This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I'm not sure that would fit the logic of Ride Charms that elevate familiars to divine status.
    Simply because you could get divine familiars I figured uplifting a destitute god wouldn't be beyond it.

Comment

• Lets say I am using Seven thunders voice to make an attack and I am essence 5. I am facing an abyssal and they have a aura that give me -5 dice. I would like to roll the attack against them with a full excellency and no automatic successes as I am hoping to get lucky with double 9s and rerolling 1s.

Do I end up having 15 dice as the -5 is taken from my base stats and all the bonuses in the world dont matter?

If not am I able to sacrifice a auto success that I am discarding as the penalties is being applied?

If Not can I spend more motes to get back up to the dice cap to roll 20 dice again?

Lets say Instead I am Essence 6 and have essence automatic successes and something is giving me a single - success. Does My extra automatic success that is removed by the dice cap remove the penalty?

Comment

• Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
        Lets say I am using Seven thunders voice to make an attack and I am essence 5. I am facing an abyssal and they have a aura that give me -5 dice. I would like to roll the attack against them with a full excellency and no automatic successes as I am hoping to get lucky with double 9s and rerolling 1s.

Do I end up having 15 dice as the -5 is taken from my base stats and all the bonuses in the world dont matter?

If not am I able to sacrifice a auto success that I am discarding as the penalties is being applied?

If Not can I spend more motes to get back up to the dice cap to roll 20 dice again?

Lets say Instead I am Essence 6 and have essence automatic successes and something is giving me a single - success. Does My extra automatic success that is removed by the dice cap remove the penalty?
        Penalties don't really interact much with dice caps. If you've spent enough to hit your dice cap, you're at your cap, and you can't get any further Charm dice/successes over that. If a penalty takes a chunk out of your total dice pool, that doesn't let you add anything extra.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
          Simply because you could get divine familiars I figured uplifting a destitute god wouldn't be beyond it.
          It's not necessarily impossible, but it'd have to be done in a way that fits the themes of the constellation and scripture of the Ability it belongs to.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

It's not necessarily impossible, but it'd have to be done in a way that fits the themes of the constellation and scripture of the Ability it belongs to.
            I suppose that does make sense. I always took Ride to be a means of uplifting beings for a higher purpose and then it also had a few actual ride charms. However, the focus of the charmset always seemed to be uplifting beings for a purpose and to also be servants to sidereals. Mortals become acquaintances to help sidereals. Familiars become gods. Familiars and acquaintances then sacrifice themselves for the greater good and become lesser elemental dragons to help the sidereal accomplish a major mission.

I suppose a better question would be is if you get a god or an elemental as a familiar and you use sidereal charms on them to give them more power do they still grow in power and can they still gain their own power and influence within the celestial bureaucracy?
            Last edited by Epimetheus; 08-17-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epimetheus View Post
              I suppose that does make sense. I always took Ride to be a means of uplifting beings for a higher purpose and then it also had a few actual ride charms. However, the focus of the charmset always seemed to be uplifting beings for a purpose and to also be servants to sidereals. Mortals become acquaintances to help sidereals. Familiars become gods. Familiars and acquaintances then sacrifice themselves for the greater good and become lesser elemental dragons to help the sidereal accomplish a major mission.

I suppose a better question would be is if you get a god or an elemental as a familiar and you use sidereal charms on them to give them more power do they still grow in power and can they still gain their own power and influence within the celestial bureaucracy?
              There's nothing that necessarily stops them. Having to spend a bunch of time tagging along with a Sidereal on missions is probably detrimental to your progress within a bureaucracy; having a Sidereal devote a big chunk of her time to political maneuvering to try and get you a promotion is probably beneficial.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

There's nothing that necessarily stops them. Having to spend a bunch of time tagging along with a Sidereal on missions is probably detrimental to your progress within a bureaucracy; having a Sidereal devote a big chunk of her time to political maneuvering to try and get you a promotion is probably beneficial.
                Would that mean that being in such a weird position that they can technically violate the creation ruling mandate by being the sidereal's familiar?

Comment

• My group is having a discussion around the wording of Initiative Shifting.

