Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask the Devs

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Black Claw is all fun and games, until you get eaten by a Tyrant Lizard.
    This is not supposed to answer any question. But it is true.

    Comment


    • im very sorry if this has been asked before, but i'm looking for some clarification on influence and backing, these are the two merits that deal with participation in organizations and seem to provide different things and have different restrictions.

      My Take:
      Influence
      • represents either one's position in a major organization or the size of an organization that you are in charge of.
      • does not inherently provide you with items such as resources, followers, military, but represents the scope of your organization with the larger size to be expected to be able to generate some of these merits
      • other than that also represents unnamed features of the organization, like your workers and everything, of which you are responsible towards, and have to put work into maintaining
      • gives the character social clout
      Backing
      • represents only your position within an organization
      • provides all of the things that influence does without the character having to take these merits themselves, but they belong to the organization, and as such could be denied to you.
      • still provides social clout but it is secondary and only offered through peoples feelings for the organization.
      i'm asking because i am making an organization and trying to figure out what i need to do to build it up, and also how would one stat out an organization that they are making?

      thankyou so much for your help on clarifying this, it's greatly appreciated.


      Comment


      • Originally posted by norraba View Post
        im very sorry if this has been asked before, but i'm looking for some clarification on influence and backing, these are the two merits that deal with participation in organizations and seem to provide different things and have different restrictions.

        My Take:
        Influence
        • represents either one's position in a major organization or the size of an organization that you are in charge of.
        • does not inherently provide you with items such as resources, followers, military, but represents the scope of your organization with the larger size to be expected to be able to generate some of these merits
        • other than that also represents unnamed features of the organization, like your workers and everything, of which you are responsible towards, and have to put work into maintaining
        • gives the character social clout
        Backing
        • represents only your position within an organization
        • provides all of the things that influence does without the character having to take these merits themselves, but they belong to the organization, and as such could be denied to you.
        • still provides social clout but it is secondary and only offered through peoples feelings for the organization.
        i'm asking because i am making an organization and trying to figure out what i need to do to build it up, and also how would one stat out an organization that they are making?

        thankyou so much for your help on clarifying this, it's greatly appreciated.
        Influence does not represent a position with an organization, but your prominence in society. A legendary singer or war hero might have high Influence throughout the region because of their fame, but no Backing. A bureaucrat might have high Backing because of the importance of the duties she performs, but no Influence because no one outside the office knows her name.


        Developer for Exalted

        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

        Robert Vance's Patreon

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          Influence does not represent a position with an organization, but your prominence in society. A legendary singer or war hero might have high Influence throughout the region because of their fame, but no Backing. A bureaucrat might have high Backing because of the importance of the duties she performs, but no Influence because no one outside the office knows her name.
          Wow that's very different than what I understood, thanks so much for the clarification.

          So then I guess I would need to ask is what merit would represent having an organization that you are the head of, given that backing is specifically for an organization that you are a part of but not one that you lead, or does being the head of an organization not need a merit?

          And from both a story teller and player perspective, should an organization have its own stats?
          Last edited by norraba; 04-30-2017, 09:34 PM.


          Comment


          • Originally posted by norraba View Post
            Wow that's very different than what I understood, thanks so much for the clarification.

            So then I guess I would need to ask is what merit would represent having an organization that you are the head of, given that backing is specifically for an organization that you are a part of but not one that you lead, or does being the head of an organization not need a merit?
            If you want to lead an organization, you're probably going to want some combination of Influence, Command and/or Followers to provide members, and Resources to maintain costs. Roughly similar to what you'd take to be a ship's captain or the leader of a mercenary company.

            And from both a story teller and player perspective, should an organization have its own stats?
            That was something we explored early in Ex3's design, with the updated Creation-Ruling Mandate, and ultimately discarded, for numerous reasons. I think trying to inject those into your game will simply create complexity with little reward. Could be wrong, though!


            Developer for Exalted

            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

            Robert Vance's Patreon

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              If you want to lead an organization, you're probably going to want some combination of Influence, Command and/or Followers to provide members, and Resources to maintain costs. Roughly similar to what you'd take to be a ship's captain or the leader of a mercenary company.
              This is good to hear, and this is what I have already been doing to represent the organization that my character is playing, so it seems like I'm going in a good direction already thankyou.

              The only issue I'd have is how to represent the students in my organization, but I suppose that they being unskilled bodies and incapable of being represented by followers who's scale only goes up to 100, they don't necessarily need to be represented in merits.

              Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              That was something we explored early in Ex3's design, with the updated Creation-Ruling Mandate, and ultimately discarded, for numerous reasons. I think trying to inject those into your game will simply create complexity with little reward. Could be wrong, though!
              That's very interesting to hear that this is something the team was considering, and thankyou for the advice regarding it.


              On a separate question, I understand that artifacts in the setting now all have a god of their specific artifact, would it be possible for the god of an artifact to expand their territory beyond the artifact itself and manifest themselves as a god of creation?


