This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    But my actual question is should their evocation tree be as powerful as if they were Resonant with the evocations (since Resonant evocations tend to be more powerful), or as if they weren't Resonant or Dissonant?
    (I assume that Evocations from signature spells, etc, should not be Dissonant level)
    Given that they're usually going to be custom-made for your character, there's no need to bring Resonant or Dissonant into it. If we publish examples that are accessible by all types of characters (which I think has a decent chance of occurring), we'll make those decisions then.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Fair enough. But, essentially, as I'm not really very good at making charm trees, I was thinking about just copy-pasting stuff. Like, for example, using the evocations of Spring Razor for Wood Dragon Claws, etc. That's why I was wondering about power-level.

"Wizard of Oz, you really are a wizard!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        The Lunars are divine apex predators. The sacred hunt reflects this—it is, quite literally, a hunt. Getting mugged by someone who you end up eating isn't a hunt in any sense.

Note that the Lunars do have Charms that expand their shape-taking capabilities.
        What makes a hunt a "hunt"?

Is it the intent and preparation, or a literal chase and battle sort of "hunt", as Second Edition painted it?

In First Edition, Changing Moons could acquire Heart's Blood by persuading others to do the physical work of tracking, wounding, and restraining the prey so that the Changing Moon could safely deliver the killing blow without breaking a sweat. Not a hunt in terms of a personal chase, but she definitely committed to a deliberate and intentional plan to kill her prey.

Likewise, a No Moon could use her great intellect and wit to set a trap for her prey and then perhaps bombard it with obsidian butterflies until it dies, and then lick some of the blood. Or, if not a sorcerer, perhaps line the trap with poisoned spikes that do the work for her, and then she takes the blood without a chase or actual battle.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          I'm assuming you're referring to the Virtuous Guardian of Flame's ability to detect threats the sorcerer is unaware of. It'd still get to roll against the White Veil stylist's (Manipulation + Socialize), and if it beats it, would provide the normal benefits of a defend other even against an ambush (although the sorcerer would still suffer all the downsides of an ambush if the attacker overcomes the Guardian's Parry).

The same is true of ambushes and defend others generally.
          Does Favor Conferring Prana or Empowering Shout work on Virtuous Gaurdian of Flame?

Craft rewrite.
          Twitter Handle: at maudova

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
            What makes a hunt a "hunt"?

Is it the intent and preparation, or a literal chase and battle sort of "hunt", as Second Edition painted it?

In First Edition, Changing Moons could acquire Heart's Blood by persuading others to do the physical work of tracking, wounding, and restraining the prey so that the Changing Moon could safely deliver the killing blow without breaking a sweat. Not a hunt in terms of a personal chase, but she definitely committed to a deliberate and intentional plan to kill her prey.

Likewise, a No Moon could use her great intellect and wit to set a trap for her prey and then perhaps bombard it with obsidian butterflies until it dies, and then lick some of the blood. Or, if not a sorcerer, perhaps line the trap with poisoned spikes that do the work for her, and then she takes the blood without a chase or actual battle.
            Fangs at the Gate will cover this in depth.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudova View Post

Does Favor Conferring Prana or Empowering Shout work on Virtuous Gaurdian of Flame?
              From a strict reading, no. On the other hand, if your group finds a Solar shouting "Ganbatte!" to encourage a magical sword of fire endearing or awesome, nothing's gonna break.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Don't know whether you guys have have an answer for this now given it isn't a priority. But in the Exigent book you will be detailing how to create Charms yeah, will you guys also go in how to design Excellencies? Also for the three Demi-canon Exalteds, will you guys be detailing on what their Excellencies would be or will you guys also leave that to those who wish to home-brew them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post
                  Don't know whether you guys have have an answer for this now given it isn't a priority. But in the Exigent book you will be detailing how to create Charms yeah, will you guys also go in how to design Excellencies?
                  Yeah.

Also for the three Demi-canon Exalteds, will you guys be detailing on what their Excellencies would be or will you guys also leave that to those who wish to home-brew them?
                  Not sure yet.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Reposting two questions

Dan Dawn Caste is fighting John Q. Sidereal. Dan is a Single Point practitioner and uses Fatal Stroke Flash against John. John is the Bronze Faction Assassin from the core book and uses Unwavering Well-Being Meditation. Does Dan reduce his raw Decisive damage BEFORE adding the bonus from Fatal Stroke Flash, or AFTER?
                    a question on the Belt of Shadow Walking; how does it interact with flaring Anima while the user is in shadow form? Does the shadow shine with the character's Anima in the material, dematerial, both or neither?

