira View Post
                            Do the Lunar Tattoos help ward against Sidereal astrology or a similar effect?
                            Nope.

Also, can a Lunar's tells be aspects of their human form that sticks whilst in other forms?
                            It can be a prominent distinguishing feature of your human form, yeah.

If so are there any examples of what the tells can't be?
                            I'm focusing more on what they can be.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post

So they can now use it without needing to be triple signed by a few gods?
                              Don't get me wrong; cosignatories always help.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I've just got the 1st ed bundle of pdfs from the backer. I've read the aspect books a fair bit before, but only skimmed my friend's copy of 1st ed DB and Outcastes. The main difference I remember with 2nd ed was that 1st ed DB had stuff about festivals and what colour clothes people wore, and 1st ed Lookshy was written in less positive a way.

Is there any particular part of 1st ed Dragonblood (or Outcastes, or the Aspect books) that you recommend as still being useful in 3rd ed? Or that you yourself were inspired by, even if it changed a bit?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

Working...
                                X