Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I think maybe there's some stuff a Storyteller might allow at the Terrestrial level.
    Like predicting the weather?


    I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

    Comment


    • Can Godblodded become full on gods with time?


      I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

      Comment


      • Do you have any particular intention to change how the Shogunate has been presented? I mean, there never was a ton about it, so anything new you mention might be a change to its presentation, but with the High First Age you seem to have deliberately changed its presentation quite a lot; less unified, less complete Solar control, less magitech, more historical change and development, etc. Do you have similar plans for the Shgounate?


        "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
          Can Godblodded become full on gods with time?
          Undetermined.


          Developer for Exalted

          Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

          Robert Vance's Patreon

          Comment


          • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
            Do you have any particular intention to change how the Shogunate has been presented? I mean, there never was a ton about it, so anything new you mention might be a change to its presentation, but with the High First Age you seem to have deliberately changed its presentation quite a lot; less unified, less complete Solar control, less magitech, more historical change and development, etc. Do you have similar plans for the Shgounate?
            I can't think of any deliberate changes we're making, although the general paucity of Shogunate material in the past might be making that difficult.


            Developer for Exalted

            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

            Robert Vance's Patreon

            Comment


            • What about being limited to essence 3? Is that still a thing or can they go higher?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                I can't think of any deliberate changes we're making, although the general paucity of Shogunate material in the past might be making that difficult.
                Sure.

                In very broad terms, how advanced and peaceful/wrecked by civil war and infighting do you think of the very end of the Shogunate?


                What I'm wondering is that if you were born 20 years before the Great Contagion, lived in a peasant village as a farmer, survived the Contagion and Balorian Crusade... is your life 10 years after the Contagion far worse (because the government has collapsed, public services are wrecked, bandits are everywhere because there's no more magic-blessed policemen, all the magical stuff the Dragonblood used to do is gone, and half the stuff you used to buy from merchants is no longer available because trade has collapsed), or, other than the fact 100 people live in your village instead of 1000, is it pretty similar (because your "government" was pretty much marauding armies anyway before the Contagion, there were beastmen bandits sent in by Lunars anyway, and there was no trade because there was so much civil war).#

                Essentially, is the transition from pre-Contagion to post-Contagion just a particularly bad spot in a decline that was already happening (like the fall of Rome) or a total destruction of what, while it may not have been at its height, was still a mighty civilisation (like how people imagine the fall of Rome).

                (I ask this because I'm thinking of playing a character who exalted during the Great Contagion or Balorian Crusade, in an area that didn't vanish into the Wyld as it was near Ember, and I wonder if the society he grew up in is supposed to be radically different from how things are now, or it just had a much bigger population. Is he looking at the world and thinking "this world is just a barbarian ruin compared to my childhood" or were the last days of the Shogunate already like this anyway.)
                Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 09-28-2018, 12:38 PM.


                "Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

                Comment


                • How does a solars anima interact with physical barriers? If i go iconic in a close range size air tight room does my iconic display seep through the walls?

                  Comment


                  • I don't quite understand where are the approximate borders of the Hundred Kingdoms region lie. Is there any canon about this? How large is the region itself, how far north and south it spreads (as for width, I suppose it's about from Nexus to Lesser Rock River)?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      Essentially, is the transition from pre-Contagion to post-Contagion just a particularly bad spot in a decline that was already happening (like the fall of Rome) or a total destruction of what, while it may not have been at its height, was still a mighty civilisation (like how people imagine the fall of Rome).
                      Somewhere in between. The Shogunate was wracked by internal warring to a very real extent, but the Contagion resulted in mass destruction of infrastructure beyond what had come before, paired with a massive loss of institutional memory from those who died of the plague and its aftermath.

                      The "Records of the Before" chapters in the 1e Aspect books remain the best available resource for the Shogunate.


                      Developer for Exalted.

                      Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Aleksay View Post
                        I don't quite understand where are the approximate borders of the Hundred Kingdoms region lie. Is there any canon about this? How large is the region itself, how far north and south it spreads (as for width, I suppose it's about from Nexus to Lesser Rock River)?
                        The specifics are ambiguous because it's a description rather than a political entity; whether or not any given state is a part of the Hundred Kingdoms depends on who you ask. But a good rough guideline is the area between the Lesser Rock River and the eastern Yellow River, so the area bounded by Nathir, Marita, Greyfalls, and Mist Island. We'll provide more detail in Across the Eight Directions.


                        Developer for Exalted.

                        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                          The specifics are ambiguous because it's a description rather than a political entity; whether or not any given state is a part of the Hundred Kingdoms depends on who you ask. But a good rough guideline is the area between the Lesser Rock River and the eastern Yellow River, so the area bounded by Nathir, Marita, Greyfalls, and Mist Island. We'll provide more detail in Across the Eight Directions.
                          Thank you, but I'm still not quite sure. In the 'Compass of Terrestrial Directions: the Scavenger's Land' there was written that Desandor lies "in the heart of the HK". And in the 'Compass of Terrestrial Directions: the East' is stated that the Republic of Chaya is the neighbour of the HK. So the region between Sandy River and Grey River should be the southern part of the HK. But the northern part is still not clear. What about Mount Metagalapa? The River of Tears? The Avarice River? The Silver River? Considering these the region could be enormous or not so.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Aleksay View Post

                            Thank you, but I'm still not quite sure. In the 'Compass of Terrestrial Directions: the Scavenger's Land' there was written that Desandor lies "in the heart of the HK". And in the 'Compass of Terrestrial Directions: the East' is stated that the Republic of Chaya is the neighbour of the HK. So the region between Sandy River and Grey River should be the southern part of the HK. But the northern part is still not clear. What about Mount Metagalapa? The River of Tears? The Avarice River? The Silver River? Considering these the region could be enormous or not so.
                            I'm talking specifically about Third Edition, for which Second Edition books do not apply as references.


                            Developer for Exalted.

                            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                              I'm talking specifically about Third Edition, for which Second Edition books do not apply as references.
                              Okay, so if I understand right, "the area bounded by Nathir, Marita, Greyfalls, and Mist Island" is the core of the HK, they're less then hundred of them there, but they belong to it for sure. The rest are more then hundred, but their status is arguable, depending on their trade, political and war alliances with the core kingdoms. Right?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by WalkingEye View Post
                                How does a solars anima interact with physical barriers? If i go iconic in a close range size air tight room does my iconic display seep through the walls?
                                I think it's possible that a sufficiently dense and seamless barrier could obstruct the light of an anima banner. I'll leave the question of "how much is sufficient" up to the individual Storyteller, instead of rambling on about various construction materials. In my game, if you're in an underground cavern miles below the earth, yeah, your anima won't shine through that, but a generic wooden building or brick wall is gonna get shone through.


                                Developer for Exalted

                                Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                                Robert Vance's Patreon

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X