This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    A) How common are earthquakes in the Blessed Isle?
    Rare enough to be remarkable, but they do happen. Recent earthquakes are mentioned in The Realm.

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    B) So is it a design choice for this edition to not focus in on the First Age as it was explored in the previous editions and just leave it more vague and nonessential?
    Yes.

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    I ask this since this seems to be the feeling I got after reading through your guys answers relating to First Age stuff. I'm fine with that since the games premise is in the Times of Tumult not in the history of an age lost past. It's just I often found First Age stuff to be more relevant important in making Solar stories since they don't have a cultural background to interact with like the DBs Realm, the Lunar's Silver Pact, or the Sidereal Yu Shan, since while the Solars can pretty much do anything they wish to I always want to tie them back to a larger culture for them not to be so generic, despite that is a way to describe a Solar. So yeah what I'm asking is that while the First Age is gonna be referenced time and time again given it's important, I shouldn't expect a book that will just be about the First Age like it was in the past. Is that a correct assumption to make?
    We don't intend on putting out a book covering the First Age. It's not something we plan to focus on, as we find that it tends to draw attention away from the events of actual play in the Age of Sorrows. Likewise, while groups are free to make First Age memories central to play in their chronicle, it's not going to hold a major role in canonical material.

Also note that 3e's First Age is intended to cover a broad range of societies and cultures, rather than the relatively static monoculture of 2e portrayals. So you're free to make up not only your own First Age at your table, but each Solar's First Age memories may present a very different picture of what First Age life and society was like.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post
      Will the Blessed Isle stuff give details about the Mountain Folk that live under the Imperial Mountain? They have literally never been detailed before outside of 'they exist,' after all - even the 2e Mountain Folk material ignored them entirely in favor of the various directional cities of the Mountain Folk.
      The Realm mentions those Mountain Folk in passing, but doesn't provide any solid information. That will have to wait for some later book!

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• I've been thinking about Steel Devil Style's Double Attack Technique and its derivatives, and have a couple of questions on its mechanics:

1) The Charm description on p462 states "Note that both attacks generate Onslaught". At what point are the bonus attacks of xAT generated for onslaught purposes? I can think of a few interpretations, with a huge variation in the charm's effectiveness:

a) paying for DAT gives you 2 attacks for onslaught purposes, generating 2 Onslaught regardless of whether you beat his DV at all.
        b) you need to beat his DV (eg 5+ successes vs DV 5)
        c) you need to apply at least one success to hitting him a "second time" (eg 6+ successes vs DV 5)
        d) you need to trigger the trigger the bonus damage (eg 9+ successes vs DV 5)

2) If I a roll say 7 successes using DAT vs DV 5, what happens to the 2 Threshold Successes?
        a) They add to damage normally?
        b) or are they used up being applied against the foe's now reduced DV of 4?

3) can you combo Crane Style with Steel Devil using Hook Swords?

4) If an opponent used Dipping Swallow Technique or another DV bonus that defend against 1 attack, would it need to be activated separately against each attack of xAT?

5) I assume you cannot apply Fire and Stones Strike or similar to each attack of xAT?

Comment

• Am I correct in understanding that the offensive capabilities of Invulnerable Skin of Bronze—using medium weapons traits for unarmed attacks—are fair game for unarmed Martial Arts usable with medium or heavier armor?

Are actual weapons with the Brawl tag (like the cestus, khatar, etc.) also usable with unarmed Martial Arts in general, or only styles that specifically mention them like tiger claws for Tiger Style?
          Last edited by Matt the Bruins fan; 10-31-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• I had a couple of questions about the charm Accord of the Unbreakable Spirit (Exalted Core p. 307).

First, can a follower who is initially included in the charm's effects drop out of the chant/prayer/whatever, do something else, and then later come back in (assuming the Solar who initiated it is still maintaining it)?

Second, in the "Special Activation Rules" section of the charm, it says "The Solar may pay six motes, one Willpower at the end of an hour to allow her followers to continue on with the method she has established even after she has gone." My question is, what's the duration of this effect? Is it one hour, like the base charm? If that's the case, can the Solar pay more motes and WP at the end of that hour to keep it going? Or is the duration effectively indefinite, and will continue until all the followers affected drop out of the chant/prayer/meditation? In either case, are the motes spent for the special activation committed? Or is the cost a one-time thing, that the Solar can pay and forget about?

Comment

• There are various evocations that say "this evocation awakens for free when X". I assume if you really want to, you could spend XP to buy it, and get it at character gen as one of your starting charms?

Some charms however, say "this evocation cannot purchased for experience. It awakens at no cost when X". Obviously, that can't be bought for experience; but can you get it as one of your starting charms?

