Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listening to the Deliberative podcast and sitting down and actually pondering matters, something has me very curious.

OPP has stated that purchasers of the monthly Exalted releases will get some manner of discount based on existing purchases when the final book releases, and presumably if you bought them all it'll auto update to the compiled book.

The question, then, is how big exactly are these books, and how much are they gonna cost? HDNP and AotR have 14 and 9 releases respectively, putting them at $28 and $18 respectively, both of which exceed the stand-alone PDF cost of a book like Arms of the Chosen ($15) and it sounds like neither of the monthly projects are stopping anytime soon.

Is there, at this point, any further information on what exactly the plan is for both these books?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Scion with Shield of Knowledge

Comment

• Has there been any discussion/revelation regarding just what constitutes a bordermarch or middlemarch and what separates them from the Deep Wyld in terms of severity of reality deviation/fluctuation? As an example, what would Wonderland fall under between those three?

Comment

• Is there any special interaction between battlegroups and the slow tag? Do they have to alternately shoot and reload as individuals do, or can they do what's done in real life, where some of them shoot while the others reload allowing them to keep up a constant volley of suppressing fire?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nilihum View Post
          Is there any special interaction between battlegroups and the slow tag? Do they have to alternately shoot and reload as individuals do, or can they do what's done in real life, where some of them shoot while the others reload allowing them to keep up a constant volley of suppressing fire?
          As written, there's no special interaction. Maybe a custom stratagem?

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Frishman View Post
            Has there been any discussion/revelation regarding just what constitutes a bordermarch or middlemarch and what separates them from the Deep Wyld in terms of severity of reality deviation/fluctuation? As an example, what would Wonderland fall under between those three?
            It's something we've discussed, but I'm not quite ready to speak ex cathedra on it.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
              Listening to the Deliberative podcast and sitting down and actually pondering matters, something has me very curious.

OPP has stated that purchasers of the monthly Exalted releases will get some manner of discount based on existing purchases when the final book releases, and presumably if you bought them all it'll auto update to the compiled book.

The question, then, is how big exactly are these books, and how much are they gonna cost? HDNP and AotR have 14 and 9 releases respectively, putting them at $28 and $18 respectively, both of which exceed the stand-alone PDF cost of a book like Arms of the Chosen ($15) and it sounds like neither of the monthly projects are stopping anytime soon.

Is there, at this point, any further information on what exactly the plan is for both these books?
              In terms of size, Meghan Fitzgerald, who's developing those books would know better than I do. Devs don't make pricing-related decisions.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Similar to the question of battle groups employing alternating ranks of shooters, I've often wondered about the question of them having mixed arms.

Do battle groups need to employ a ready weapon action to change what they're attacking with, or if the group is assumed to include a mixture of weapon types, can they just alternate as the situation calls for it? Does a battle group that is assumed to consist of massed spears placed in front of ranks of archers allowed to freely shoot when people are far away and stab when they get close? Does having both mean that the effective range of a battle group is extended for the sake of it's single attack upon everybody in contact with it (i.e. the spears can hit somebody in close range, the bows farther out and all in a single action as per the normal attack resolution for battle groups)? Is it necessary to divide into separate battle groups based on most common weapon type, and have them make their rolls separately? What if it's a size 1 battle group consisting of something like three pikes covering two crossbows?

Or is this just something where realism needs to take a backseat to game balance, whether in the form of "battle groups need to take ready weapon actions to switch between substantially different arms", or even "battle groups should not be assumed to contain a mixture of weapons"?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  Similar to the question of battle groups employing alternating ranks of shooters, I've often wondered about the question of them having mixed arms.

Do battle groups need to employ a ready weapon action to change what they're attacking with, or if the group is assumed to include a mixture of weapon types, can they just alternate as the situation calls for it? Does a battle group that is assumed to consist of massed spears placed in front of ranks of archers allowed to freely shoot when people are far away and stab when they get close? Does having both mean that the effective range of a battle group is extended for the sake of it's single attack upon everybody in contact with it (i.e. the spears can hit somebody in close range, the bows farther out and all in a single action as per the normal attack resolution for battle groups)? Is it necessary to divide into separate battle groups based on most common weapon type, and have them make their rolls separately? What if it's a size 1 battle group consisting of something like three pikes covering two crossbows?