The passage from the book is;

Initiative Shift
                  While suffering Initiative Crash, if you are able to Crash
                  the opponent who Crashed you, you instantly return to
                  base Initiative (unless this would cause you to lose Initiative)
                  and make a Join Battle roll, adding the result to your
                  Initiative. Your turn is then refreshed: any combat or movement
                  actions you have used that turn are reset, allowing
                  you to act again, immediately; however, should this
                  renewed action be used to attack, you can only attack the
                  character you Shifted against.
                  The way I read it, what it says is that if you crash an opponent who crashed you, you simply get an extra turn immediately, for instance, if you crash someone attacking you by using Iron Kettle Body on the turn after their Decisive Attack, you then get an attack, then get your attack,

The way others are reading it, it says if you Crash someone on your attack, you get another one, but if you crash them using Iron Kettle Body when they attack you, you do not get the extra turn.

Which is correct? Or at least which way would you adjudicate it even if your response is going to be 'up to the storyteller'

Comment

• Originally posted by Flare View Post
                    My group is having a discussion around the wording of Initiative Shifting.

The passage from the book is;

The way I read it, what it says is that if you crash an opponent who crashed you, you simply get an extra turn immediately, for instance, if you crash someone attacking you by using Iron Kettle Body on the turn after their Decisive Attack, you then get an attack, then get your attack,

The way others are reading it, it says if you Crash someone on your attack, you get another one, but if you crash them using Iron Kettle Body when they attack you, you do not get the extra turn.

Which is correct? Or at least which way would you adjudicate it even if your response is going to be 'up to the storyteller'
                    If you crash someone outside of your regular turn, I'd let you immediately take the actions normally granted by an Initiative Shift.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I could misunderstand, but I have this idea that the freelancer submission process is not just a way to maybe get "hired" as a freelance writer, but also a way to give away content to Onyx Path so that (if they like it) they can make it official canon material without needing to pay anyone and while avoiding legal jeopardy.

I asked, but do not think I received a clear answer, about whether posting the content publicly on the forums would hurt the chances of submitted content being accepted and published.

Holden wrote various Styles that he posted online, and it seems they could only have become officially printed canon material because he was employed by Onyx Path at some point and maybe signed away his intellectual property in an official capacity.

I try very hard to write Martial Arts Styles for the game while seeking as little public help or workshopping as possible for that reason, but I'm just not good enough on my own, and I'm getting tired.

Your job is very, very hard. I'm glad you're good at it.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                        I could misunderstand, but I have this idea that the freelancer submission process is not just a way to maybe get "hired" as a freelance writer, but also a way to give away content to Onyx Path so that (if they like it) they can make it official canon material without needing to pay anyone and while avoiding legal jeopardy.

I asked, but do not think I received a clear answer, about whether posting the content publicly on the forums would hurt the chances of submitted content being accepted and published.

Holden wrote various Styles that he posted online, and it seems they could only have become officially printed canon material because he was employed by Onyx Path at some point and maybe signed away his intellectual property in an official capacity.

I try very hard to write Martial Arts Styles for the game while seeking as little public help or workshopping as possible for that reason, but I'm just not good enough on my own, and I'm getting tired.

Your job is very, very hard. I'm glad you're good at it.
                        I’m sorry, and I may be misunderstanding, but did you just accuse us of having put a process in place to deliberately steal ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by RichT View Post
                          I’m sorry, and I may be misunderstanding, but did you just accuse us of having put a process in place to deliberately steal ideas?
                          No? I apologize if I've given that impression.

I meant to say that I had the idea that a fan could use the process to willingly and enthusiastically surrender ownership of intellectual property to Onyx Path, as a gift that the company was free to refuse. Especially if it was no good.

Like, "I already have a job and couldn't be a freelance writer, but I already wrote this thing, and if you like it, you can have it."

I really hope I'm not digging myself deeper into a hole here. I'm confused.

Comment

I meant to say that I had the idea that a fan could use the process to willingly and enthusiastically surrender ownership of intellectual property to Onyx Path, as a gift that the company was free to refuse. Especially if it was no good.

Like, "I already have a job and couldn't be a freelance writer, but I already wrote this thing, and if you like it, you can have it."

It doesn't work that way. We're not gonna publish someone's work without paying them.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Well, I’m glad it was just that I read that wrong - we take those sorts of things very seriously. Thanks!

Comment

It doesn't work that way. We're not gonna publish someone's work without paying them.
                                Originally posted by RichT View Post
                                Well, I’m glad it was just that I read that wrong - we take those sorts of things very seriously. Thanks!
                                I'm breathing a sigh of relief that there is no problem.

But still, what is the policy about submitting stuff and posting the same stuff online?

Comment

Working...
                                X