Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What, if anything, sticks out in your minds as parts of 2nd edition that were better presented or more useful than their 1st edition presentation?

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• EDIT: I just noticed this was the dev Q&A thread not the threada bout the books. Sorry!

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      I've just got the 1st ed bundle of pdfs from the backer. I've read the aspect books a fair bit before, but only skimmed my friend's copy of 1st ed DB and Outcastes. The main difference I remember with 2nd ed was that 1st ed DB had stuff about festivals and what colour clothes people wore, and 1st ed Lookshy was written in less positive a way.

Is there any particular part of 1st ed Dragonblood (or Outcastes, or the Aspect books) that you recommend as still being useful in 3rd ed? Or that you yourself were inspired by, even if it changed a bit?
      In Outcastes, the Forest Witches chapter is really cool and worth reading. The Lost Eggs chapter in very similar to the one in WFHW, but more in depth on some things I believe and so is worth a read for that. There are probably a lot of broad stroke stuff on Lookshy that's worth looking into, like fashion, food, and cultural instances in that chapter which aren't in the DB book, as wella s talks more on the Order of Chaplans, sohei, and military rank titles that seem not be there.

The Aspect Books are mixeda s soem fo thema re out of date or retconned, but soem biographies are especially interesting to me. Notable biogrpaheis to me were Tepet Arada, Kasif, Ragara Jasir, Moias, Crow, Cynis Denova Avaku, Cathak Cainan (with some fo the 3e changes kept in mind), Sesus Rafara, the Roseblack, and the Slug, I admit to not remembering mcuht hat stood out as itneresting in AB: Water though. Some neat Artifact and hearthstone ideas that coudl be refluffed for 3e as well.

Exalted: the Dragon-Blooded is mostly covered entirely by the new book, but some bits and pieces ont eh Realm are neat toa hve untilt hat book come sout, like food folks eat, pets, and so on. And the fiction pieces might be wroth a look through I think. Some of the Inspirational Sources and the Introduction bits might be handy though.
      Last edited by Blaque; 06-13-2018, 11:43 AM. Reason: Wrong thread <_<

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
        What, if anything, sticks out in your minds as parts of 2nd edition that were better presented or more useful than their 1st edition presentation?
        No great examples come to mind, although that's not to say there aren't any.

EDIT: Having had some time to think about it, I greatly prefer the depiction of Luna in Glories of the Most High to any take on her in First Edition.
        Last edited by Robert Vance; 06-13-2018, 12:18 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
          I've just got the 1st ed bundle of pdfs from the backer. I've read the aspect books a fair bit before, but only skimmed my friend's copy of 1st ed DB and Outcastes. The main difference I remember with 2nd ed was that 1st ed DB had stuff about festivals and what colour clothes people wore, and 1st ed Lookshy was written in less positive a way.

Is there any particular part of 1st ed Dragonblood (or Outcastes, or the Aspect books) that you recommend as still being useful in 3rd ed? Or that you yourself were inspired by, even if it changed a bit?
          While the First Edition books aren't going to be 100% accurate to Third Edition, they played a major role in inspiring it.

Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded was our primary source text for What Fire Has Wrought and The Realm, especially with regards to the Realm's history and society. While there are definitely places we've changed its presentation, it remains our starting point.

The Aspect Books - in addition to making a really good read - were used as biographical references for the characters detailed in them, like Mnemon and Tepet Ejava.

The Outcastes provided our source material for Lookshy, although it probably changed the most on account of Ex3's revised depiction of "magitech." It's also the source text for the depiction of Forest Witches coming up in the Dragon-Blooded Companion.

Blood and Salt is notable for its depictions of the satrapy of An-Teng and the Lintha headquarters of Bluehaven, although you won't see those until Across the Eight Directions.

Thousand Correct Actions is just neat - a pastiche of Sun Tzu written from a Shogunate perspective.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I had a couple of questions about the Impervious Sphere of Water spell, from What Fire Hath Wrought.