              Comment


              • Does your character have Soul-Light Spreading Discipline, from Miracles? It says the following:

                "In case you are wondering, for the hypothetical purposes of this Charm, Followers 4 reflects 1000+ followers, while Followers 5 reflects 5000+."

                So, if you are gathering students with Legendary Scholar Curriculum, you can plant a lot Intimacies, and gather a lot of followers. And through the Followers, Cult.

                If you don't want to attract attention, ask the ST if they agree to use that guideline, and gather followers without SLSD (Super LSD? lol) and gain no Cult. It could be represent by people that believe in your ideals but don't consider you a god, but a hero, patron, protector, depending on the Intimacies you sow.

                EDIT: An additional effect of LSC is that you don't have to hold the Intimacy you plant, so you can have the Intimacies be tied to ideals, organizations, etc... There are too many ways to play this, so I won't ramble on cause its a Ask the Devs thread.
                Last edited by TGUEIROS; 04-30-2017, 11:46 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by norraba View Post
                  On a separate question, I understand that artifacts in the setting now all have a god of their specific artifact
                  That is not the case.


                  Developer for Exalted.

                  Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                    That is not the case.
                    well this actually makes things easier for me thankyou

                    Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                    Does your character have Soul-Light Spreading Discipline, from Miracles? It says the following:

                    "In case you are wondering, for the hypothetical purposes of this Charm, Followers 4 reflects 1000+ followers, while Followers 5 reflects 5000+."

                    So, if you are gathering students with Legendary Scholar Curriculum, you can plant a lot Intimacies, and gather a lot of followers. And through the Followers, Cult.

                    If you don't want to attract attention, ask the ST if they agree to use that guideline, and gather followers without SLSD (Super LSD? lol) and gain no Cult. It could be represent by people that believe in your ideals but don't consider you a god, but a hero, patron, protector, depending on the Intimacies you sow.

                    EDIT: An additional effect of LSC is that you don't have to hold the Intimacy you plant, so you can have the Intimacies be tied to ideals, organizations, etc... There are too many ways to play this, so I won't ramble on cause its a Ask the Devs thread.
                    i will present this as a possibility to my st, i'm not terribly interested in forming a cult but the ability to get around the hundred follower cap would be nice.


                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by norraba View Post
                      On a separate question, I understand that artifacts in the setting now all have a god of their specific artifact, would it be possible for the god of an artifact to expand their territory beyond the artifact itself and manifest themselves as a god of creation?
                      It is written that evocations are gained by establishing a spiritual rapport with the wonder. This is not a connection with some god or spirit managing the artefact, but rather with the very artefact itself.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by norraba View Post
                        well this actually makes things easier for me thankyou



                        i will present this as a possibility to my st, i'm not terribly interested in forming a cult but the ability to get around the hundred follower cap would be nice.
                        You understand that you can have more than one hundred Followers by having more than one kind of Followers, right? The Merit says:

                        "This Merit may be re-purchased as many times as desired. Each purchase represents a number of mortal followers with some particular form of expertise that have flocked to the character’s banner."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post

                          You understand that you can have more than one hundred Followers by having more than one kind of Followers, right? The Merit says:

                          "This Merit may be re-purchased as many times as desired. Each purchase represents a number of mortal followers with some particular form of expertise that have flocked to the character’s banner."
                          yes but to get membership of an organization number 10,000 people using only followers would mean taking the merrit 100 times at 3 dots

                          that said i do see myself taking followers many times over to represent the different groups of specialists i have but i was hoping for something to represent the general pool of loyal students in which to elevate these specialists from.
                          Last edited by norraba; 05-01-2017, 12:49 AM.


                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            If you want to lead an organization, you're probably going to want some combination of Influence, Command and/or Followers to provide members, and Resources to maintain costs. Roughly similar to what you'd take to be a ship's captain or the leader of a mercenary company.


                            That was something we explored early in Ex3's design, with the updated Creation-Ruling Mandate, and ultimately discarded, for numerous reasons. I think trying to inject those into your game will simply create complexity with little reward. Could be wrong, though!
                            I feel like there might be a middle ground though, where we get some examples of things that various organizations have accomplished during specific intervals, that we can use as benchmarks when trying to figure out how to use the Project System and stuff.


                            Placeholder

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by norraba View Post

                              yes but to get membership of an organization number 10,000 people using only followers would mean taking the merrit 100 times at 3 dots

                              that said i do see myself taking followers many times over to represent the different groups of specialists i have but i was hoping for something to represent the general pool of loyal students in which to elevate these specialists from.
                              I think when you have 10,000 people, they're not really going to be the sort of thing you personaly train or manage anymore. This is where I think things start breaking down and you probably need administration and such.

                              And stuff.


                              And stuff.
                              Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

                              Comment


                              • So, I couldn't find an answer to this question:
                                What should the ST tell the player when their character fails a Read Intentions action? What happens when a character successfully defends their intentions with their Guile?
                                It basically comes down to: does the character simply not find an answer (for example: "Is the prince in love" would be answered with "you don't know"), or does the character who just defended get to give information that is incorrect (for example: "Is the prince in love" could be answered with "No, he's not" even though he is).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X