Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got my book! It's super fancy and I can't read the cover!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichT View Post

In the near future? No, I want backers who got the O Edition to have a chance to decipher it if they want. Later? Absolutely.
    Sorry, that's what I mean by near future.... like a month or more from now. So we're on the same page, thank you!

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

No, he is specifically referring to my post about changing the symbols from the mesoamerican to something more fantastic and that he prefers the original glyphs rather than the ones I worked up specifically to better fit Exalted. There is no reason at all to give that opinion in this thread. Nobody asked for a critique, folks were having fun deciphering them.

No. They said they preferred the Mesoamerican symbols, they also said that the work (the 3 weeks of effort and such) you did was so superb that it transcended their preference regardless and they think your version is the best one for the deluxe cover. To the point they wish they could throw a couple hundred dollars at you to get the point home. Presumably they felt this before you decided to take a bite out of them and make the thread awkward.

What is a matter with you? It seems recently that every thread that has the slightest, faintest hint of not 100% praise you act in a way that is shocking. Could you just not?

Comment

No, he is specifically referring to my post about changing the symbols from the mesoamerican to something more fantastic and that he prefers the original glyphs rather than the ones I worked up specifically to better fit Exalted. There is no reason at all to give that opinion in this thread. Nobody asked for a critique, folks were having fun deciphering them.
        Rich, don't you think you're overreacting a little bit? It was an offhand comment. He just said he preferred the other look. That's barely criticism. I don't really understand why you seem pissed about it.

Comment

My turn to add a few words...

*Rows from left to right. Glyphs up to down. Syllables in (parenthesis) are symbols I'm unsure of.*

First Row:

1 First character: (Ko) Me --> Come

2 Second character: O Ho --> Oh

3 Third character: Ne Wo --> New

4 Fourth character: (E) Ra --> Era

- Sentence Break

5 Fifth character: (Gu or We) Si --> DiSi --> This

6 Sixth character: ? ? --> ISi --> Is

7 Seventh character: Da --> The

8 Eighth character: Ta Xu --> Ta Le --> Tale

9 Ninth character: ? Fa --> OFa --> Of

10 Tenth character: Da --> The

Second Row:

11 First character: ? Xa La (Te) ? --> EXaLaTeDe --> Exalted

- Sentence Break

12 Second character: He Re --> Here

13 Third character: Li ? ? --> LiESe --> Lies

14 Fourth character: Da --> The

15 Fifth character: Po (Le) Re --> PoWeRe --> Power

16 Sixth character: ? Fa --> OFa --> Of

17 Seventh character: ? (Ko) Re ? De --> UNuKoNeKeReDe --> Unconquered

18 Eighth character: Su Nu --> Sun

19 Ninth character: Da --> The

Third Row:

20 First character: Ri ? (Pi) (Ti) --> Ri Gi Pi Ti --> Right

21 Second character: To

22 Third character: Ru Xu --> Ru Le --> Rule

23 Fourth character: Re Re (U) O ? --> ? Re A ? O Na --> Creation (?)

- Sentence Break

24 Fifth character: (U) La ?

25 Sixth character: ? ? Ri ? ?

26 Seventh character: Be

27 Eighth character: To

28 Ninth character: Do Se

Fourth Row:

29 First character: ? Ho

30 Second character: (Ha) Fe

31 Third character: (Ru) ? Te De

32 Fourth character: U Su

33 Fifth character: To

34 Sixth character: Da

35 Seventh character: He U ? Ne

36 Eighth character: U ? (Da)

37 Ninth character: (Ha) Fe

38 Tenth character: (Wa) ? Te De

Fifth Row:

39 First character: Do ? Na Da ? *This one has extremely odd syllable placement.*

40 Second character: O ? --> OFo --> Of

41 Third character: Ye (U) Ra Sa --> Years

42 Fourth character: ? ?

43 Fifth character: ? Si --> FoRo --> For

44 Sixth character: Mo Me Ne Te --> Moment

45 Seventh character: O ? --> OFo --> Of

46 Eighth character: (Ti) Ri U ? ? --> TiRiUMuFu --> Triumph

47 Ninth character: U ? Da

48 Tenth character: ? ? Se (Te) ?

Comment

For what it's worth, I thought he was being playful.

The new symbols look great, as did the old ones, and the new ones are particularly better suited for the Orichalcum Cover that I wish I could have sprung for. I also really like the Deluxe Edition I have, though. If only I had unlimited resources, I could have gotten one of each.