First, if it's not your control spell, can you move with it? The spell says that the caster can only take reflexive actions, which includes standard movement (but not things like Rush or Disengage). The control spell effect says it allows you to take movement actions, and that the sphere follows you. I'm confused if the sphere following you is supposed to apply only to the control spell, or all castings. The way I see it, there are three possible interpretations:
            1) If the spell isn't your control spell, its immobile, and the caster can take only reflexive actions, which don't include the standard reflexive movement, meaning they have to stand at the center of the sphere. If the sphere is your control spell, it moves with you, and you can take any of the movement actions without ending it.
            2) The sphere moves with you even if its not your control spell. You can take the standard reflexive movement, moving the sphere with you. Having it as a control spell is the same, except you can also take the other, non-reflexive movement actions.
            3) The sphere is immobile or moves as you wish. The caster can move reflexively, even if it's not their control spell, and can either have the sphere follow them or stay where they cast it. Control spell is similar, but with non-reflexive movement actions allowed.

Which of these is correct?

Second, the distortion effect seems a little lethal for the caster, at least if they can't leave the sphere - making the water unbreathable basically means that unless you've got a way to be immune to drowning, you're sunk (no pun intended). Is that the intent, or is it balanced based on the assumption that the caster can leave the sphere? If that's the case, then the control spell effect might need to be clarified, since as written, it seems like the sphere would always follow them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              No great examples come to mind, although that's not to say there aren't any.

EDIT: Having had some time to think about it, I greatly prefer the depiction of Luna in Glories of the Most High to any take on her in First Edition.
              Autochthonia and how to represent its potential contact with Creation perhaps?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
                I had a couple of questions about the Impervious Sphere of Water spell, from What Fire Hath Wrought.

First, if it's not your control spell, can you move with it? The spell says that the caster can only take reflexive actions, which includes standard movement (but not things like Rush or Disengage). The control spell effect says it allows you to take movement actions, and that the sphere follows you. I'm confused if the sphere following you is supposed to apply only to the control spell, or all castings. The way I see it, there are three possible interpretations:
                1) If the spell isn't your control spell, its immobile, and the caster can take only reflexive actions, which don't include the standard reflexive movement, meaning they have to stand at the center of the sphere. If the sphere is your control spell, it moves with you, and you can take any of the movement actions without ending it.
                2) The sphere moves with you even if its not your control spell. You can take the standard reflexive movement, moving the sphere with you. Having it as a control spell is the same, except you can also take the other, non-reflexive movement actions.
                3) The sphere is immobile or moves as you wish. The caster can move reflexively, even if it's not their control spell, and can either have the sphere follow them or stay where they cast it. Control spell is similar, but with non-reflexive movement actions allowed.

Which of these is correct?
                Normally, you can take the standard reflexive move action, but the sphere doesn't move with you. Having it as your control lets you do stuff like rush and disengage without breaking the spell, in addition to having it move with you.

Second, the distortion effect seems a little lethal for the caster, at least if they can't leave the sphere - making the water unbreathable basically means that unless you've got a way to be immune to drowning, you're sunk (no pun intended). Is that the intent, or is it balanced based on the assumption that the caster can leave the sphere? If that's the case, then the control spell effect might need to be clarified, since as written, it seems like the sphere would always follow them.
                The sorcerer can roll to escape a distorted sphere just like anyone else caught in it.

I'll see if I can't clarify both those points a bit.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Autochthonia and how to represent its potential contact with Creation perhaps?
                  Another good one. Compass: Autochthonia was really, really good.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Will Fangs at the Gate have a “spend Anima Banner for Godzilla breath” Charm?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      Will Fangs at the Gate have a “spend Anima Banner for Godzilla breath” Charm?
                      I'd be hard-pressed to justify that as a Lunar Charm.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

He already corrected himself on that a few posts later.
                        I dont see any correction that says actions now exclude applying static values?

I am simply wanting to know if this is a new ruling as it would impact the reading of any future content written. As in the core book application of static values are expressed as being actions. So I take the phrase "All actions" to include them.

Comment

Interesting insect anatomy stuffs....

Comment

Nothing like Apocalypse Flare Attack or Blazing Solar Bolt?

Can Lunars at least dump their anima levels into an ear-shattering roar?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

Nothing like Apocalypse Flare Attack or Blazing Solar Bolt?

Can Lunars at least dump their anima levels into an ear-shattering roar?
                              Lion's Roar Rebuke has a good chance of coming back in some form or another.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Can you give us a few examples of things that NA rank Artifacts can do vs. some things they definitely cannot do?

Comment

Working...
                                X