No announcement yet.

We Want Gateway: The Boardgame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a picture of Gateway in 1e (just next to the passage where it is first introduced) that shows a Gateway board with 20 spaces, five triangular boards on three tiers, each with four triangular spaces, arranged in a pentagon.

It would be very difficult to develop a viable strategic game with so few spaces, so if it were to use that format I would expand each board to have 16 triangular spaces for a total of 80.

Later in the same chapter there is mention of a fast-paced variant game called Hunting Cat. Little else is mentioned about it.
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 04-02-2017, 07:20 AM.

A Clutch of Dragons: Hub Thread, Presence, Resistance, Ride, Sail, Socialize Stealth, Survival, Thrown, War, First Draft pdf<NEW

Comment

Just to make my voice heard, here:

I don't particularly want a real-life Gateway set. Connected as it is to the Exalted setting, it'd be next-to-impossible for me to find someone who knows the game, so I'd have to teach anyone I'd care to play with how to play, and, well…

I'd much rather just teach them to play Exalted, and then play that.
      Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-02-2017, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crumplepunch View Post
        There is a picture of Gateway in 1e (just next to the passage where it is first introduced) that shows a Gateway board with 20 spaces, five triangular boards on three tiers, each with four triangular spaces, arranged in a pentagon.

It would be very difficult to develop a viable strategic game with so few spaces, so if it were to use that format I would expand each board to have 16 triangular spaces for a total of 80.

Later in the same chapter there is mention of a fast-paced variant game called Hunting Cat. Little else is mentioned about it.
        Yeah, I wouldn't trust a sketch, or an artist's rendition really, beyond rough inspiration.

---

Personally I'd make it a unit-building game, where you pick how many of any given unit you have. Like chess mixed with Warhammer and Go; Gateways dictate where you can place units and board size depends on how many gateways are allowed. I'm not sure if you can control Gateway position though, as you can't control where Celestial Gates are in "real life". So maybe it's a 9x9 board per gateway (with it in the center). Dead units stay on the board as corpses and spending too long near a corpse can kill a unit. Maybe units can "teleport" through Gateways, creating complex lines of threat.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
        Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Just to make my voice heard, here:

I don't particularly want a real-life Gateway set. Connected as it is to the Exalted setting, it'd be next-to-impossible for me to find someone who knows the game, so I'd have to teach anyone I'd care to play with how to play, and, well…

I'd much rather just teach them to play Exalted, and then play that.
          Thats great and all, but since this is a thread for people that want it, your voice has no place here. Never did i ask to weigh the pros and cons; this is a thread only for those that would be excited and willing to buy the game.

So if youre just here to troll and say how its a bad idea, get out.

But all these ideas being thrown around are amazing! Im happy to see so many as interested as I. I agree with many of you, it would be tough to develop... but thats why we get opp to hire someone to do it! XP

Comment

Originally posted by Arteliex View Post
            Thats great and all, but since this is a thread for people that want it, your voice has no place here. Never did i ask to weigh the pros and cons; this is a thread only for those that would be excited and willing to buy the game.

I'm not saying "It's a bad idea," I'm saying, "I emphatically don't want this product, and will not buy it if it gets made." There's a difference.

More importantly, you may not be interested in my thoughts regarding the game, but obviously some people are, and a company with limited resources shouldn't commit to a major project without seeing how many people actually want the thing. That's a good way to sink a small fortune into something that only gets bought by five people.

But since you asked nicely and all, I'll withdraw from the conversation.

Adieu.
            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-02-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

In my games if it comes up, it is a place for people to use the war skill and make references to anime gaming anime...

Comment

Originally posted by Arteliex View Post

​I've already addressed this with TCA, but in the future please do not tell other people to get out of a thread. That's a right strictly reserved for the moderation staff. Flag the post and the moderators will deal with the threadcrapping.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                Posts in this color are moderator posts
                Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                Forum Terms of Use
                the Contact Us link.

Comment

A suggestion: rather then ask/request/demand Onyx Path make Gateway, how about we develop the rules with express permission for Onyx Path to use them with no cost if/when they make Gateway? that way we get rules for Gateway and Onyx Path gets ideas for if they decide to pursue it.

Comment

Originally posted by Protector152 View Post
                    A suggestion: rather then ask/request/demand Onyx Path make Gateway, how about we develop the rules with express permission for Onyx Path to use them with no cost if/when they make Gateway? that way we get rules for Gateway and Onyx Path gets ideas for if they decide to pursue it.
                    Strictly speaking, I think you'd have to involve Paradox in that whole permissions chain at some point, considering that Onyx Path is licensing from them.

Comment

true, should we be directing inquires to Paradox for Gateway? either way developing Gateway ourselves looks like out best chance for the game right now, at least to me.

Comment

Strictly speaking, do we need permission to make a board game with the name Gateway? Especially if it's free? How is that different that writing a homebrew splat book full of charms? If we planned to charge people for it, then yeah there's some licensing stuff to discuss, but I guess I assumed we were going to crowd-source ideas to make something free.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                          Strictly speaking, do we need permission to make a board game with the name Gateway? Especially if it's free? How is that different that writing a homebrew splat book full of charms? If we planned to charge people for it, then yeah there's some licensing stuff to discuss, but I guess I assumed we were going to crowd-source ideas to make something free.
                          To be truly safe, it has to be made clearly unofficial. e.g. chances are we couldn't use the actual Exalted logo, fonts and whatnot, because the argument could be made (in court) that the average consumer could mistake it for an official product and thus it could be argued that we're doing damage to the brand.

But we can call it Gateway and use sun imagery. "Gateway" isn't trademarked, and even it was, it's a common word. Bethesda tried to pull that shit with "Scrolls" and failed.

Jade-Screened Exalted Finding the Path
                          Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

Either way, I'd love to own a Gateway game I could play.

Comment

Working...
                            X