Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you take martial arts do you get an excellency for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      Assuming you're referring to Yu-Shan's human population,
      Sorry, what? There are mortals in heaven?

Comment

• Originally posted by Daeth View Post
        If you take martial arts do you get an excellency for it?

Not a Dev, however this is answered in the core book. Pages 255 and/or 341.

Comment

• Originally posted by ale137 View Post

Sorry, what? There are mortals in heaven?
          Descendants of Dragon-Blooded who remained in Yu-Shan after the Divine Revolution.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Nono, I was referring to Heaven's Dragons specifically; would they have a preference for actively being a secret from their Terrestrial cousins, or have a disdainful and slightly isolationist attitude towards them, or is their being unknown in the world basically an accident that they don't go out of their way to correct?
            Probably varies from individual to individual, though I doubt it comes up but rarely.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I have a slightly eccentric question, which wanders a little bit between setting and developer intent. It's specifically for Vance, as I seem to recall that you wrote sorcerous workings and can speak to intent. Sorcerous workings are explicitly mentioned as not being able to be undone. They can be opposed or canceled out, but never simply reversed. I was curious about the in and out of setting reasons for that, as I think they set precident for the power balance in the game in a significant way.

Let us suppose that an npc uses a sorcerous working to turn a solar into a cat. They can then use their characters own sorcerous working to turn themselves into a humanoid form, which presumably would make them into a cat-person. That's probably a fair amount of supernatural merits they just acquired, while still changing their character in a way they may feel is incredibly inappropriate. A very mixed result depending on the person in question. If the NPC sorcerer just turned the subject into a more powerful version of themselves, that negates the purpose (and cost) of the npc. They get back their xp, mostly irrelevant for an npc, but the player may still be disturbed and have their investment in the game damaged. And/Or the player has received a number of merits for free. And how does this situation change if the curse is broken through Destiny Manifesting Method from the Integrity charms (or any other method) rather than opposing sorcery? And it seems to negate the idea of a player taking a very high finesse and saying that they wish to exactly reverse the effects of the hostile working.

From the story side, I feel like this phrasing implies two (mutually exclusive) things at the same time.

(1. The working is a permanent change to reality. Whatever the sorcerer did, it is now the natural course of the universe, not sorcery at all, and that is why they cannot be dispelled or directly unwoven.

(2. The working is an active effect, one that prevents itself from being subverted, and that is why it cannot be reversed.

So, I don't understand how this clause is justified in the fiction of the setting. And, I'm not sure I understand the design reasons for putting it in. Would you be willing to explain what the thinking behind that was, and how you might address some of those potential conflicts in game?

Comment

Descendants of Dragon-Blooded who remained in Yu-Shan after the Divine Revolution.
                Huh; I had not given any consideration to the fact that of course a population of Dragon Blooded would necessarily include a portion of unExalted scions. I kept seeing them uncritically as 100% Exalted.

Mind, I assume Yu-Shan also has a not inconsiderable number of mortals brought up because a god took a shine to them?

Originally posted by Robert Vance
                Probably varies from individual to individual, though I doubt it comes up but rarely.

So you might occasionally get one of Heaven's Dragons who wholeheartedly welcomes a visitor and lets them stay over as a guest and tells them stories (which their fellow Exalted will have different feelings about), but Dragon Blooded visitors are so uncommon that this isn't enough for anybody to return widely spreading stories about a colony of Exalted residing in Yu-Shan?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Given their constant diet of celestial foodstuffs, how much longer on average do Dragon-Blooded residing in Yu-Shan live than their terrestrial counterparts?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Given their constant diet of celestial foodstuffs, how much longer on average do Dragon-Blooded residing in Yu-Shan live than their terrestrial counterparts?
                    I wouldn't assume they have consistent access to celestial wine or peaches of immortality.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I wouldn't assume they have consistent access to celestial wine or peaches of immortality.
                      So are these two the only heavenly products that can affect one's lifespan in Ex3?

(Exalted: the Sidereals stated that just about any food from Yu-Shan could add to one's lifespan; the peaches were simply the most potent. But if we're axing that, that's fine by me.)

Comment

• Originally posted by nihnoz View Post
                        Since I'm on a kick of questions that will probably get shunted to the Errata thread, what's the weapon profile of Sekhem's Bayonet? The description of firewands in core suggests medium, but the (Close +1, +14 DMG) bit in Arms suggests Heavy.
                        I didn't see an answer for this anywhere, but it seems somewhat important to cover!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                          So are these two the only heavenly products that can affect one's lifespan in Ex3?

(Exalted: the Sidereals stated that just about any food from Yu-Shan could add to one's lifespan; the peaches were simply the most potent. But if we're axing that, that's fine by me.)
                          Wasn't that limited to salary 3+? Would a DB's in Yu-shan be getting a salary?

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                            Wasn't that limited to salary 3+?
                            Nah, man, check the 1e Sidereals book, p. 27-28. Even the lowliest bread in Heaven was sufficient to set your aging down to half its normal rate while it made up your diet..

Comment

• So, I guess this will come up in Heirs of the Shogunate, but since that's a while off: what, generally, do the dragonblooded and mortals who live in heaven do?

And what happens if one of the mortals exalts as a solar or lunar?

Comment

• You aren't a developer, no one asked you to answer questions. This thread is for developer answers only. Darksider
                                Last edited by Darksider; 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X