This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
    What happens if you use Spirit-Shredding Attack to kill a Spirit with Essence 1, or a spirit that has through repeated use been reduced to E1? So far I'd have ruled it's permanently destroyed for sure, but with

I started to doubt. On the other hand, Essence 1 spirits are really rather insignificant, so...
    It reforms at Essence 1, probably with a godawful hangover. Nothing bad's gonna happen if you play it differently at your table, but it's not intended to ghost-eat.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
      Is being able to attempt to block the unblockable something that should be solely in the part of Solar melee? A play of mine wants a charm that would allow him to attempt to dodge the undodgeable. Is that lack of a option something you believe should be preserved because Solar Dodge has a perfect effect already?
      Seven Shadow Evasion already dodges the undodgeable (It may not say it in so many words, but "dodge any attack from any source without a contest" is broad enough to encompass undodgeable attacks).

If you want a cheaper Charm without a more forgiving reset that lets you dodge the undodgeable without it being a perfect dodge, I could see that, although I'm not sure that effect alone is worth the 8xp for a Solar.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Seven Shadow Evasion already dodges the undodgeable (It may not say it in so many words, but "dodge any attack from any source without a contest" is broad enough to encompass undodgeable attacks).

If you want a cheaper Charm without a more forgiving reset that lets you dodge the undodgeable without it being a perfect dodge, I could see that, although I'm not sure that effect alone is worth the 8xp for a Solar.
        Thanks again for answering these types of questions. It really does aid us in really digging deep into the system and smooths out our games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eco-Mono View Post
          Speaking in terms of broad cultural perceptions, rather than individual identities, do Western cultures see the Tya as...
          1. men?
          2. a gender of their own?
          3. women with a legal fiction to protect them from the Storm Mothers?
          Or does it vary from culture to culture - and if so, between which of these?

I ask because 2e sources don't seem to agree on the matter, and the 3e Core sidebar on the topic is also somewhat muddy ("male in Western eyes" but still describing them as a society of women).
          I think some cultures would view them as men, while others would view them as a third gender.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Robert Vance

Two questions:

1) What does it mean to "win" Join Battle? Do you have to defeat all other participants (including your allies), or just ones that are antagonists? I had presumed the former, but the Mastery effect of Inspiring Battle Hymn (Exalted, pg 447) included wording that made me doubt that. "...or grant it to an ally who also won Join Battle."

2) How does Virtuous Guardian of Flame interact with defend other? I have VGoF up, and I defend other. Enemy attacks my defend other target and surpasses my Parry value. Said enemy chooses to attack me instead of the warded target. Normally, this would just hit (as they have exceeded my defense). However, does the Virtuous Guardian now defend *me* imposing its Parry value to reduce that attack even further (potentially forcing another choice from the attacker to ultimately attack the Virtuous Guardian or me if they exceed the Guardian's Parry)?

2a) The above also has ramifications for just a chain of normal characters all using defend other on one another. I defend character A; Character T defends me. Enemy attacks A, chooses to attack me instead of A after all; does T get to now defend me? (And, to fully complete the circle, Character A defends T for ultimate sillyness.)

Thanks for your time!

Comment

• Could an Artifact’s Evocations help enhance the rolls to build another Artifact? I know that Solars get enough Craft boosters that giving them another one on par with what they already get probably isn’t going to be a problem, but are there any particular limits I should keep in mind for Dragon-Blooded?

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                Could an Artifact’s Evocations help enhance the rolls to build another Artifact? I know that Solars get enough Craft boosters that giving them another one on par with what they already get probably isn’t going to be a problem, but are there any particular limits I should keep in mind for Dragon-Blooded?
                I wouldn't let Dragon-Blooded get any better at the numbers game of it than they already are. There are ways to enhance/incentivize/reward artifact crafting that don't just boil down to effectively adding dice.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by the_larz View Post
                  Robert Vance

Two questions:

1) What does it mean to "win" Join Battle? Do you have to defeat all other participants (including your allies), or just ones that are antagonists? I had presumed the former, but the Mastery effect of Inspiring Battle Hymn (Exalted, pg 447) included wording that made me doubt that. "...or grant it to an ally who also won Join Battle."
                  Just gotta beat your enemies.

2) How does Virtuous Guardian of Flame interact with defend other? I have VGoF up, and I defend other. Enemy attacks my defend other target and surpasses my Parry value. Said enemy chooses to attack me instead of the warded target. Normally, this would just hit (as they have exceeded my defense). However, does the Virtuous Guardian now defend *me* imposing its Parry value to reduce that attack even further (potentially forcing another choice from the attacker to ultimately attack the Virtuous Guardian or me if they exceed the Guardian's Parry)?

2a) The above also has ramifications for just a chain of normal characters all using defend other on one another. I defend character A; Character T defends me. Enemy attacks A, chooses to attack me instead of A after all; does T get to now defend me? (And, to fully complete the circle, Character A defends T for ultimate sillyness.)

Thanks for your time!
                  Repeating an earlier answer that addresses a more general form of this question:

If you force attackers to overcome the Parry of each individual defender, I think it's going to become impossible to beat for anyone without unblockable attacks. I'd recommend using only the highest Parry value among the defenders, unless that defender wants to defer to another who can use Charms or stuff.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Lunars: Fangs at the Gate being in redlines means the first pass of the book has been totally written, right?

Comment

• Liminals are supposed to be Terrestrial tier, right? Are they going to be better at perma-killing spirits than DBs since their thing is partially supposed to be undead hunting and thus killing ghosts is pretty important to them?

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
                      Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
                      Some Lintha QCs
                      A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Abyssals will regain motes at the rate in the core, yeah? Do they need to drain essence from others, or has that been reworked?

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                          Lunars: Fangs at the Gate being in redlines means the first pass of the book has been totally written, right?
                          Yep, it means we're now going over the first drafts.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
                            Liminals are supposed to be Terrestrial tier, right? Are they going to be better at perma-killing spirits than DBs since their thing is partially supposed to be undead hunting and thus killing ghosts is pretty important to them?
                            They might be better at permanently destroying ghosts, but not all spirits.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Madam Mirror View Post
                              Abyssals will regain motes at the rate in the core, yeah? Do they need to drain essence from others, or has that been reworked?
                              Abyssals respire Essence normally in Creation, and everyone does so normally in the Underworld. They may keep some Essence-draining effects on top of that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post

Repeating an earlier answer that addresses a more general form of this question:

If you force attackers to overcome the Parry of each individual defender, I think it's going to become impossible to beat for anyone without unblockable attacks. I'd recommend using only the highest Parry value among the defenders, unless that defender wants to defer to another who can use Charms or stuff.
                                I tried searching for things related to this question, but couldn't find anything. (Sadly, this thread is far too large to just read through, and "defend" and "defend other" search strings still bring up a lot of results.) Thanks for having that on hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X