This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I could see a single animal form, but anything more than that treads too much on Lunars' toes.
    So would you say the Masks that Command the Animals or whatever they were called, those artifacts in An-Teng, are still canon/a thing?

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
    Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
    Some Lintha QCs
    A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      The fact that Solars don't have a Charm that lets them bypass the social influence system when interacting with mortals is a very deliberate choice. The same reasoning extends to Third Circle Demons et al.

Do you know if there will be a social monster in the hundred parade?

Comment

• Hey Vance, some of the questions regarding Lunars being able to do (X) animal thing got me to thinking about the themes of Lunars. Specifically, Lunars feel to me as though their charms do/should revolve more around the story that they tell rather than the specific details of how, or even the results.

For a specific example, the torpedo ray mentioned above, it seems to me that the story there is about how dangerous the unknown can be. Here is this creature, that can paralyze or steal the strength of a human with nothing but a touch. If I wanted to build a charm around that I'd play to that idea. Perhaps one charm allows you to disable a target's limb when making a surprise/ambush attack. Another could allow you to make an instill action on any target upon whom you count coup, giving them an intimacy of respect or fear toward you without ever knowing why.

I could go on with ideas but my actual question is this, how accurate is my understanding of the core conceit of Lunar charms? That they tell a specific story, a cautionary tale, that the actual effects then flow from?

Comment

• Can a once-nonhuman being that is through some fashion now human become Exalted? For example, a tree affected by a sorcerous working, a rock caught in the Wyld, or a cat blessed by a god?

Comment

• Can charms like Thunderbolt Attack Prana and Leaping Tiger Attack work on the swords turn while in single point form?

Comment

• If I play a crafter, and want to start with a big bag of jade or orichalcum, how should I pay for that, merit-wise?

I found, when playing a crafter before, that magical materials were quite difficult to acquire (mostly I killed enemies with jade weapons, and melted their materials down). That made me think about starting with raw materials to make stuff, but I'm not sure how.
              Also, can you make orichalcum with gold, lava and mirrors, or do you have to mine it?
              And how reasonable is it to use Introduce a Fact for stuff like "there's jade ore in this area/a star will fall over there in a week", etc?
              Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-08-2018, 08:17 AM.

My characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
                The text of Death Ray indicates you use both hands held together to use it. Would this mean that your hands have to be empty to fire it and maintain the beam?
                I'd let you do it with your hands full, as long as you described it in a way that looked cool, like channeling the beam through your grand daiklave.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• If an exalt finds a block of pure, unworked orichalcum. Can he/she attune to it to make it lighter? Or is attunement only possible for artifacts?

Comment

• Originally posted by GenericMaleNPC01 View Post
                    If an exalt finds a block of pure, unworked orichalcum. Can he/she attune to it to make it lighter? Or is attunement only possible for artifacts?
                    Only for artifacts.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
                      So would you say the Masks that Command the Animals or whatever they were called, those artifacts in An-Teng, are still canon/a thing?
                      I don't recall those.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post

Do you know if there will be a social monster in the hundred parade?
                        I wrote one! Although he'd probably object to being called a monster.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Maltry View Post
                          Hey Vance, some of the questions regarding Lunars being able to do (X) animal thing got me to thinking about the themes of Lunars. Specifically, Lunars feel to me as though their charms do/should revolve more around the story that they tell rather than the specific details of how, or even the results.

For a specific example, the torpedo ray mentioned above, it seems to me that the story there is about how dangerous the unknown can be. Here is this creature, that can paralyze or steal the strength of a human with nothing but a touch. If I wanted to build a charm around that I'd play to that idea. Perhaps one charm allows you to disable a target's limb when making a surprise/ambush attack. Another could allow you to make an instill action on any target upon whom you count coup, giving them an intimacy of respect or fear toward you without ever knowing why.

I could go on with ideas but my actual question is this, how accurate is my understanding of the core conceit of Lunar charms? That they tell a specific story, a cautionary tale, that the actual effects then flow from?
                          It's not the core conceit, although Lunars do have a good number of Charms that let them star in cautionary tales of themselves.

The conceptual bedrock of the Lunar Charmset is "superhuman expressions of Attributes." Stuff like shapeshifting your skin into an impenetrable carapace as an expression of superhuman Stamina, affecting body language that activates the flight-or-fight instincts of anyone who sees you as an expression of superhuman Appearance, or reshaping your sensory organs to enable echolocation as an expression of superhuman Perception.

As effects move away from this bedrock, they tend to head in the direction of either the core Lunar identity of being the divine apex predator (stuff like taking the memories of your prey, devouring a slain god's Charms, hunting someone in their dreams), or towards the archetypes of Warrior, Trickster, and Witch expressed by the Lunar Castes.

(What about shapeshifting? It's interwoven throughout the Charm set on every level).

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
                            Can a once-nonhuman being that is through some fashion now human become Exalted? For example, a tree affected by a sorcerous working, a rock caught in the Wyld, or a cat blessed by a god?
                            I'll let the Storyteller answer that.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                              If I play a crafter, and want to start with a big bag of jade or orichalcum, how should I pay for that, merit-wise?

I found, when playing a crafter before, that magical materials were quite difficult to acquire (mostly I killed enemies with jade weapons, and melted their materials down). That made me think about starting with raw materials to make stuff, but I'm not sure how.
                              "Starting equipment" is something that isn't really covered by Merits. Talk to your Storyteller.

Also, can you make orichalcum with gold, lava and mirrors, or do you have to mine it?
                              I believe Arms of the Chosen describes the techniques and equipment needed to refine gold into orichalcum as having been lost to the ages, which means it'd take some significant work to recreate them.

And how reasonable is it to use Introduce a Fact for stuff like "there's jade ore in this area/a star will fall over there in a week", etc?
                              "There be jade in them there hills" is a pretty reasonable fact to introduce, assuming an appropriate background. Predicting a star's descent is...not per se impossible, but I'd imagine that even if a Storyteller allows it, it'd be at a very high difficulty.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                (mostly I killed enemies with jade weapons, and melted their materials down). ?
                                Question for the Devs:

Isn't this supposed to be so difficult as to require a quest on its own? I thought artifacts were nigh-on unbreakable and thus could not be broken down for spare parts easily (or in this case melted down)

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Working...
                                X