X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flame-Flicker Stance from Fire Dragon Style states "In Fire Aura, there’s no limit on how many of her attacker’s 1s the Immaculate can benefit from.".

Does this mean the same as this being a non-Charm bonus to Parry with no effective limit (except for 1s rolled)?

Comment

• So I do have a question. Is it possible for a sidereal to gain a godly familiar that was already a god without a purview. I know people used to do it but I would like to know the limitation of the charms.

Also, will astrological charms be back. I personally hope not but if they are it'd be nice if they were somewhat usable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Knocked prone=nothing extra. A prone combatant can grapple an upright one, both in the system and in real life.

Heaven Thunder Hammer: Depends on whether the Storyteller thinks the grappled victim should get sent flying along with the grappler or not. If they do—which is the way I would run it—then the clinch continues. If not, then there's no way for the grappler to maintain the clinch from however far away.
        So if a Dragon-Blood uses Rolling Boulder Blow or the striking version of Firmament-Shattering Impact against an opponent they are clinching, you would personally allow the grappler to go flying along with the victim?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
          So I just noticed something weird about the Dragon Blood excellency.

In regards to boosting static values a Dragon Blood can add up to [Ability + specialty]/2 round up. Now two things jump out at me. First, static values such as evasion, and parry don't add a specialty when they're calculated. So a DB with Dex 2 + Melee 4 + Specialty (swords) would still only have a parry of 3 (barring defense bonus from weapon). Similarly, if you had the same DB with Dodge 4 + specialty (avoiding arrows) your dodge would still only be 3.

In both these cases, the DB can add up to [ability + specialty]/2 Round Up to their defense. So they'd have a defense of 6 since they can add up to [4+1]/2 = 3(rounded up). Is this the only benefit of having a specialty in dodge?

The second thing I notice is that when calculating the dice cap DB round UP when figuring out their cap. In the core, this was previously round DOWN (and every exalt type presented rounds down). Was this something that was changed in playtesting? Was it an intentional move?

I'm assuming the decision to round down for static value cap in the core was to make sure if your solar had Attribute 3 + Ability 4 + specialty your total Static Value potential would be 7 instead of 8.

As per the Core, a similarly built DB would have a SV potential of 6 due to rounding down, but from WFhW it would be 7 because they'd round up instead.

In the interests of clarity, in all three cases, the unmodified SV would be 4.
          Wait, specialties don't count for static values? Is that right? So my Integrity speciality is basically useless?

My characters:
          Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
          Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng
          Shadow of Kings, Twilight barbarian scholar, master of lost First Age crafting techniques. Has a lot of clones. Picture by Jen.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Wait, specialties don't count for static values? Is that right? So my Integrity speciality is basically useless?
            Page 194

"Any applicable specialties add +1 to the calculation before
            dividing by two and rounding up. Thus, an unarmored
            character with Dexterity 3, Dodge 3, and an “Unarmored”
            specialty would have Evasion 4."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
              So if a Dragon-Blood uses Rolling Boulder Blow or the striking version of Firmament-Shattering Impact against an opponent they are clinching, you would personally allow the grappler to go flying along with the victim?
              Yes, although Storytellers that aren't down with the way that violates physics would be just as correct if not more in disallowing it.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
                So I do have a question. Is it possible for a sidereal to gain a godly familiar that was already a god without a purview. I know people used to do it but I would like to know the limitation of the charms.
                I'm not sure that would fit the logic of Ride Charms that elevate familiars to divine status.

Also, will astrological charms be back. I personally hope not but if they are it'd be nice if they were somewhat usable.
                Not as a separate class of Charms. Some may get folded into the Charmset.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Aleks View Post
                  Flame-Flicker Stance from Fire Dragon Style states "In Fire Aura, there’s no limit on how many of her attacker’s 1s the Immaculate can benefit from.".

Does this mean the same as this being a non-Charm bonus to Parry with no effective limit (except for 1s rolled)?
                  No, just that you aren't capped at benefiting from (Essence) 1s as you are with standard uses.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                    So I just noticed something weird about the Dragon Blood excellency.

In regards to boosting static values a Dragon Blood can add up to [Ability + specialty]/2 round up. Now two things jump out at me. First, static values such as evasion, and parry don't add a specialty when they're calculated. So a DB with Dex 2 + Melee 4 + Specialty (swords) would still only have a parry of 3 (barring defense bonus from weapon). Similarly, if you had the same DB with Dodge 4 + specialty (avoiding arrows) your dodge would still only be 3.
                    As has been noted, you do add specialties to the dice pool used to calculate static values.

The second thing I notice is that when calculating the dice cap DB round UP when figuring out their cap. In the core, this was previously round DOWN (and every exalt type presented rounds down). Was this something that was changed in playtesting? Was it an intentional move?
                    It's an error that'll be fixed in the final draft.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Knurlurzhad View Post
                      Would a battlegroup of zombies have Might 1(lightly touched by the supernatural)? For this question, I'm assuming that they are only animate. The necromancer who raised them hasen't given them any additional "oomph", which in my mind makes them the same as regular humans just already dead. Am I correct in that assumption?
                      I'd say yes.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by GenericMaleNPC01 View Post
                        A familiar question....
                        If a PC has a familiar, does the storyteller control said familiar or is it up to the player to do so? And in the case of the former, should the familiars stats be kept hidden from the player?
                        It can vary based on several factors. For more intelligent familiars, like god-blooded animals or mice of the sun, the player should always be able to determine their actions, and even with ordinary animals, the Storyteller may just want to offload the work of deciding what they do onto the player they belong to. Nothing wrong with that.

Familiar stats shouldn't be kept hidden from players.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkuwa View Post
                          Any idea what Revana Quin's or Strawmaiden Janest's would be?
                          Not in detail, though I can tell you that neither of them has a caste.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

Page 194

"Any applicable specialties add +1 to the calculation before
                            dividing by two and rounding up. Thus, an unarmored
                            character with Dexterity 3, Dodge 3, and an “Unarmored”
                            specialty would have Evasion 4."
                            *muted grumbling*

Can this be added to the list of things to errata? Both Guile and Resolve add the 'specialty' directly into the calculation both in the Systems and Conflict Chapter and more importantly in the quick reference part at the bottom of the Character sheet on page 635. Parry and Dodge DO NOT.

That is, if errata for the Core ever becomes a thing.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              I'm not sure that would fit the logic of Ride Charms that elevate familiars to divine status.
                              Simply because you could get divine familiars I figured uplifting a destitute god wouldn't be beyond it.

Comment

• Lets say I am using Seven thunders voice to make an attack and I am essence 5. I am facing an abyssal and they have a aura that give me -5 dice. I would like to roll the attack against them with a full excellency and no automatic successes as I am hoping to get lucky with double 9s and rerolling 1s.

Do I end up having 15 dice as the -5 is taken from my base stats and all the bonuses in the world dont matter?

If not am I able to sacrifice a auto success that I am discarding as the penalties is being applied?

If Not can I spend more motes to get back up to the dice cap to roll 20 dice again?

Lets say Instead I am Essence 6 and have essence automatic successes and something is giving me a single - success. Does My extra automatic success that is removed by the dice cap remove the penalty?

Comment

Working...
                                X