EDIT: Switched my thoughts on translation to the format everyone is using:

*Rows from left to right. Glyphs up to down. Syllables in (parenthesis) are symbols I'm unsure of.*

First Row:

1 First character: (Ko) Me --> Come

2 Second character: O Ho --> Oh

3 Third character: Ne Wo --> New

4 Fourth character: (E) Ra --> Era

- Sentence Break

5 Fifth character: (Gu or We) Si --> DiSi --> This

6 Sixth character: ? ? --> ISi --> Is

7 Seventh character: Da --> The

8 Eighth character: Ta Xu --> Ta Le --> Tale

9 Ninth character: ? Fa --> OFa --> Of

10 Tenth character: Da --> The

Second Row:

11 First character: ? Xa La (Te) ? --> EXaLaTeDe --> Exalted

- Sentence Break

12 Second character: He Re --> Here

13 Third character: Li ? ? --> LiESe --> Lies

14 Fourth character: Da --> The

15 Fifth character: Po (Le) Re --> PoWeRe --> Power

16 Sixth character: ? Fa --> OFa --> Of

17 Seventh character: ? (Ko) Re ? De --> UNuKoNeKeReDe --> Unconquered

18 Eighth character: Su Nu --> Sun

19 Ninth character: Da --> The

Third Row:

20 First character: Ri ? (Pi) (Ti) --> Ri Gi Pi Ti --> Right

21 Second character: To

22 Third character: Ru Xu --> Ru Le --> Rule

23 Fourth character: Re Re (U) O ? --> ? Re A ? O Na --> Creation (?)

- Sentence Break

24 Fifth character: (U) La ?

25 Sixth character: ? ? Ri ? ?

26 Seventh character: Be

27 Eighth character: To

28 Ninth character: Do Se --> Those

Fourth Row:

29 First character: ? Ho --> Who

30 Second character: (Ha) Fe --> Have

31 Third character: (Ru) ? Te De

32 Fourth character: U Su --> Us

33 Fifth character: To

34 Sixth character: Da --> The

35 Seventh character: He U ? Ne

36 Eighth character: U ? (Da)

37 Ninth character: (Ha) Fe --> Have

38 Tenth character: (Wa) ? Te De

Fifth Row:

39 First character: Do ? Na Da ? *This one has extremely odd syllable placement.*

40 Second character: O ? --> OFo --> Of

41 Third character: Ye (U) Ra Sa --> Years

42 Fourth character: ? ?

43 Fifth character: ? Si --> FoRo --> For

44 Sixth character: Mo Me Ne Te --> Moment

45 Seventh character: O ? --> OFo --> Of

46 Eighth character: (Ti) Ri U ? ? --> TiRiUMuFu --> Triumph

47 Ninth character: U ? Da

48 Tenth character: ? ? Se (Te) ?
            Last edited by deraforia; 03-31-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volver View Post

No. They said they preferred the Mesoamerican symbols, they also said that the work (the 3 weeks of effort and such) you did was so superb that it transcended their preference regardless and they think your version is the best one for the deluxe cover. To the point they wish they could throw a couple hundred dollars at you to get the point home. Presumably they felt this before you decided to take a bite out of them and make the thread awkward.

What is a matter with you? It seems recently that every thread that has the slightest, faintest hint of not 100% praise you act in a way that is shocking. Could you just not?
              That's a lovely interpretation, but simply not what was said. "Be perfecty honest, I like the more Mesoamerican look in general, but htis cleaned up look for a cover is nice." does not contain anything of the sentiment or meaning you're reading into it. In a thread that was about deciphering the glyphs and where I thought it might help folks to know that there have been deliberate changes and why, there was no reason to apply any kind of critical commentary. None.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post

Rich, don't you think you're overreacting a little bit? It was an offhand comment. He just said he preferred the other look. That's barely criticism. I don't really understand why you seem pissed about it.
                Because there was no need for ANY criticism here. I don't care if he or everyone prefers the old glyphs, that's not the issue. The issue is posting about it in a thread that isn't about opinions on the look of the glyphs. When other Exalted fans tell you they don't post in this forum because they are afraid of being ripped apart, that they feel like anything here just gets hyper-criticized, then that is a problem and this right here is an example of it. I'm trying not to post this in a way that directly attacks anyone, but just look at the defensive behavior going on because I didn't just laugh it off but protested as a creator.

