This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpharius View Post
    Is there any mechanical or thematic reasons Mantis has every other stick based weapon but the bo staff itself as a style weapon? I was looking over Arms of the Chosen and one of the few Starmetal artifacts is a martial arts weapon only really usable with Wood Dragon and Golden Janissary, and it struck me as odd. I love them both, but they're both pretty esoteric compared to a simple animal style of 'use stick to lock up limbs, then brutally SNAP limbs'.
    The real-world styles it draws inspiration from aren't staff-heavy.

As an addendum: Will any of the new styles forthcoming in Lunars give the noble staff a chance to shine in a less abstract, soul punching, creature of darkness immolating way?
    Yep. I'd expect to see more staff styles going forward as well because, you know, staff.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• I'd be shocked if whenever we got Monkey it weren't staff-based. <_<

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
        I'd be shocked if whenever we got Monkey it weren't staff-based. <_<
        As would i. How else are we gonna play Moonmoonar Wu Kong?

Comment

• Can battlegroups benefit from the legendary size merit? Like say a group of elephants? Though how would the benefits of that merit even carry over...

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
          Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
          Some Lintha QCs
          A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

• Originally posted by TDS View Post
            Can battlegroups benefit from the legendary size merit? Like say a group of elephants? Though how would the benefits of that merit even carry over...
            Yeah, if they're all Legendary Size.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              Yep. I'd expect to see more staff styles going forward as well because, you know, staff.
              Does that include Laughing Monster Style, which was originally based on the Raksha STAFF-Grace?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

• Congrats on starting Across the Eight Directions.

Which places are you most excited to write about?

And is it purely fluff, or does it have some mechanics? (Like how the Compass books used to have write-ups of monsters and antagonists at the back)

I play...
                Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  Congrats on starting Across the Eight Directions.
                  Thank you!

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  Which places are you most excited to write about?
                  Well, we're not doing much of the actual writing. But we have brand-new locales lined up in just about every Direction, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the writing team makes of them!

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  And is it purely fluff, or does it have some mechanics? (Like how the Compass books used to have write-ups of monsters and antagonists at the back)
                  It's almost all setting material, but there will be a few Quick Character write-ups, mechanical guidelines for some local magics, and maybe a few random tables.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Was Peremuz created by a Working or through some other means? If a Working, what Circle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                      Well, we're not doing much of the actual writing. But we have brand-new locales lined up in just about every Direction, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the writing team makes of them!
                      When it comes to large sections of fluff being written by others besides you and Vance, how involved are you two in the final product? I know that 2e had an issue of writers going off without a thorough review which led to contradictions of big elements introduced to the world that others had to compensate for. I have no doubt you've both picked writers who are exemplary, but for consistency-sake what does that process look like from them writing it to it getting published? Are you in there somewhere?

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                      It's almost all setting material, but there will be a few Quick Character write-ups, mechanical guidelines for some local magics, and maybe a few random tables.
                      Random tables, you say? As in "assorted tables" or "tables for randomly generating things"? Both are neat, but the latter is significantly cooler. I LOVE random generation tables (where you roll a die and X result happens) so I admit I'm hoping that's the case, but I accept it may not be.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                        Was Peremuz created by a Working or through some other means? If a Working, what Circle?
                        If you wanted to do something similar at the table, an Ambition 3 Terrestial working seems like a good fit.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

When it comes to large sections of fluff being written by others besides you and Vance, how involved are you two in the final product? I know that 2e had an issue of writers going off without a thorough review which led to contradictions of big elements introduced to the world that others had to compensate for. I have no doubt you've both picked writers who are exemplary, but for consistency-sake what does that process look like from them writing it to it getting published? Are you in there somewhere?
                          Here's what the standard process tends to look like.

• We write an outline of the book. For each locale in it, the outline essentially tells the writer what we'd like to see in it.

• The writer assigned to that piece takes the outline, looks at that, and uses it to write their first draft.

• The writer sends their first draft into us. We read it over, and mark it up with any changes we'd like to see made ("redlines").

• We send the redlines to the writer, who uses them to write a second draft.

• In the development process, we might make some final edits to a second draft if it needs them.

So, while we may not be the ones writing them, we're heavily involved.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                            Here's what the standard process tends to look like.

• We write an outline of the book. For each locale in it, the outline essentially tells the writer what we'd like to see in it.

• The writer assigned to that piece takes the outline, looks at that, and uses it to write their first draft.

• The writer sends their first draft into us. We read it over, and mark it up with any changes we'd like to see made ("redlines").

• We send the redlines to the writer, who uses them to write a second draft.

• In the development process, we might make some final edits to a second draft if it needs them.

So, while we may not be the ones writing them, we're heavily involved.
                            This is exactly how I hoped it worked, but I appreciate you spelling it out. As always, thanks for your feedback and clarity. Your constant engagement with us is keeping the community thriving and developing faith in the future of the line. Bravo.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                              Random tables, you say? As in "assorted tables" or "tables for randomly generating things"?
                              The latter.

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                                The latter.
                                You've made me the happiest boy.

Comment

Working...
                                X