An unrelated question:
              Heartsong allows you to do Gambits which, if they succeed, inflict emotions, intimacies, persuasion attempts, etc.
              If the gambit succeeds, can the target still use WP, Decision Points, etc, to resist these in the normal way?
              Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 10-31-2018, 03:58 PM.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sakii View Post

Thank you for answering my true question.
                So if i dont skip the social system, can a 2CD or 3CD do an AOE Celestial Bliss Trick?
                ...my mind just can't get past the concept of an area of effect Celestial Bliss Trick

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  Some charms however, say "this evocation cannot purchased for experience. It awakens at no cost when X". Obviously, that can't be bought for experience; but can you get it as one of your starting charms?
                  By default, no. The Storyteller might be nice if it fits your backstory really well.

An unrelated question:
                  Heartsong allows you to do Gambits which, if they succeed, inflict emotions, intimacies, persuasion attempts, etc.
                  If the gambit succeeds, can the target still use WP, Decision Points, etc, to resist these in the normal way?
                  Yes, they can resisted with anything that would normally let you resist an influence roll of that type that beat your Resolve.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
                    I had a couple of questions about the charm Accord of the Unbreakable Spirit (Exalted Core p. 307).

First, can a follower who is initially included in the charm's effects drop out of the chant/prayer/whatever, do something else, and then later come back in (assuming the Solar who initiated it is still maintaining it)?
                    I think that'd be fine.

Second, in the "Special Activation Rules" section of the charm, it says "The Solar may pay six motes, one Willpower at the end of an hour to allow her followers to continue on with the method she has established even after she has gone." My question is, what's the duration of this effect? Is it one hour, like the base charm?
                    It's just another hour.

If that's the case, can the Solar pay more motes and WP at the end of that hour to keep it going? Or is the duration effectively indefinite, and will continue until all the followers affected drop out of the chant/prayer/meditation?
                    I don't see why not.

In either case, are the motes spent for the special activation committed? Or is the cost a one-time thing, that the Solar can pay and forget about?
                    Yes, as generally is the case with non-Instant Charms.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                      Am I correct in understanding that the offensive capabilities of Invulnerable Skin of Bronze—using medium weapons traits for unarmed attacks—are fair game for unarmed Martial Arts usable with medium or heavier armor?
                      Yep!

Are actual weapons with the Brawl tag (like the cestus, khatar, etc.) also usable with unarmed Martial Arts in general, or only styles that specifically mention them like tiger claws for Tiger Style?
                      Only ones that specifically mention them.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by hurum View Post
                        I've been thinking about Steel Devil Style's Double Attack Technique and its derivatives, and have a couple of questions on its mechanics:

1) The Charm description on p462 states "Note that both attacks generate Onslaught". At what point are the bonus attacks of xAT generated for onslaught purposes? I can think of a few interpretations, with a huge variation in the charm's effectiveness:

a) paying for DAT gives you 2 attacks for onslaught purposes, generating 2 Onslaught regardless of whether you beat his DV at all.
                        b) you need to beat his DV (eg 5+ successes vs DV 5)
                        c) you need to apply at least one success to hitting him a "second time" (eg 6+ successes vs DV 5)
                        d) you need to trigger the trigger the bonus damage (eg 9+ successes vs DV 5)
                        The onslaught penalty from the "first" attack is applied to the enemy's Defense before determining if the "second" attack hits (and so on like that, for stuff like Triple Attack Technique).

2) If I a roll say 7 successes using DAT vs DV 5, what happens to the 2 Threshold Successes?
                        a) They add to damage normally?
                        b) or are they used up being applied against the foe's now reduced DV of 4?
                        Any remaining extra successes add to damage normally.

3) can you combo Crane Style with Steel Devil using Hook Swords?
                        Yep.

4) If an opponent used Dipping Swallow Technique or another DV bonus that defend against 1 attack, would it need to be activated separately against each attack of xAT?
                        No.

5) I assume you cannot apply Fire and Stones Strike or similar to each attack of xAT?
                        Correct, because it's not actually multiple separate attacks.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          ...my mind just can't get past the concept of an area of effect Celestial Bliss Trick

Well, you have this Deathlord that has multiple wangs.... and i'll stop there.

Comment

• This has come up before, but apparently not been answered in this thread (Or if it has, my search has missed it). Can you clash a decisive attack with a withering attack or vice versa? Seven Cyclones Rearing (ride charm granting a decisive clash to your mount, 386 core) seems to imply that you can, but that's an odd place to have that clarification.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              The onslaught penalty from the "first" attack is applied to the enemy's Defense before determining if the "second" attack hits (and so on like that, for stuff like Triple Attack Technique).
                              So DAT will always generate 2 Onslaught - even if you miss with the "first" attack?

Comment

• Originally posted by tonberrian View Post
                                This has come up before, but apparently not been answered in this thread (Or if it has, my search has missed it). Can you clash a decisive attack with a withering attack or vice versa? Seven Cyclones Rearing (ride charm granting a decisive clash to your mount, 386 core) seems to imply that you can, but that's an odd place to have that clarification.
                                Yes, you can clash whatever with whatever.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X