Or is this just something where realism needs to take a backseat to game balance, whether in the form of "battle groups need to take ready weapon actions to switch between substantially different arms", or even "battle groups should not be assumed to contain a mixture of weapons"?
                  Personally, I'd split the archers and the melee troops into separate battle groups. Combined arms are historically pretty powerful, after all.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post

Personally, I'd split the archers and the melee troops into separate battle groups. Combined arms are historically pretty powerful, after all.
                    I thought that was in the rules, one of the guidelines is to split by equipment, no?

Comment

• What's your opinion about Martyr Dragon Blooded charms? Any chance something like them could be included in Ex?

About Lunars, will we see the return of the brain-parasite charm that appeared I think in an Ink Monkeys post? I think that kind of charms were a step towards an interesting direction.

Join the Strife

Comment

• Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                        What's your opinion about Martyr Dragon Blooded charms? Any chance something like them could be included in Ex?
                        Things that require you to die to use them aren't great options for PCs. I try to avoid designing effects that really are only worth taking if you're an NPC.

About Lunars, will we see the return of the brain-parasite charm that appeared I think in an Ink Monkeys post? I think that kind of charms were a step towards an interesting direction.
                        I don't recall a brain parasite Charm ever. Wasp of the Labyrinth Trick, maybe?

Overall, the Ink Monkeys era had a lot of Lunar Charms that, on their own, were pretty darn cool, but that didn't really fit into any cohesive idea of what the Lunar Exalted are, because Second Edition had trouble with that. There's definitely some I'm bringing back, but not all of them can be made to work with Ex3's vision of Lunars.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Are there any thoughts on making a compilation of all the charms, evocations and spells available to us? I'd pay good money to have access to a resource that had all of the charms, evocations and spells of EX3 in one place, with a good index/bookmarks. Since there are already 3 books with charms/evocations for Solars, 2 in the pipeline for the Dragon-Blooded etc etc.

I haven't seen it myself, but I remember reading on these forums many years ago that someone had compiled such a PDF for 2nd Ed and that it was like a thousand pages or something. I own all the 2E books physically and I've bought most if not all the PDFs, but it can still be a hassle to go through several books to find that one elusive charm you're looking for (was it in the core book, Glories Most High or in Lords of Creation...?).

It would be a godsend to have a singular document with all the charms, both for 2nd Ed which I've been STing for like 8 years (I know that this one won't happen, but one can dream) and for EX3.

Comment

• Will the basic (without charms) sacred hunt change substantially with 3rd ed Lunars, or work pretty similarly?

For example, if I'm ambushed by a bear or a Dragonblood or a tyrant lizard and kill it, will I still be unable to gain its form?

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                              Will the basic (without charms) sacred hunt change substantially with 3rd ed Lunars, or work pretty similarly?

For example, if I'm ambushed by a bear or a Dragonblood or a tyrant lizard and kill it, will I still be unable to gain its form?
                              It's not quite the same compared to 2E.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Quasi Mortuus View Post
                                Are there any thoughts on making a compilation of all the charms, evocations and spells available to us? I'd pay good money to have access to a resource that had all of the charms, evocations and spells of EX3 in one place, with a good index/bookmarks. Since there are already 3 books with charms/evocations for Solars, 2 in the pipeline for the Dragon-Blooded etc etc.

I haven't seen it myself, but I remember reading on these forums many years ago that someone had compiled such a PDF for 2nd Ed and that it was like a thousand pages or something. I own all the 2E books physically and I've bought most if not all the PDFs, but it can still be a hassle to go through several books to find that one elusive charm you're looking for (was it in the core book, Glories Most High or in Lords of Creation...?).

It would be a godsend to have a singular document with all the charms, both for 2nd Ed which I've been STing for like 8 years (I know that this one won't happen, but one can dream) and for EX3.
                                We're not currently planning a mechanics omnibus, but at the same time, we're trying not to spread out Solar Charms among as many different books as Second Edition did.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X