Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my book! It's super fancy and I can't read the cover!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my book! It's super fancy and I can't read the cover!

So I sprung for one of the super fancy Ultra deluxe corebooks with the gold plate cover, and was immediately fascinated with and thwarted by the cover written in Old Realm.

I'm trying to translate it using the guide in Dotfa, but it's slow going. Has anybody taken a crack at it?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
    So I sprung for one of the super fancy Ultra deluxe corebooks with the gold plate cover, and was immediately fascinated with and thwarted by the cover written in Old Realm.

I'm trying to translate it using the guide in Dotfa, but it's slow going. Has anybody taken a crack at it?
    Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Not having that version, could you put a photo up?

And sutff.

And stuff.
      Made signature by moderator request. Any actual typing of "And stuff." is out of habitual reflex.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's just the alphabet. None of the glyphs seem to repeat, so I doubt it's an actual text.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
        [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
        [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Sadly, I don't have anything that can take quality pictures. It would just come out looking like mud.

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
          I'm pretty sure it's just the alphabet. None of the glyphs seem to repeat, so I doubt it's an actual text.
          Multiple glyphs actually do repeat; It's definitely saying something. I'll get back to you guys if I figure it out.

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

I found this picture of the cover, but I can't make out some of the glyphs father from the camera:
            http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-conten...nd-Edition.jpg

Comment

This translation is relevant to my interests.

The Lunar Castebooks fan project

Comment

Piggyback. Do we know what it says on the regular Deluxe? That's High Realm, right?

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                  Piggyback. Do we know what it says on the regular Deluxe? That's High Realm, right?
                  "EXAL(A)TED(E) 3"

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                    I found this picture of the cover, but I can't make out some of the glyphs father from the camera:
                    That's not a photograph.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

That's not a photograph.
                      Correct. My copy has black leather, and has different glyphs on the plate.

Good News! I believe I have translated the first four glyphs!

"Kome oho newo era." = "Come oh new era."

It's a work in progress.

Comment

The image of the metal cover provided for the Kickstart was just the Old Realm 'alphabet'. I am interested in what the actual cover says. I can say from experience that translating Old Realm text can be quit difficult and time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post

Correct. My copy has black leather, and has different glyphs on the plate.

Good News! I believe I have translated the first four glyphs!

"Kome oho newo era." = "Come oh new era."

It's a work in progress.
                          You go! Go! Go!!!!!!!!

Comment

Can you post a pic?

Join the Strife

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                              Can you post a pic?
                              Success! I've got an excellent quality scan of the cover. Know any good (preferably free) picture hosting sites? I don't know how the forum will deal with uploading images directly from my computer.

Since we have Rich Thomas here, do I have permission to upload a scan of the Orichalchum edition cover (just the cover) to the forums so we can unravel the mystery of the century?

Edit: Progress is very slow. The language presented here is obviously stylized; for example, the symbols for the syllable "Ra" have been combined together into one symbol, and artistic license has been taken with others. The symbols for the fifth glyph are completely unrecognizable to me.

This is going to have to be a group effort!
                              Last edited by Prometheus878; 03-30-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X