Comment

Question for those doing the translation. Where are we finding the alphabet stuff that is being matched up to figure out what is being said on the cover? I want to try and do it myself once my book arrives, but I'd like to know if it's in the core itself or if I need to dig through a different book.

Comment

The original glyphs came in one of the books that conformed the Dreams of the First Age pack.

Join the Strife

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                      Question for those doing the translation. Where are we finding the alphabet stuff that is being matched up to figure out what is being said on the cover? I want to try and do it myself once my book arrives, but I'd like to know if it's in the core itself or if I need to dig through a different book.
                      I'm looking in "Lands of Creation", from the Dreams of the First Age boxset. If you don't have that book, here is an ok image to look at instead: http://img11.deviantart.net/0bba/i/2...os-d8dxn2n.png

Comment

There was no reason to apply any kind of critical commentary. None.
                        You do realise that the only thing that soured this thread full of excited fans essentially doing ARG levels of homework and note sharing was you deciding that anything beside praise was something anathema to the conversation?

When other Exalted fans tell you they don't post in this forum because they are afraid of being ripped apart, that they feel like anything here just gets hyper-criticized, then that is a problem and this right here is an example of it.
                        The most common complaint I hear about this forum, and what kept me from joining after the switch over from WW, was hearing that idea or posts made that werent "Good Advertising" were unwelcome. That this place is a glorified posterchild for selling product rather then a community of fans with differing opinions and ideas.

On the eve of the whole community being incredibly positive and engaging with the new devs after Years of...what was before...It just is shocking to see every/any possible level of criticism to be attacked by a person of authority like this. It's distasteful.

Comment

Thank you. Now I just need the book to be less in North Carolina and more westward.

Comment

Originally posted by Volver View Post

You do realise that the only thing that soured this thread full of excited fans essentially doing ARG levels of homework and note sharing was you deciding that anything beside praise was something anathema to the conversation?

The most common complaint I hear about this forum, and what kept me from joining after the switch over from WW, was hearing that idea or posts made that werent "Good Advertising" were unwelcome. That this place is a glorified posterchild for selling product rather then a community of fans with differing opinions and ideas.

On the eve of the whole community being incredibly positive and engaging with the new devs after Years of...what was before...It just is shocking to see every/any possible level of criticism to be attacked by a person of authority like this. It's distasteful.
                            You're ignoring my reasons and instead are repeatedly attacking me and our forum moderation policies. All because I objected to a comment that I felt was unnecessary and essentially thread crapping. Yes, the reaction here and elsewhere to our changes has been uniformly positive, which has been awesome, but even then we had to stop a few posters from falling back into old habits because we absolutely do not want a fourth set of developers driven from our very own forums. This should be home base for our creators where they can trade ideas with our most devoted Exalted fans.

Comment

It's in response to them being changed, yes. I personally prefer the rougher Mayan aesthetic, although I also like this cleaner, more fantasy one. I personally liked the rougher Mayan look myself since it seeme dmore 1) A style fitting the langauge of the titans and 2) Exalted to me is pretty big on being a setting that draws from many places, including culutres not often seen in fantasy. The Mayan look to the original Old Realm script was done if I remember correcty by GCG because of the Old Realm itself having a bit of a Mesoamerican motif, much in the same way the Realm today has the Roman/Chinese paintjob going.

I'll note I also tried to contribute to the translation, would still of liked the book and still think the more refined/gylphy Old Realm is interesting. I just am of the opinion that it also didn't need replacing and will at least for my purposes probably end up using both, since the old one I think looks interesting for stuff like illustrations of monuments or as decorations on weapons when I do Exalted-themed art, while the latter is probably better ffor iconography like banners, books and rune circles. It's like having a new font of the old language, which I find interesting.

And stuff.

Comment

You're ignoring my reasons and instead are repeatedly attacking me and our forum moderation policies.
                                Before this goes much farther lets dispel this notion. I am not "attacking" you, repeatedly or singularly. I am criticizing the way you were treating Blaque, I find the idea of you framing his contributions which included opinion not "On Message" with thread crapping to be, well, distasteful.

I am also not "attacking" this forums moderation policies i was providing an anecdote to contrast the anecdote you had posted previously.

As for the rest, yes it would be nice if civility ran both ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X