X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for Robert Vance, regarding Warstriders.
    • Will I need to invest into Sail or another ability to pilot one?
    • Will they use the same stats for their weapons and armour as what's in the core?
    • Will they have their own clasifications such as Common, Scout, and Royal?
    • Will the still have Ancillary Systems?
    • Will they impede Martial Arts?
    And this one is geared towards Karvara specifically. Is it basically Numidium, in all of its reality-denying-yet-also-reinforcing, dragon-breaking, army-slaying glory?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nilihum View Post
      [*]Will I need to invest into Sail or another ability to pilot one?
      Nah.

[*]Will they use the same stats for their weapons and armour as what's in the core?
      Warstrider weapons use the traits of artifact weapons, despite "just" being things like twenty-foot long greatswords or longbows carved out of a tree. Artifact weapons scaled for warstriders have always been vanishingly rare in all editions of Exalted; they provide Evocations but not any improved stats.

[*]Will they have their own clasifications such as Common, Scout, and Royal?
      Artifact 5 warstriders are referred to as Noble, while Artifact N/A warstriders are Royal.

[*]Will the still have Ancillary Systems?
      Evocations effectively absorbs ancillary systems from past editions.

[*]Will they impede Martial Arts?
      Yes, although there are a few styles compatible with heavy armor that can be used in them. It's also possible that a warstrider might be customized for Martial Arts compatibility, because G Gundam is the best.

And this one is geared towards Karvara specifically. Is it basically Numidium, in all of its reality-denying-yet-also-reinforcing, dragon-breaking, army-slaying glory?
      Karvara is essentially the love child of Numidium and Evangelion 01.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Have you played Moonhunters? Would Mardukth's massive...warmachine be a good model for a War Strider?
        On a related note, can non-essence users pilot warstriders? I'm thinking specifically of sorcerers?

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
        Many Limbed Manual
        Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
        San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
        My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• Robert Vance

Have you played Xenogears for the PS1? The GEARs were always awesome imo... They were a tool of war and transcendent magic and I think it may jive with what is in Creation, with a much toned down technology level, of course, with a big focus on the special ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Warstrider weapons use the traits of artifact weapons, despite "just" being things like twenty-foot long greatswords or longbows carved out of a tree. Artifact weapons scaled for warstriders have always been vanishingly rare in all editions of Exalted; they provide Evocations but not any improved stats.
            So will Warstriders be able to technically swap out Evocations be swapping out their weapons? Will Warstriders also use the stats for artefact armour? Will the Warstrider weapons need to be attuned to or will that be part of the base attunement cost for the Warstrider?

Comment

Karvara is essentially the love child of Numidium and Evangelion 01.
              You do not just tell a man this, knowing that such a thing is out there but not being able to have it yet is the sort of thing that can drive a man to madness!

Also can you tell us if you plan to let the Realm have Royal warstriders? Are they rare enough that some houses would love the idea of snatching one from their fellows because they do not have one of their own?

Comment

As somebody with a character who does use a warstrider's artifact weapon on foot, I'd love to hear as much more about how those evocations compare as you're willing to share.

Iä! Iä! Moe fthagn!

Comment

Yes, although there are a few styles compatible with heavy armor that can be used in them. It's also possible that a warstrider might be customized for Martial Arts compatibility, because G Gundam is the best.
                  Is Erupting Burning Finger an attack, or a Venereal Disease?

Comment

Evocations effectively absorbs ancillary systems from past editions.
                    Sounds like using a Warstrider and weapon will now represent a truly major investment on the part of the player, if they will find it necessary to purchase Evocations for both the weapon and the warstrider itself in order to get the kind of of "baseline" things one might expect from a 30 foot suit of armor and commensurately large weapon. I'm not saying that's bad or a negative, but if a player feels they're required to spend dozens of experience points in order to get the full "warstrider experience" it definitely changes the out-of-game dynamics of warstriders quite a bit from earlier games.

In 1st and 2nd edition, if your character couldn't use their warstrider you might find yourself out a couple of background points. In 3rd edition you could find yourself missing out on a significant chunk of your character's overall capability, if you spent a lot of experience buying Evocations for your warstrider and its' weapons instead of on other things. If an ST isn't running a very warstrider friendly game, the player might end up feeling like he wasted a bunch of experience points on something he isn't getting much use out of.