Comment

• Are things (and people) made with Wyld-Shaping Technique fully "real" in 3e? 2e had that clause where Wyld-shaped stuff was at risk of fading away if it didn't interact with anything from Creation, and creatures were outside Creation's processes of life and death -- but I don't see anything like that in the 3e version of the Charm.

So do Wyld-shaped mortals (for example) in 3e interact with the cycle of reincarnation normally?

Comment

• So, I've been thinking a lot about the Charm/Knack "Twin-Faced Hero" from prior Editions.

I'd estimate that, since Manual of Exalted Power: Lunars was published, discourse concerning and general awareness of matters related to gender identity has come a long way, not just with trans issues, but the matter of non-binary gender identities. Obviously it can be seen that the writers have awareness of such, with the inclusion of an agender Dragon Blood in What Fire Has Wrought, and I recall at least one non-binary person included in Adversaries.

I can't help but feel as though, in the context of that awareness and representation, some of the older attitudes around Twin-Faced Hero are a bit outdated, or at least awkward. Honestly, I feel as though the place of the power in its original contexts were a bit awkward and ambiguous (is it about having an option for disguise without needing Heart's Blood? Introducing a characterisation point in which shapeshifting makes gender something aesthetic to be manipulated or ignored at will*, which requires spending XP and intricate mechanical representation? Actually there as an option for genderfluid characters to apply shapeshifting to transition at will), and for contemporary observation and consumption needs even more consideration.

That's not just in terms of the way it might interact with characters that are actually non-binary, but what it might mean for it to be available as a power to binary cisgender people. Considering how it was always a power about changing the characteristic of your original body, I think it expresses this issue with far more weight and significance than disguise powers or regular shapeshifting to assume an appearance with a different gender than one's own.

Personally, I can't quite think of a satisfactory solution (at least not a straightforward one), since removing the power altogether seems like it would give short shift to representation of non-binary people, and the idea of retaining it as something only available to such characters feels as though it might have issues with the logistics of writing it (including the awkward question of whether or not it's something you need to actually purchase, and if there are implications to saying that it's an inherent power of people with the appropriate gender identity). I'm fully aware that the latter concern might constitute biases interfering with my priorities.

The point of my lengthy pre-amble is to ask for any preliminary thoughts on what place (if any) the power might have in the upcoming book.

* I've thought for quite some time that the subject has been often disrupted a bit by both Editions referring to a Lunar character that had, through continuous use and experimentation, "forgotten" their "original" gender.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Oh, it's doing this again...

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• How much of a thematic gap will there between the Raksha and Dreamed-Soul, Raksha are probably gonna get a splatbook somewhere down eventually so I’m wondering how much of an overlap there will be with these optional exalts given since even discounting the connection between the Wyld, the ability to warp reality is also something that seems common between them. So how much of a diverge are you guys considering? Is it as far as the shared link of Underworld between Abyssals and Liminals but not much else or is it closer then that?

Also you have mentioned that the Hearteaters are corrupted Exalts from an age long past, I’m curious did their Incarnae share their fate or was it only something that happened to the Exaltions like it is with the Infernals and Abyssals?

Comment

• Some questions about the upcoming Lunar book:

Will it contain additional mutations to expand upon what's already in the core rule book?

Will Lunars need to buy the "speak in animal form" charm again, or will that be an intrinsic benefit similar to how hiding tattoos isn't supposed to cost a charm now?

Will there be any Martial Arts included in the books that are Lunar derived, and if so would they synergize at all with a lunar's essence like with dragonblooded's immaculate styles?

How will Lunars keep up with Solars and their Supernal abilities in mixed Solar/Lunar games, especially with there being a good chance of overlapping focuses (like combat or infiltration)?

Comment

• Dan Dawn Caste is fighting John Q. Sidereal. Dan is a Single Point practitioner and uses Fatal Stroke Flash against John. John is the Bronze Faction Assassin from the core book and uses Unwavering Well-Being Meditation. Does Dan reduce his raw Decisive damage BEFORE adding the bonus from Fatal Stroke Flash, or AFTER?
                                Per standard order of operations, addition and subtraction occur at the same time. However, Fatal Stroke Flash's cap cares about your Initiative, not your base damage, so it wouldn't be affected.

a question on the Belt of Shadow Walking; how does it interact with flaring Anima while the user is in shadow form? Does the shadow shine with the character's Anima in the material, dematerial, both or neither?
                                Hrm. Tricky, as dematerializing isn't really a standard Stealth effect, but it is definitely Stealth-adjacent. I think it'd only be visible to characters capable of viewing the dematerialized, but if someone else thinks it should work the other way, I'm not gonna disagree with them.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Working...
                                X