Warstriders in 3rd edition probably will require a lot more consideration on the part of the player (who will need to invest much more of their character into the warstrider) and on the part of the ST (who may inadvertently upset the player if her game ends up involving too many scenes where the player simply can't make use of the warstrider and weapon they've invested so much into.) Really, it's just important for an ST to remember that once he allows a player to begin investing exp into warstrider Evocations, the player is going to feel like there's an agreement that he'll be able to very frequently use this warstrider that he's invested so much into.

Still, despite that one minor issue that sprung to mind, it seems like this is a pretty interesting and cool way to take warstriders, and as long as players and ST's understand some of the fundamental differences between 3rd edition warstriders and the older edition's so that they go into it with eyes wide open, I think this has a lot of potential to be incredibly cool.

So, consider me pretty hyped!

Comment

• I Don't know if any will appear in the antagonist releases but will you be releasing stats and power level guidelines for wyld things like the Nobles, Hannya and the Ishvara? Would any of these give a solar group any trouble?

Comment

• Is there any niche between normal Noble and Ishvara where you can have a recurring Raksha antagonist worthy of Exalted who isn't necessarily on the plot device/Incarnae level?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• So, is it correct to guess that Warstriders give the Legendary Size merit to whoever pilots them?

Comment

• Something not related to Arms or Dragon-Blooded!

While a Fair Folk book is likely to be more than a couple of years from seeing print, some discussion with a newbie still prompted some thoughts regarding the raksha that I'd like to see addressed.

1) The "characters in combat recover 5m/turn" bit is supposed to extend to them as well, yes? I see no reason to assume otherwise, except…
                            2) 1e and 2e had this whole spiel about Fair Folk having a whole list of restrictions regarding how they might recover Essence, and risking calcification otherwise. In light of the assumptions of the new edition, this feels like it might be in need of revision as well. What are your thoughts on the matter?
                            3) If how they recover Essence is changing, shouldn't the rewards for ravishing mortals likewise be retooled?
                            4) If a raksha's hunger is just a matter of getting enough Essence, I suspect having a Lore-Supernal Twilight ally with all the Essence-Lending Charms would be like owning a huge candy bar factory. Is there any reason this shouldn't happen?
                            5) Assuming that an option akin to "Banquet of Crumbs" still exists in Ex3 (perhaps tied to expressions of Major+ Intimacies for feeding purposes instead of Virtues), will it be sufficient to permit a raksha to live in Creation, or will they have to occasionally batten themselves with stolen wisps of soul?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Something not related to Arms or Dragon-Blooded!

While a Fair Folk book is likely to be more than a couple of years from seeing print, some discussion with a newbie still prompted some thoughts regarding the raksha that I'd like to see addressed.

1) The "characters in combat recover 5m/turn" bit is supposed to extend to them as well, yes? I see no reason to assume otherwise, except…
                              2) 1e and 2e had this whole spiel about Fair Folk having a whole list of restrictions regarding how they might recover Essence, and risking calcification otherwise. In light of the assumptions of the new edition, this feels like it might be in need of revision as well. What are your thoughts on the matter?
                              3) If how they recover Essence is changing, shouldn't the rewards for ravishing mortals likewise be retooled?
                              4) If a raksha's hunger is just a matter of getting enough Essence, I suspect having a Lore-Supernal Twilight ally with all the Essence-Lending Charms would be like owning a huge candy bar factory. Is there any reason this shouldn't happen?
                              5) Assuming that an option akin to "Banquet of Crumbs" still exists in Ex3 (perhaps tied to expressions of Major+ Intimacies for feeding purposes instead of Virtues), will it be sufficient to permit a raksha to live in Creation, or will they have to occasionally batten themselves with stolen wisps of soul?
                              Ravishing and calcification will probably exist on an entirely separate axis from the raksha's mote pool, for the same reason that shadowlands no longer shut down mote recovery—not being able to use your cool stuff is punishingly unfun.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Maybe that's what Gossamer could become?

Comment

Working...
                                X